Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

350 enough power?

Getting close to pulling the trigger on an A22. My newest worry is that the 350 is underpowered. 

We have 4-6 adults plus kids. Want to surf. 500' above sealevel. Planning to switch to the 1235 prop (that open for debate too). Thanks!

Stay away from the 1235. You will be disappointed. Like mentioned above. 2249 or even the 2247 is the sweet spot for that motor and transmission combo. I'm running the 2247 and with 3k in ballast I have zero problem surfing with 10 in my 15 T22

15 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Getting close to pulling the trigger on an A22. My newest worry is that the 350 is underpowered. 

We have 4-6 adults plus kids. Want to surf. 500' above sealevel. Planning to switch to the 1235 prop (that open for debate too). Thanks!

If your going to max your pnp(9-1100's rear, bow locker bag, and bow cushion bags) and you want that load(5.5 to 7.5 adult equivalents), go ahead and get the bigger wheel, pick up a used spare 1235, for other things like cruising and being on board spare, skiing, winter crew size),probably cheaper to make decision at purchase and pick up used spare 1235, you will not come to surf correct selected speed with that big load.  I'm jealous, if I had your crew I would have already purchased the 2419(2014) and had a redonkulous wave already.

its not the 330 hp 5.7 liter, it's the prop , I love my fuel consumption.  

A guy on site said even his cruising speed was compromised down to 31 mph with the 1235 and a 22 foot axis.  Mine 38-41 in an A20 with the 1235 at 5000+ rpm at sea level.   I don't know what cruising limitations there are with the bigger wheels 

wish I had the exhaust mods, boy is that motor loud!

if you can get z5 Bimini cheap, get it, you said you don't take down tower and you live close so drive not problem they say even if 65 mph.  Much much better shade, axis boat cover for storage great unless your leaving it in the rain, then get a better one 

Edited by granddaddy55

Great. Thanks. Turns out it has a 2249 on it. So that's where I should leave it? Probably 50/50 boarding and surfing. No need to go fast. Just want to go easy on the engine and not put too much torque on it. 

Gonna save up for the fresh air exhaust and Z5 eventually. Demo is Thursday. 

Edited by Claire1000
  • Like 1
On August 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Claire1000 said:

Great. Thanks. Turns out it has a 2249 on it. So that's where I should leave it? Probably 50/50 boarding and surfing. No need to go fast. Just want to go easy on the engine and not put too much torque on it. 

Gonna save up for the fresh air exhaust and Z5 eventually. Demo is Thursday. 

Can't resist , you said you launch boat and alone , you did the learning on new deal , this seems to be your deal as much as my wife loves it but she would never want to bother with any of this ever, just help me put up tower , drive and drive off and drive on , ride, rest on me including this, negotiating , cleaning maintenance ,  and she owned 2 fish and ski 's before meeting me, why you more than him, just curious, no judgement. For me it was my wife's current earning power and consent that made my dream come true to allow us to go from fish and ski to this and you already owned a VLX . I've never seen this before

Hubby works very long hours so he doesn't always come or shows up late sometimes. We have a small baby, so when he does come, I often need a break from the baby so I do the boat while he takes care of her. That my choice. I like messing with boats. He's super helpful whenever I need it or will do it all if I want. I've got the greatest husband ever. So awesome he is in the middle of a huge project so I took care of picking this boat out and getting it. He never saw it before we bought it cause he trusts me with boat stuff. Those are husband points. Had our first trip out today. What an amazing boat. 

• Like 4
Just now, Claire1000 said:

Hubby works very long hours so he doesn't always come or shows up late sometimes. We have a small baby, so when he does come, I often need a break from the baby so I do the boat while he takes care of her. That my choice. I like messing with boats. He's super helpful whenever I need it or will do it all if I want. I've got the greatest husband ever. So awesome he is in the middle of a huge project so I took care of picking this boat out and getting it. He never saw it before we bought it cause he trusts me with boat stuff. Those are husband points. Had our first trip out today. What an amazing boat. 

So, I'm happily married, but their will be LOTS of guys out there that will want to know if you have any available sisters, so felt it was my obligation to ask!

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
12 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

He may not know it but those are major wife points too and like @Rednucleus said a pipe dream to some of us!! Congrats on the purchase but we need pics!!

Disclaimer: I am also happily married and my wife does a great job with the boat :)

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2
On August 28, 2016 at 5:43 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

He may not know it but those are major wife points too and like @Rednucleus said a pipe dream to some of us!! Congrats on the purchase but we need pics!!

Disclaimer: I am also happily married and my wife does a great job with the boat :)

Can't wait to see the happy surfing machine and it's riders in tow

• 2 weeks later...

Im assuming you have the PCM engine with the 1.72 trans ratio?  If so, then no real surprise the Acme 2249 would work well.  For us with the Indmar engine and 1.5 trans ratio that's the equivalent of running the 2315.