Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat advice for a newbie: 21' vs 23' LSV

jdsc

We finally sold our old SeaRay inboard/outboard and we are ready to take the next step. We have been looking at Malibu's for a few years and like the layout of the Escape/Sunscape LSV series. Since we ski (recreationally now), 75% of the time, and wake 25%, this looks like the way to go.

Because of budget constraints, we are looking at 2000-2004 models. We like the space of the 23' however I am concerned about the skiability of the larger boat. In talking with some of the local Malibu sales folks, they say the wake behind the 23' is pretty nice. But, can it compare to the smaller 21'? My guess is no, but I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for us so we can make the right decision.

Thanks.

I have an '03 23LSV WakeSetter and slalom it with no problem.

It has the Diamond hull. The 21' don't really ski any better.

There is a list of what years have what hulls on this site somewhere.

If you wanna ski you might keep with the Diamond hull for a flatter wake at 28 plus mph.

But I can easily set mine up to make one of the biggest wakes around too.

The pre 04 LSV will have a better ski wake then the 04 and newer. The VLX will have about the same ski wake as the 04 and on LSV since they are on the same hull. Check out this hull chart and it will tell you all you need to know :) Also, Welcome.gif

EDIT: Just noticed you weren't talking about the 21 and 23ft wakesetters...so ignnore some of what I wrote Crazy.gif

Edited by jetskipro550
We finally sold our old SeaRay inboard/outboard and we are ready to take the next step. We have been looking at Malibu's for a few years and like the layout of the Escape/Sunscape LSV series. Since we ski (recreationally now), 75% of the time, and wake 25%, this looks like the way to go.

Because of budget constraints, we are looking at 2000-2004 models. We like the space of the 23' however I am concerned about the skiability of the larger boat. In talking with some of the local Malibu sales folks, they say the wake behind the 23' is pretty nice. But, can it compare to the smaller 21'? My guess is no, but I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for us so we can make the right decision.

Thanks.

My wife and I had the same situation right down to owning a Sea Ray. We both were big skiers at that time (1998) and stepped up to a 21' sunsetter v-drive which had a sv23 diamond hull, GREAT SKIING! We found the down side to the sv23 was the rough ride in tough water! We than purchased a Sunscape 23' with a v25 diamond hull (2001). The v25 hull along with the bigger boat threw a much bigger wake, but still smaller and softer than an I/O and the ride was much smoother. We now own a (2005) Sunscape 21 with v25 diamond hull. Greatest boat I've ever owned!!!!!!! Good rec. ski boat (wake is still bigger than sv23). Takes big water even better than my 23' with same hull. Fill the ballast tanks, drop the wedge and my wake is just as big as my buddies wakesetter vlx. You can't go wrong with any BU 2000-2004 with sv23 diamond for skiing. If you boat on a large lake, be aware of the rougher ride in tough water! Hope this helps! Edited by malibumw

Thanks.

My wife and I had the same situation right down to owning a Sea Ray. We both were big skiers at that time (1998) and stepped up to a 21' sunsetter v-drive which had a sv23 diamond hull, GREAT SKIING! We found the down side to the sv23 was the rough ride in tough water! We than purchased a Sunscape 23' with a v25 diamond hull (2001). The v25 hull along with the bigger boat threw a much bigger wake, but still smaller and softer than an I/O and the ride was much smoother. We now own a (2005) Sunscape 21 with v25 diamond hull. Greatest boat I've ever owned!!!!!!! Good rec. ski boat (wake is still bigger than sv23). Takes big water even better than my 23' with same hull. Fill the ballast tanks, drop the wedge and my wake is just as big as my buddies wakesetter vlx. You can't go wrong with any BU 2000-2004 with sv23 diamond for skiing. If you boat on a large lake, be aware of the rougher ride in tough water! Hope this helps!

I had a '01 SS VLX and it did ride a little rough in big chop, but not that much different than my '06 VLX. One big difference I have noted is that I only had the SS VLX, on the SV23D hull, take a bow dip a couple of times in the years that I had it. The '06 VLX on the other hand, on the V25 wake hull, has taken many more dips and way more water in the short time that I have had it.

In 2000, the Sunsetter VLX was on the same hull as the Wakesetter VLX (non diamond). We never thought it put out a great ski wake. I noticed that 2000 was in your model year range so this is something to be aware of.

We now own a (2005) Sunscape 21 with v25 diamond hull. Greatest boat I've ever owned!!!!!!! Good rec. ski boat (wake is still bigger than sv23). Takes big water even better than my 23' with same hull. Fill the ballast tanks, drop the wedge and my wake is just as big as my buddies wakesetter vlx.

:unsure:

No way is the 23 going to slalom like the 21. Just not going to happen. If you're looking at pre-'04 21s, you'll have an even better slalom wake... if that's a requirement.

Actually the 23 lsv (diamond hull) has a very acceptable slalom wake starting at about 32mph. It starts degrading with a full tank of gas and more than 3 people though. The difference between a 21 and 23 diamond hull v drive wake is barely noticable if at all. I have skied both boats and couldn't tell the difference. If you want the space in the boat get the 23. If you have storage issues with length, the 23' takes up a lot more space length wise when its on the trailer.

When I purchased the boat it ended up being about the extra space in the boat. Both boats were side by side in the dealership and I about drove Chris nuts climbing back and forth between the two. After doing that for about 2 weeks I had to have the 23.

Thanks.

My wife and I had the same situation right down to owning a Sea Ray. We both were big skiers at that time (1998) and stepped up to a 21' sunsetter v-drive which had a sv23 diamond hull, GREAT SKIING! We found the down side to the sv23 was the rough ride in tough water! We than purchased a Sunscape 23' with a v25 diamond hull (2001). The v25 hull along with the bigger boat threw a much bigger wake, but still smaller and softer than an I/O and the ride was much smoother. We now own a (2005) Sunscape 21 with v25 diamond hull. Greatest boat I've ever owned!!!!!!! Good rec. ski boat (wake is still bigger than sv23). Takes big water even better than my 23' with same hull. Fill the ballast tanks, drop the wedge and my wake is just as big as my buddies wakesetter vlx. You can't go wrong with any BU 2000-2004 with sv23 diamond for skiing. If you boat on a large lake, be aware of the rougher ride in tough water! Hope this helps!

I had a '01 SS VLX and it did ride a little rough in big chop, but not that much different than my '06 VLX. One big difference I have noted is that I only had the SS VLX, on the SV23D hull, take a bow dip a couple of times in the years that I had it. The '06 VLX on the other hand, on the V25 wake hull, has taken many more dips and way more water in the short time that I have had it.

Agreed.

To everyone that responded to my question, thanks. Your input was a big help. I know the best way to decide would be to ski behind both boats, but the input and experience of those of you who have already done it was a great help.

Thanks again,

Jim

We now own a (2005) Sunscape 21 with v25 diamond hull. Greatest boat I've ever owned!!!!!!! Good rec. ski boat (wake is still bigger than sv23). Takes big water even better than my 23' with same hull. Fill the ballast tanks, drop the wedge and my wake is just as big as my buddies wakesetter vlx.

:unsure:

d*** Innocent.gif

Do you see anything here?

8ee464ec.jpg

Welcome to direct-drive...

Biggrin.gif

Yeah, I see bad form crossing the wake....duh duh da....sorry...couldn't resist Tongue.gifBiggrin.gif

we just got the 04 21LSV i wakeboard and wakesurf while my dad and brother ski

i cant say anything for the 23 but we put balast in ours, with that and the wedge it puts out a really steap wake, not quite like the 210 natique but the same stile Clap.gif , while my dad says it is the best wake he has ever seen behind a v-drive

he is 46 so he has seen his fair share of wakes :lol:

and on the fourth we had 10 people on the boat before it got crouded

Edited by relentless

Thanks.

We are in the market for a new larger boat and have tested MB, Mastercraft and today a 23lsv wakesetter and was shocked at how nice this boat as to ski behind, not 1 of the other makers in a 23 came close to the very small wake to ski, at 33mph I could cut and burn with not having to back off at the wake.

The 23LVS just moved to the top of my list.