Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to upgrade my ski

Malibudude

I need some advice on upgrading my ski as the bindings are just about toast plus I've had it almost 7 years. I currently use a HO Burner 67" which is a bit small for me as I'm told I should be on a 70" instead. I've skied in the past on the vengence and liked the feel of it. For those that have skied w/ me know my level but really want a ski that I can use to progress further.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• WakeGirl

• CarveItUp

• NorCaliBu

I need some advice on upgrading my ski as the bindings are just about toast plus I've had it almost 7 years. I currently use a HO Burner 67" which is a bit small for me as I'm told I should be on a 70" instead. I've skied in the past on the vengence and liked the feel of it. For those that have skied w/ me know my level but really want a ski that I can use to progress further. Would the Mach 1 be a good choice?

Actual ski size is attributable to your height & weight. What's your weight? If you have skied on the Burner for 7 years you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the advances in Ski technology.....and the prices! For my money you can't beat a KD CR7 or any of the D3 models. These are high end ski's that will perform as your skill & ability grows.

The Vengeance would also be a great ski if you're more used to the feel of an HO. The KD/D3 feel is a love it or hate it type of thing for most skiers. Try them both!

The Vengeance would also be a great ski if you're more used to the feel of an HO. The KD/D3 feel is a love it or hate it type of thing for most skiers. Try them both!

They no longer sell the vengence unless it's under another name?

Try out Mike's 67 Triumph when you come out for the WOW. It will be much more responsive than the Burner.

As to length. My wife bought me a 69" based on my weight, but when I tried it out, I found it to be very big and awkwardly clunky. I had previously demoed the 67" and loved it, so I traded in the 69 for a 67 and will be using it this next week on the Delta. I may yet give a 67 Nitro a try - the shop didn't have any in right now.

I think you need to upgrade to a Sky Ski LE 38. They are not discontinued, and you'll progress nicely with this ski.

I think you need to upgrade to a Sky Ski LE 38. They are not discontinued, and you'll progress nicely with this ski.

I did try the Sky Ski during WOW and fun it was, it's just not going to replace the rush from slalom. :) I do hope to keep trying it as it was a blast and I did get up even for just a bit.

They really are a lot of fun, but not nearly the workout you get on a slalom. But I wouldn't fool around with one too much or you'll mortgage the house to buy yourself one!

Justin,

You can try my 70" Truth this weekend. I know it will be alot squirrellier, but I learned on an HO Turbo right from the start. Once you get used to a fast ski you can't go back.

Joe

HO nitro, 70" or D3 any variety 70". So you want to 70" to save the people in boat from certain "death by handle shot".

Good luck

You don't think a 70" is too long? How do the D3's handle compared to the HO style?

Justin,

You can try my 70" Truth this weekend. I know it will be alot squirrellier, but I learned on an HO Turbo right from the start. Once you get used to a fast ski you can't go back.

Joe

Sweet I'd love to give it a try even if it dumps my butt all over...lol So we're on dawn patrol right Yahoo.gif

HO nitro, 70" or D3 any variety 70". So you want to 70" to save the people in boat from certain "death by handle shot".

Good luck

You don't think a 70" is too long? How do the D3's handle compared to the HO style?

Justin,

Joe

Sweet I'd love to give it a try even if it dumps my butt all over...lol So we're on dawn patrol right Yahoo.gif

After almost getting decapitated twice and the Norcal clinic, I feel like I'm an authority on your skiing- no a 70" isn't too long.

The D3 will make a more gradual arc and the HO will make a more sudden snap turn. They should feel similar cross the wake.

Oh I forgot about the handle toss...lol Okay I'll look at a larger ski definately. I'm not finding great prices on these skis right now after checking a variety of sites.

Nitro $500 w/ wiley bindings

$728 w/ double animals

Triumph $440 wiley bindings

Both him & slider know how to properly load the ski rope. Been tagged by both of 'em & no the shock tubes make no difference. :lol:

Shock tubes only reduce the chances of the pylon end of the rope recoiling around your neck before coming tight again. The loading on start up is different because it's in a straight line behind the boat- might as well paint a target on the back of the driver seat. I can send the handle way past the fron tof the boat but usually it's off a ball and so it shoots over the boat from the side.

I'm told HO still makes the Vengeance, only under a different name and graffics.

We use a 67" with and Animal SF and RTP. Don't scrimp on the bindings. I just updated this year and what a mistake not going that route from the start. You won't realize the potential of the ski without good bindings.

We've got 3 people using the ski between 165 lbs and 210 lbs and it works for all. We use an 80 strand straightline rope and shock tube. Everyone pulls pretty hard and we haven't had problems with the handle coming into the boat.

I'd say it's a good deal. We just paid $175 for the front Animal. I paid $400 something for the Vengeance with an adjustable & RTP in 2003.

If your 200 or under and ski at 30-34, I'd think you'd be fine with a 67".

Does anyone know when they (HO) changed the foot pattern last?
'05 would definitely be the new pattern. They changed it sometime around '02 (could've been '01 or '03 Dontknow.gif ).

If you get the 67 then that would be your incentive to stay in shape so that you don't get too heavy for the ski. Biggrin.gif $270 w/ Animal SF is a smoking deal.