Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
WarrenMoose

Cycl 3 Misfire Code

Recommended Posts

WarrenMoose

I have a 2007 Malibu VTX with a 340 Monsoon engine.  I just got  a Cycl 3 Misfire SPN 65593 code.  Engine was running a bit rough as I was powering out of the launch.   As I pushed the throttle down I got the code at about 2000 rpm and the motor would not increase in rpm.  Reset the  code and tried again and go the same outcome.

I pulled the spark plug lead and reinstalled it a couple of times.   At one point I was able to throttle past 3000 rpm and it seamed like things were back to normal, but then the motor dropped in rpm and the code came back on.  From this I think I need to pull the cycl 3 spark plug and look for a problem such as a crack in the ceramic.  As I am not on the water with no access to a descent water supply (Fake Lake) and the launch is the worse I have ever had the misfortune to use, I'm wondering if anyone on this site has any other suggestions before I take it out again.  

I was also thinking of pulling the distributor to see if there is some corrosion but I can't see a way to actually take it off because of the large cast aluminum piece on top of the motor covers part of it up.  I will post a pic of this shortly.

Any help would be much appreciated as it could save the family vacation I'm on.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
formulaben

How old are the plugs, rotor, cap, and wires?  If they haven't been changed lately (especially the plugs) just swap them all out with new components...even if you have to troubleshoot further you'll be able to eliminate those as suspects.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

had a similar code recently.  wires, cap and rotor is what I replaced - plugs were new so I swapped a couple of them to see if code followed. Cap had some corrosion Ultimately it seemed to be a bad wire. Distributor cap is a pain to get at, had to remove the plenum bolts and move it to the side a bit so I could get at the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
WarrenMoose

Thanks for the reply gents.   Turned out to be the plug...the easy fix!!! Cracked ceramic.  Will put in new set in the morning and then off to the lake for the true test.  

I still would like to pull the rotor to check it /clean it or replace it.  Sounds like lots of people improved performance especially if they had aluminum contacts.   Looking at it again I think it has two torque head screws holding it in place.  The one towards the stern is accessible but the one at the front is not accessible due to the ski rope post.  Might have to take out the rear bench seat to access it.  Bummer.

Thanks again for the replies.  I'll post the results from tomorrows run. 

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

taking out the seat back would be pretty extreme. If the pylon is in the way, remove the bolt that holds it in. Consider a 1/4 ratchet with a torx bit in it.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...