Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

can i drill thru the transom?

Chia

i need more holes in the boat for pumps. There is very little room to drill thru the bottom anymore and was thinking of drilling thru the transom (under the swim platform but the hole would still be at or near the bottom of the bin on the vlx.

is this a good idea or a bad idea?

i know i would not be able to fill will under way but that would not be a problem for me.

thanks

Structurally that should be ok but you may have trouble getting low enough with the floor limiting placement.  I would avoid the center as you might suck exhaust gas there.

8 hours ago, Chia said:

i need more holes in the boat for pumps. There is very little room to drill thru the bottom anymore and was thinking of drilling thru the transom (under the swim platform but the hole would still be at or near the bottom of the bin on the vlx.

is this a good idea or a bad idea?

i know i would not be able to fill will under way but that would not be a problem for me.

thanks

Why not just T an existing ballast through hull? I do it all the time with absolutely zero issue. I do it with both aerator and impeller pumps. However, I dont suggest mixing as in aerator off one side and impeller off the other. 

8 hours ago, MLA said:

Why not just T an existing ballast through hull? I do it all the time with absolutely zero issue. I do it with both aerator and impeller pumps. However, I dont suggest mixing as in aerator off one side and impeller off the other. 

If I use a "t" I would have to use valves to isolate the pump I want to use, otherwise the pump will draw from the path of least resistance, wouldn't it?

2 hours ago, Chia said:

If I use a "t" I would have to use valves to isolate the pump I want to use, otherwise the pump will draw from the path of least resistance, wouldn't it?

Nope, no need for any more than the one emergency shutoff ball valve. The path of least resistance is the water pressure created by hull displacement.   Just dont pair an impeller pump up with an aerator. We have seen issues with the impeller pump drawing from the aerator side if the aerator is off. However, no issues with two aerators or two impellers sharing a single thru-hull.  

Thanks, that is exactly what I will do

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Nope, no need for any more than the one emergency shutoff ball valve. The path of least resistance is the water pressure created by hull displacement.   Just dont pair an impeller pump up with an aerator. We have seen issues with the impeller pump drawing from the aerator side if the aerator is off. However, no issues with two aerators or two impellers sharing a single thru-hull.  

Thanks, that is exactly what I will do