Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Suburban

EchelonMike

Looks sharp, congrats. Would look better with the boat in the pic!

My first ride was an 87 suburban, in 2003 it got traded for a septic system, 360k miles at 8 miles a gallon. Never had an issue, and that thing was tested repeatedly. Now 5 Gm trucks later still no complaints.  Hopefully it tows well for you, as i'm due for 2 new trucks next year, so do keep us all updated.

• Like 1

Looks great! My dad has had a suburban since the 80's. Gets a new one every 5 years and currently has a 15 LTZ I believe, it sure is a nice truck but has tiny mirrors!

• Like 1

Good luck, looks great, lets us know how towing is with that 5.3. I was always worried towing with that motor, and the 6.2s were harder to find so I went with dodge. Curious how it stacks up

28 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

With towing concerns, why didn't you go with the 6.2L?

I don't really have any 5.3L towing concerns.  We had a 2007 Suburban before the ecoboost Explorer so I know what to expect, and this newer one has a few extra cogs in the tranny vs my old one. I am only towing about 5K lbs with the VLX so the 6.2L is overkill for the workload...although I like it's rumble better.  Ha

The ecoboost just doesn't work as hard to tow, I was a big fan of that engine.

Thanks for all the nice comments - i'll get a pic of it with the VLX later if the rain holds off!

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Looks great! My dad has had a suburban since the 80's. Gets a new one every 5 years and currently has a 15 LTZ I believe, it sure is a nice truck but has tiny mirrors!

Totally agree - really small mirrors.  The explorer did too but I'd take bigger mirrors if it was an option.

Nice truck. You're family will likely enjoy travelling  the Burban more. I'd imagine you'll see better fuel economy out of the 5.3 but it likely won't perform near where the EB did for towing. And that's coming from a guy who owns all GM. I'm curious to hear your feedback though once you hook the VLX to the back.

Congrats!  2016's are very nice.  I picked up a Yukon XL Denali to tow my 23 LSV.    This is my 3rd Yukon XL Denali.  6.2L with the 8 speed tranny was needed for the heavier 23 LSV.  The overall build and quality have been excellent.   Have had no initial quality issues.  Now have ~2000 miles.  GM is putting these together right in Texas.  Sorry no pics.   

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 1

Looks nice.  We rented one that looked just like that one last year and drove it from SLC to Jackson Hole and back down to SLC on our ski trip.  It drove like a dream and got pretty good gas mileage.  It took some getting used to all of the alarms and indicators.  The seat rumbling as an alert was and interesting experience.

GM made huge improvements with the current body style full size SUVs.  Makes my 11 Yukon XL look ancient by comparison.

I thought all the new SUVs came with the 8 speed though?

19 hours ago, RyanB said:

GM made huge improvements with the current body style full size SUVs.  Makes my 11 Yukon XL look ancient by comparison.

I thought all the new SUVs came with the 8 speed though?

Only the trucks get the 8spd for some reason.  The Tahoe and Burban soldier on with the 6 spd.

On 8/23/2016 at 4:59 PM, IXFE said:

@EchelonMike... Congrats on the nice looking rig!  Does it have auto leveling air suspension?  What's the rear axle ratio??

I didn't get the load level suspension.  The tow package has a 3.42 axle I believe (stock is a 3.15).

6 minutes ago, EchelonMike said:

The 05 VLX has a dry weight of 3600 lbs.  Trailer is 1100, so call it 4700+ fuel and gear.

The 05 VLX has an advertised dry weight of 3600 lbs ;)  You might want to weigh it some time.  My VTX is near 5500lbs on the trailer with fuel and the junk that is normally in it.

Check out the post from the guy with the 2006 vlx - 6100lbs

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

I bought a 2015 Yukon last year.  We waited for the 15' model for the HP and TQ increase.  355HP and 380TQ.  So it's pretty close to the Expedition with the Ecoboost.  I couldn't get my wife to even test drive an Expedition because she did not like the styling.  My research also turned up the Yukon had better reliability ratings.  It tows our 07 VLX great! 

Edited by 98buphon
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The 05 VLX has an advertised dry weight of 3600 lbs ;)  You might want to weigh it some time.  My VTX is near 5500lbs on the trailer with fuel and the junk that is normally in it.

I'll have to try and find a scale because now you have me curious!  :-)

6 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Only the trucks get the 8spd for some reason.  The Tahoe and Burban soldier on with the 6 spd.

I didn't get the load level suspension.  The tow package has a 3.42 axle I believe (stock is a 3.15).

Just looked it up.  Looks like you get the 8 speed in the Yukon Denali.

I am surprised they don't put one behind the 5.3.  I think that would further improve its MPG.  Seems like that would be important for the CAFE numbers.

Either way, nice ride.

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

I am surprised they don't put one behind the 5.3.  I think that would further improve its MPG.  Seems like that would be important for the CAFE numbers.

Either way, nice ride.

Yeah we have the 8 speed in our '15 Denali. It's pretty sweet. Where I notice it most is towing up grades. Look at this shot I took last month as we crested the Siskiyou Pass (4000' elevation and the highest pass on the I-5 corridor). We were pulling the LSV down to Shasta so we had a bunch of junk with us.  Notice the trans temp (upper right gauge).... Only 200 degrees!  Our old Denali with the 6-speed would hit 225, and our old Suburban with the 4-speed would hit 235. 

1BEFF372-64FA-48C7-8930-13DF6FE0B20B_zps

• Like 2
On 8/26/2016 at 11:48 PM, RyanB said:

Either way, nice ride.

The 8 spd would be great, and the upcoming 10 spd will be even better. Ford and GM actually jointly developed the upcoming 10 spd.  I think all of the big SUV and trucks on both GM and Ford side will have the new 10 spd in the next few years.

The 5.3L seems to have been significantly worked over starting in 2015.  The variable cam timing seems to give it a lot more capabilities of running in 4 cylinder mode than my old 2007 version.  I took my daughter up to Miami U with a whole truckload of stuff.  Only 40 or so miles from my house to Miami, but impressive economy:

333321.jpg.3f7971d064dadca5e032b15e8e668

• Like 1