Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission/Exhaust Access Panel Rebuild (2000 Response LX)

spinxt

The access panel in the floor of my 2000 RLX is starting to collapse (closest to the engine cover where there is little support underneath).   A friend of mine rebuilt his with aluminum panels, which was quite involved.   Has anyone out there come up with another alternative that provides adequate support in the floor.   I also don't want to use wood.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you get the original aluminum honeycomb material?  I called malibu and they said they don't use it anymore and don't have any laying around.

@spinxt:  You could make one from carbon fiber cloth & epoxy resin wrapped around a core material such as Corecell / Divinicell.  You could also use Marine plywood as a core but you indicated not interested in using wood.  The one I made using that construction method cut the weight in half.  For added strength, I included an additional core rib to increase cross section.  Panel ended up very stiff.  Material sources include:  US Composites, Jamestown Distributors, Noahs Marine.

Since that panel seems to be a chronic issue, as I was developing that part of the project, I thought about adding a brace or simple support that would be central in the panel and basically drop down to the floor. McMaster Carr has nuts welded to a disc and I was thinking of a couple of those with a threaded rod in between to adjust for height thus acting as a support point.  Ended up not needing to do that as the carbon panel is super stiff.