Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Break In

Red17A24

So my A24 is scheduled to be delivered Monday.   My dealer says he needs a day at the shop and then he will put the first 2 hours on the boat for the break in.   I've read different reviews on how to break in the motor.    What is everyone's opinion after the dealer puts the first 2 hours on it. I was hoping to let the kids wakesurf and wakeboard pretty quick.     Some say nothing for the first 10 hours.   Thanks. 

Run it like you stole it or treat it like a newborn, it is going to outlast your ownership of it.

I was told by a couple people I trust in that business to use a break in additive that has zinc and phosphorous I believe. That helps the process. But as far as take it easy or just run it, too many differing opinions.

42 minutes ago, Red17A24 said:

So my A24 is scheduled to be delivered Monday.   My dealer says he needs a day at the shop and then he will put the first 2 hours on the boat for the break in.   I've read different reviews on how to break in the motor.    What is everyone's opinion after the dealer puts the first 2 hours on it. I was hoping to let the kids wakesurf and wakeboard pretty quick.     Some say nothing for the first 10 hours.   Thanks. 

The best advice I have heard is to use it normally but be sure to vary RPMS.  Don't run the same RPMs for extended periods of time.  

Falko, doesn't the break in oil contain these additives?

Why not start by looking at the procedure in the engine manual? :).   I know some don't buy into that but I followed mine.  Hate to be denied a warranty issue due to improper break in.  

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

The best advice I have heard is to use it normally but be sure to vary RPMS.  Don't run the same RPMs for extended periods of time.  

Yep... I have to agree and the dealer told me the same... Vary the rpm every minute....

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

How did you determine that that advice was the best?  I mean it's "some" advice, but why "best"?

Even the various engine manufactures cant agree what's the best way to break it in so don't expect to get a consensus here.  Warm it up and run it at various rpms for a few hours is my advice.  You probably want to use that time to get use to the boat anyways.  Check the engine, transmission and v-drive over, change oils and filter looking for unusual odour, color or contaminants.  If you don't see any problems go enjoy it.  If you do see problems enjoy leaving it at your dealer for damn near a month for them to sort it out.

Most cars need little or no break in period. Aren't most boat motors made by car manufactuers? I would concur that just make sure you vary your rpm's. When your buddy wants to stay up and ride for long periods of time, just don't let him. He probably didn't pay for gas anyway. 

2 hours ago, bamaboy said:

It very well could, I don't know what oil they use for break in oil. I'm just regurgitating what I've been told about the subject.  I've also heard the very the rpms thing, changes harmonics and stress vectors and blah blah.

Yeah your buddy prolly didn't pay for gas.  I never ask people to chip in for gas.  Believe it or not it is difficult to fill the boat with friends and family.  Everybody always has something else to do it seems.  One of my son's hasn't been out yet this year.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

How did you determine that that advice was the best?  I mean it's "some" advice, but why "best"?

That advice was given to me personally by the head engineer at Ilmor.  

I am open to other opinions but I would say that's a pretty solid source