Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help - Time for a new SUV

jwl019

Well, I'll throw mine in the Ring even though you are ruling out Dodge. Current model Durango with the Hemi pulls our VLX just fine, although it is smaller than yours.  Fit and finish are ok.  Compared to our '05 tahoe, the amount of power and torque available are considerably better.  I will say that the thing I don't like is the unibody.  You can feel every creak and noise coming off the trailer.  Other than that, have pulled 2 hours + with it and no problems.  Everything tracks straight, and it pulls easily.  Plus, we have gotten up to 24mpg with it on longer trips(not pulling the boat of course.)  Another plus is that it is really quick for a 5000 lb vehicle.  

I know you said your local dodge guy isn't any good, but if there is a seperate Jeep dealer, they could service it. Pretty much just a grand cherokee with 3 row seating.  Mine as configured(relatively loaded) books on Edmunds for $34k, so there are models that could be in your range.

Edited by SoDakSooner

Given your requirements you can't go wrong with a Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali for a family hauler, good ride, can tow the boat, etc...

Armada/Sequia are great vehicles but not much (if any) larger than your current ride. If towing the boat is seldom and you have another dedicated tow rig you can skip the Denali and 6.2 engine and save money.

2 hours ago, SoDakSooner said:

Well, I'll throw mine in the Ring even though you are ruling out Dodge. Current model Durango with the Hemi pulls our VLX just fine, although it is smaller than yours.  Fit and finish are ok.  Compared to our '05 tahoe, the amount of power and torque available are considerably better.  I will say that the thing I don't like is the unibody.  You can feel every creak and noise coming off the trailer.  Other than that, have pulled 2 hours + with it and no problems.  Everything tracks straight, and it pulls easily.  Plus, we have gotten up to 24mpg with it on longer trips(not pulling the boat of course.)  Another plus is that it is really quick for a 5000 lb vehicle.  

I know you said your local dodge guy isn't any good, but if there is a seperate Jeep dealer, they could service it. Pretty much just a grand cherokee with 3 row seating.  Mine as configured(relatively loaded) books on Edmunds for $34k, so there are models that could be in your range.

My local dealer sells both at side by side lots with a joint dealership office, so not an option unless for sure.  I actually am not sure how he is still in business as there have been several complaints about them not actually paying off trade-ins.  I tried one time long ago before all the complaints came forward and caught in the closing paperwork my trade pay off was not included.  Almost had to take my shirt off and throw on some Sperry's to get my keys back to my truck to leave.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

Someone mentioned the Armada, but I would look at the Infiniti QX56/QX80.  The motor is a little antinquated vs the GMs, but the interior is very nice.

I have a 2011 Yukon Denali XL (which would be pushing your price range).  The 6.2 is a significant upgrade over the 5.3, and mileage is similar.  It is a good vehicle for most things, but I HATE the way it tows my LSV - way too unstable.  I have spoken with others who do not have the same complaint, and I see a ton of them towing boats as big or bigger than mine, so maybe my problem is tires.  Just a long way of saying if you think you might be towing more regularly with it, don't just do a test drive, do a test tow as well. 

I do like the Infiniti, but isn't it the same as an Armada basically only a different exterior?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

My local dealer sells both at side by side lots with a joint dealership office, so not an option unless for sure.  I actually am not sure how he is still in business as there have been several complaints about them not actually paying off trade-ins.  I tried one time long ago before all the complaints came forward and caught in the closing paperwork my trade pay off was not included.  Almost had to take my shirt off and throw on some Sperry's to get my keys back to my truck to leave.

I do like the Infiniti, but isn't it the same as an Armada basically only a different exterior?

The QX's have a nicer interior than an Armada does. The only thing that's exactly the same is the drivetrain.

Depends what year.  I think the body on the QX56 switched around 2011 to a North American pimped out version of the Nissan Patrol, while the Armada carried over with the OG North America only body style from 2004.  They changed the name to QX80 in 14 or so.  The new QXs are much nicer in and out (have only sat in one tho, haven't driven) than the first gen armada clone.

QXs all (AFAIK) have the towing package (tranny cooler and lower final drive ratio) but it was an option on the armadas.  Confusingly, the presence of a trailer hitch is not dispositive of whether the rig has the tow package, so there are a lot of armadas out there with hitches and 6000 lb max towing capacities.

This model year (2017) Armada will finally be upgraded to same platform/body style that the QX got back in 2011.

+1   Given your requirements you can't go wrong with a Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali for a family hauler, good ride, can tow the boat, etc...

Bought my 3rd Yukon XL Denali this year.  Expensive (+ $70k) but it is really nice hauler and ride.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater