Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rain + gauges

2008 Malibu vlx

I have the boat in the driveway uncovered while doing a couple unrelated repairs and it has rained a few times since its been out there. I noticed last night that the gauges weren't working while I had the boat running, can these boats not get wet inside???

what could be causing the gauges to not work

The safety lanyard would cause the gauges to not work.  I don't think rain is going to cause it.  Unless you somehow popped a fuse for the computer 

Edited by racer808

Ok checked a few things out

everything is working on the perfect pass screen just fine, a few seconds after the engine starts all of the analog gauges flicker a little but go back to nothing and the digital gauges light up but only show lines.

i checked all the fuses in the big black box under the dash and they are all good but I did notice a flashing red light on the side of same black box, not sure if that is normal or not. Any help greatly appreciated.

I need to go to sleep

so I went back out and flipped the lanyard switch a few times and then while key was on I went to engine bay and started unplugging and rep lugging in connectors and just happened to look up and the gauges had started working. Not sure what did it but I'm just happy to see something positive.

Will see how it does tmrw after getting a full day to dry out in the garage

2 hours ago, tvano said:

my bad; should have thought of it earlier.

there is a large cylindrical plug that carries most engine signals to the helm.

it may be the culprit. 

Is this plug called the canon plug?? 

I had read about it on another post someone started here about their gauges not working. I actually wasn't able to find it but I will look again tonight. 

This morning on my way out I cranked the boat for about 30 secs and the gauges are back to not working. I didn't post earlier but my fuel, water temp, & power wedge gauge all have pretty bad condensation in them due to the rain the boat sat out in. May have to replace those.

No, they were working last night, no need to replace.  I've had mine condensate a few times.  They are not air or water tight, the clear outer plastic piece is held on with three clips, its just a dust cap really.  Last time I had my gauges out I smeared a layer of silicone around the edges to seal them up and because some of the clips were broke.

28 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

No, they were working last night, no need to replace.  I've had mine condensate a few times.  They are not air or water tight, the clear outer plastic piece is held on with three clips, its just a dust cap really.  Last time I had my gauges out I smeared a layer of silicone around the edges to seal them up and because some of the clips were broke.

Well technically the water temp gauge hasn't worked since I bought the boat a couple months ago, and the fuel gauge actually wasn't working last night! Guess I should have specified better

5 hours ago, Twitch02x said:

Is this plug called the canon plug?? 

I had read about it on another post someone started here about their gauges not working. I actually wasn't able to find it but I will look again tonight. 

yes, canon plug