Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After market wake surf options

catherine

I have a2013 Axis A 22.  We bought it for wake boarding, however, after 3 knee surgerys , we now only wake surf.   I have tried the Ronix wake shaper, and I liked the wake, however there were some problems with the product so I sent it back, then I purchased the Mission Delta wake shaper , but the wake isnt as good as the Ronix.  Can any one suggest an affordablle option for our wake upgrade project?  

Science and stuff

A lot more weight, any non listed boat needs to be sunk, folks are hesitant to do so

a20 850 rears, 950 mushroom front  , 800 stock, wedge, next year 2 150's on front cushions to bring down nose and to slight list regular wave. 

How big would either wave be with your appropriate load ?

were in New Orleans , you got friends in the flood?

Edited by granddaddy55

I have '12 A22.  I built brackets that mount under my swim platform that I attached a fixed surf gate too.  I cut the gate out of a 24" X 24" sheet of 1/2" HDPE.   It's way bigger than a factory surfgate panel but it comes off when not in use so I figured the bigger the better. 

With only a driver in our boat we weight it with stock tanks full.  750s in the lockers full.  Bow arrow bag full.  325 lbs sack on bow seats full and a 400 lbs sack on surf side full. Wedge up or down based on preference. 

The wave is really good.  We were recently surfing behind a 2016 A22 and T23 and the waves were better but the waves did not "wow" us.  The newer deeper hulls and smaller platforms give the wave a little bit better shape then our wave.  

Ill try to get some pics or videos up sometime. 

Edited by vanamp

granddaddy55  We have factor ballast plus plug and play.  I left New orleans the day before Katrina.  still have family there.

vanamp thanks for the advice.  looking forwrd to the photos.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, catherine said:

granddaddy55  We have factor ballast plus plug and play.  I left New orleans the day before Katrina.  still have family there.

vanamp thanks for the advice.  looking forwrd to the photos.

Boat your size could go 1100 rears , do you have the mushroom 950?

If his 750's are a 50x20x20 sac? That is now an 850 like mine, I think 22ft needs 1100 rears, the 950 mushroom and I'm going next year with 2 150's in nose to lower nose from over weighting my rears and left load those 2 for regular wave to be equal to goofy and lengthening both sides , our goofy wave in video

My shredder wife 5'2+" for reference 

Edited by granddaddy55

1100 rear bags may be too much for that boat and the older platforms.  I have the 750's and the platform knocks down the lip.  I get the double lip until a little further back in the wave. It seems to do better with the extra weight in the cabin area.

The delta should work with a lot of weight.  I made our own gate system with the Harbor freight suction cups for about $35.  Made a huge difference for us and took about 2 hours.  All you need is a skil saw and a drill.  I am so glad Ididn't go the route of boat mounted gates, etc....

We have an older vlx, but I run full 750's in the rear, 500+ in the locker and 2 or 3 skinny teenagers in the front, with 8 or 9 total in the boat.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM, catherine said:

Looks Great!!   where are you all riding?  I didnt know that had good riding water in NOLA

Bonnie Carre spillway, Norco 20-30 minutes with traffic rode the pearl ( as well as the 80's including camping river side) this weekend really nice too but spillway glass is famous , been slalom and foot since 1981, my boats from 85 on , never left

ride friends g23 on the intercoastal canal in belle chase at the tunnel, nice glass there as well, but commercial and residential so not as nice a water quality as the spillway until you get past flood gates and towards crown point and lafitte

"y'all" need to come winter and fall or spring surf, fall the best, were hot and water warm still 

just read your post , I learned in bayou bienvenue, so really point your boat snd trailer 20-50 minutes and be in awesome water most any direction , and I thought u was from nawlins or Metry 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 1 year later...

2012 Axis A22 Vandall. Around 1500 pounds of ballast here. Weight is balanced. Probably around 11 mph. Inland Curl wakeshaper

IMG_20180411_172838_749.jpg

Edited by inlandcurlwakeshapers