Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing a Sunsetter LXI

Badgerski51

I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXI. It has the stepped transom. There are a few aftermarket products to help shape a surf wave and I'd like to buy one. Does anyone have any experience with any of the products available on a hull with the stepped transom? I'd appreciate and feedback, pictures, or videos to help me make a decision. Thanks.

Hey badgerski 

I've got an '00 sslxi. not to be a downer...but I've tried DIY surfgate, NSS, and mission delta. None created a surf-able wake. Many issues. Pm me with a number and I can talk with you about all I've tried.

it could be operator error, but I've given up. 

I got mine surfing!  550 on either side of the motor, ski locker, and 400 on port side on top of 550. Also made my own surf gate, i think i am done with my R&D. i need to actually finalize it and who knows, maybe ill automate it too. i have found you have to weigh <170lbs or is doesnt work.  That is my friend in the picture.  I am 6-2, 215 and really struggle to hold the wave unless there are 6+ people in the boat on top of all the weight. I may need to get a proper board.

IMG_20160710_091812_zpsu3a2wuaz.jpg

0424161551_zpsvzrhcsqd.jpg

0424161550_zpsi4ysltyn.jpg

edit: i have an 800lb back coming for the rear hatch, will likely have to experiment more with weight locations and pumps.

Edited by twitchee2
1 hour ago, twitchee2 said:

I got mine surfing!  550 on either side of the motor, ski locker, and 400 on port side on top of 550. Also made my own surf gate, i think i am done with my R&D. i need to actually finalize it and who knows, maybe ill automate it too. i have found you have to weigh <170lbs or is doesnt work.  That is my friend in the picture.  I am 6-2, 215 and really struggle to hold the wave unless there are 6+ people in the boat on top of all the weight. I may need to get a proper board.

IMG_20160710_091812_zpsu3a2wuaz.jpg

0424161551_zpsvzrhcsqd.jpg

0424161550_zpsi4ysltyn.jpg

edit: i have an 800lb back coming for the rear hatch, will likely have to experiment more with weight locations and pumps.

So it floats 1/2 inch out of the water ?

look for a post from interacsol about ten posts or so from the beginning 

and his video

Edited by Bozboat

I built a ronix wanna be wake shaper and I put Velcro above step and let the shaper hang down over the step.  I built a spacer but it's not necessary so I just let it hang down over the step out.   I love my "ramp stamp" it works great if you put enough ballast in boat.   My buddy has an even older closed bow centurion and his wave is great he just sacks it out until water is almost rushing in and surfs listed.