Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hours on engine gage

DoinIt

New on the forum. Just bought a really nice 1997 Malibu Response, love it.  The hours on engine gage is showing 4200 hours. I was told the key was left on and the boat actually has around 400 hours on it.  The previous owner took it in and had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and it turns out it has 464 hours on the engine.  We took it to the lake, it performed excellent so we bought it.

i want to replace the gage with the proper hours on it.  Where can I buy the gage set with the right hours on it?  Thanks for any help/advice.

Is buying the gage from a Malibu dealer my only option?  The previous owner told me I could send a copy of the diagnostic sheet to someone or a company on this forum that sells the analog gage preset with the correct hours on it. He said not to buy the digital gage for some reason, I don't recall why.   Regardless of how it gets done I want to get it right, it's the only thing I've found on this boat that isn't dang near perfect. I have never owned anything 20 years old in this good of condition.

I replaced my tach with hour meter 200 hours ago.  It still has not reset.  The engine should show 690 hours.  It never reset itself.  The hour meter is really just a running number to help keep tract of maintenance.  

When its time to sell the boat, I will get someone to run the printout. 

Edited by Bozboat
1 hour ago, jammer said:

For a typical Malibu is the hours reading a measure of the amount of time the power was on OR the number of hours the engine was running?

Not sure about typical or older set ups but for the analog multi function display it is the time the engine is above 300 rpm - so ignition on but not running would not add hours.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, DoinIt said:

Is buying the gage from a Malibu dealer my only option?  The previous owner told me I could send a copy of the diagnostic sheet to someone or a company on this forum that sells the analog gage preset with the correct hours on it. He said not to buy the digital gage for some reason, I don't recall why.   Regardless of how it gets done I want to get it right, it's the only thing I've found on this boat that isn't dang near perfect. I have never owned anything 20 years old in this good of condition.

Photos....?

http://www.enmco.com/

From my invoice:

Item #: T14BH517BC

Item Name: T14 DC Powered Hour Meter I.

This is the OEM supplier for your hour meter. I had to order one for my 98 Response and they were able to set the hours to match the PCM reading. I too left my key on while in winter storage and it put over 2000 hrs on the meter. The PCM showed 464 hrs when the Malibu Service Tech hooked up his scan gauge. They charge $10 to set the meter to a specific value. The total cost was around $90. 

On 8/18/2016 at 11:24 AM, minnmarker said:

Not sure about typical or older set ups but for the analog multi function display it is the time the engine is above 300 rpm - so ignition on but not running would not add hours.

Not true on 98 and older. (maybe 1999 and older) The meter is simply wired to the ignition switch. It counts as long as the key is on. It has no idea if the engine is on or not. I have firsthand knowledge on this topic. LOL!

if you are going to bother replacing it then get the proper 2 output oil pressure switch to replace the single that is on your boat. Then run the hour meter through the second set of contacts. That way it won't matter if you leave key on, hour meter only runs when there is oil pressure.

• Like 2