Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 inch prop

Capdoogie

Rumor has it centurion and others are going to the 17 inch prop.  Better pulling for wakesurfing etc..  This will come out mid next yr I hear.   But requires new trani and shaft angle.  Anyone hear if Malibu is following the trend?

10 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I believe almost all of the Malibu get 17" this year.  I know both MXZ got it.  I think the LSV's did to.  Along with 2:1 tranny

Stop the press!!

On good authority?

My dealer built a 23 and it didn't reflect that?

Edited by teamerickson
Just now, teamerickson said:

Stop the press!!

On good authority?

My dealer built a 23 and it didn't reflect that?

You mean you didn't read about it in the Malibu press release talking about all the sweet new features for '17?

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I believe almost all of the Malibu get 17" this year.  I know both MXZ got it.  I think the LSV's did to.  Along with 2:1 tranny

Maybe I missed something? Is this serious?

Yes 17s all have 17s! Correct steeper shaft angle and strut. U could easily swing a 20-21" on the 2017 25lsv I saw as there was several inches clearance. 

Also why I think the 2016s should be swinging 16x16s or 15 x17s

Edited by The Hulk
11 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Yes 17s all have 17s! Correct steeper shaft angle and strut. U could easily swing a 20-21" on the 2017 25lsv I saw as there was several inches clearance. 

Even the VTX...?  

40 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Let's hope they keep the draft down on these things.  

Some of us that live on shallower lakes appreciate the ability to keep a lower draft.  

That 36 inch draft on the Centurion is a deal breaker for me (not that I really considered one anyways).  Not sure if "joe blow" looks that much into it but he should.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, bamaboy said:

Some of us that live on shallower lakes appreciate the ability to keep a lower draft.  

That 36 inch draft on the Centurion is a deal breaker for me (not that I really considered one anyways).  Not sure if "joe blow" looks that much into it but he should.  

Certainly has to be at least 4in+" over a 2016. another reason I chose my 2016 instead of the 2017 and thank the lord I did. Even now I have to park on the edge of the sandbar and may have to extend out my dock. I just measured my waistline that I note as a min depth for parking in CALM water days and just measured that as 36in. That gives me about a fists depth let's say 4-5in clearance to bottom incase a small wave comes in. And note that's only 1 or 2 ppl in the boat. When I had 10ppl it was lower yet.. what I don't like is that is pretty deep getting out in the water for kiddos and wife compared to the 2013 23lsv I had. If there is larger waves out I tend to stay around d 40" depth. And trust me when the boat goes up and down and u put your foot under there to measure there is only 1-2" from hitting which is not comforting if a bigger wave rolls in.. on a 2017 man your talking 40in safe sandbar depths on a calm day and light load even more if u get waves or have anybody out. She sure is deep compared to what I had... not to mention it seems when level the front fins might be even lower but I'll check with goggles this week and let u know. At one of the family's sandbar's we go to I have to park on the edge of the SandBar because it's a bit shallower and in a part of the lake that people come surfing or skiing or tubing by the area and throw big rollers so I have to be at least 4ft currently to not touch bottom. I can't imagine having to go deeper.. especially when our channels are down and sometimes only 3ft or less it can be close! I'm so thankful we got a lot of rain and our lake went up a couple inches over the past week such a huge help..

34 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I think  people would be extremely surprised how a little extra draft can make a huge difference especially when considering those draft specs seem to be on an empty tank and who knows if they include a driver or not.. not to mention u need more than that especially in reverse as its pulling boat down in reverse 

I guess that's one advantage bamster has on us

For those with an old 1.48 : 1 tranny and running a larger engine, you can run a bigger prop with great results lowering RPMs if you have the hull clearance 

I'm nearly 2yrs into 16"+ props... Currently a 16x15.5... Absolutely love it.

this is for someone who primarily wakesurfs, any weights, 3-5000lbs is ok, no issues, effortless performance

someone who DOESNT need to bring crazy heavy 3-5000lbs up to 20-24mph, you will pay for the lower RPMs here <---- with a slower launch

else I wakesurf 5000lbs+ at 2900rpms on a 550hp 1.48: 1 tranny.  The larger props are super efficient up to the point you overload for a 0-20+ launch.

4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

My friend got a 2017 23 LSV and he got the 2277 prop (15x15.25). He must have the 2:1 tranny because his boat was not running as high of RPM's as my 2016 does with the 2277 prop.  

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

I kinda doubt 23 LSV gets it, but I have no knowledge on the subject... call it a hunch. 

I don't thing it does..my friend just got a 2017 23lsv and it came with a 15 inch prop (2277).

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bbattiste247 said:

My friend got a 2017 23 LSV and he got the 2277 prop (15x15.25). He must have the 2:1 tranny because his boat was not running as high of RPM's as my 2016 does with the 2277 prop.  

I may be wrong here, but his should be running a HIGHER RPM than your 2016. All thing being equal. 

I'm glad I got a 15 inch prop. It costs a lot less to replace if I hit something although I don't do it much....I hope.

1 minute ago, mrnate450r said:

I may be wrong here, but his should be running a HIGHER RPM than your 2016. All thing being equal. 

I'll pay more attention next time, but he seldom went over 4000 rpms when cruising at speeds in the 30's and we were surfing at or just under 11 mphs right around 3000 rpms. On my 2016, I run the 2401 prop (15x17.75) with the 1:76 tranny and the 2017 with a 15x15.25 prop rpms were very similiar to my boat. 

43 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

For those with an old 1.48 : 1 tranny and running a larger engine, you can run a bigger prop with great results lowering RPMs if you have the hull clearance 

I'm nearly 2yrs into 16"+ props... Currently a 16x15.5... Absolutely love it.

this is for someone who primarily wakesurfs, any weights, 3-5000lbs is ok, no issues, effortless performance

someone who DOESNT need to bring crazy heavy 3-5000lbs up to 20-24mph, you will pay for the lower RPMs here <---- with a slower launch

else I wakesurf 5000lbs+ at 2900rpms on a 550hp 1.48: 1 tranny.  The larger props are super efficient up to the point you overload for a 0-20+ launch.

Amen I had the 1.48 and the 555hp in my 2013 23 lsv with a 14.5x16 . 3000 rpms was 32-34s for cruise and surf was 2900-3100 "heavy" depending on wedge and I thought it could easily handled a 17+ pitch to keep it always under 3k.. wish I had that engine again!

Edited by The Hulk