Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

coil problem

I have a 2000 Malibu sportster and have been having problems with the boat running. A friend told me to replace the coil and that worked like a champ all summer until yesterday. Boat ran all day and then sputtered a few times and eventually stop running altogether. I believe the coil is bad again but what would cause the coil to go bad within a year and a half?

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Do you know if your coil is internally ballasted or if it needs a ballast resistor or resistance wire? Running a coil off a full 12 volts all the time will burn them out pretty fast.

How would one know?

@keny:  coils are susceptible to heat, so if in a hot area that could contribute to early failure.  Normal engine underhood temperatures are not a problem so if you suspect another coil, you will need to get the actual operating temperature to confirm.  Should be a very basic coil, nothing really special.  I would troubleshoot other options also, check all your grounds and other connections for corrosion or loose connectors.