Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about reverse speed

My wife and I are at odds about what speed is safe to engage reverse. When I'm surfing and she is driving, she tells me that when I stop surfing she throws the boat in reverse to let the wave pass and she can turn around to get me with out swamping the boat. I tend to believe this is NOT good for the trans as the prop is turning rather fast then it is forced to rotate the opposite direction in a flash. We have had words about this and I want to ask anyone that knows the best method to putting the boat in reverse.

I like to pause for a second between forward and reverse but the boat coasting forward when you engage reverse shouldn't put any 'load' on anything that it doesn't see under normal circumstances.   IMO.

edit:  I like that trick of stopping the boat and letting the wave pass when heavily loaded.  

Edited by pauley71
  • Like 4

Two thoughts - if she gets a "clunk" noise or feel doing it, then shifting too quick IMO.  Could also do a visual check - get up to surf speed & you watch the shaft if possible to see how long it takes to stop spinning and use that as a guide to time when it's ok to shift.   Hopefully you get a happy wife and a happy boat.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

when rider drops this is what I do: neutral -- spin wheel in intended direction of travel (to side that had surfgate out) -- let roller pass -- idle to rider.  

Not sure why reverse is necessary in this scenario at all?

This works perfect on lakes. On a river or the delta, especially in the larger boats reverse is not usually an option.

• Like 2

All depends.....I've noticed since the suck gate invention that if I stop too quick water floods the rear.  I've had to change my driving habits from immediately killing it and letting the wave pass to letting off it easy and letting the wave pass so the wave doesn't flood the back.  Your best bet is to do like the rest of us and appreciate the fact your better half is pulling you.  If she kills it and water rushes over the back that's one thing, but if not then let her do her thing.   My wife usually has to contend with our 2 year old in her lap when she is pulling me so I just follow the boat and don't complain.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, NCVride said:

All depends.....I've noticed since the suck gate invention that if I stop too quick water floods the rear.  I've had to change my driving habits from immediately killing it and letting the wave pass to letting off it easy and letting the wave pass so the wave doesn't flood the back.  Your best bet is to do like the rest of us and appreciate the fact your better half is pulling you.  If she kills it and water rushes over the back that's one thing, but if not then let her do her thing.   My wife usually has to contend with our 2 year old in her lap when she is pulling me so I just follow the boat and don't complain.  

have you tried spinning the wheel to the suck gate side as you cut the throttle?  Basically take the roller sideways?

On August 23, 2016 at 5:52 PM, shawndoggy said:

when rider drops this is what I do: neutral -- spin wheel in intended direction of travel (to side that had surfgate out) -- let roller pass -- idle to rider.  

This works 90% of the time but there are occasions when a rider drops in really bad water and to avoid taking water over he bow, I sometimes will go to neutral for a 2 second count or so before going to reverse, and then another 2-3% of the time I will continue forward with power through imminent waves from "others" and then neutral, always turning away from rider (or to the surf gate side) and idle back to the rider after your own waves pass. Different circumstances call for different actions, but most of the time it can be done as you describe.

Edited by BlackBluMalibu
  • Like 3
54 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

have you tried spinning the wheel to the suck gate side as you cut the throttle?  Basically take the roller sideways?

I've tried it every way I can.  Still take the roller over the back of the boat unless I let out of the throttle easy.  I'm sure if I added 500 or so in the front it might help combat it but I haven't had time to try that. Too busy enjoying my beautiful wave. 

3 hours ago, NCVride said:

I've tried it every way I can.  Still take the roller over the back of the boat unless I let out of the throttle easy.  I'm sure if I added 500 or so in the front it might help combat it but I haven't had time to try that. Too busy enjoying my beautiful wave. 

I was just gonna ask if you have bow weight

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

This is exactly what I do, the problem that I'm having is my wife is trying to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Little does she know when I have swamped the boat, its because some one is riding up front that deserves to get wet.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

Start slamming the dishwasher, fridge, clothes washer/dryer doors and see how she likes it.  I sleep on the couch alot.

I try to appeal to her proclivities by comparing the cost of a new damper plate, tranny, or V drive with the trip you could take together or whatever else she likes to do with a similar amount of money.  Get her invested in being nice to machines.

2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

Start slamming the dishwasher, fridge, clothes washer/dryer doors and see how she likes it.  I sleep on the couch alot.

lol  lol  lol

Tell her you learned that using reverse will shorten the life of the trans by half, and not to use it at all unless it's worth a ruined trans.

Seriously, I tell novice drivers not to use reverse at all. Many don't know how to ease it into reverse, most slam it in.