Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing 6+ people

ponderosasurf

Last year we skiied 6 people (200 average weight) behind a buddy's '15 22 mxz with the 350, got us all up but I don't know if it could handle anymore. Well we upgrade to a lsv with the ls3 and G4 tower (torque prop, can't remember #) this year and want to ski more people. Now we don't have special ropes, so everyone has there own rope. What are your thoughts on how many people we can get out of the water and where should the ropes be attached? We would love to do 10 people, but is that even realistic? Thoughts? 

200lb average skiier 

FWIW, last year we had 2 on tower, 2 on pylon, 1 on each lift hook on each side (not sure if that's the best idea but figured if it can lift 5k should be able to pull someone out) 

Edited by ponderosasurf

I am looking for the thread, there is a member on here that does this annually i want to say they 11ish people up behind a 409 powered vlx.  i want to say it was 75% from the pylon and 25$ on the tower. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit: Found it! 

I personally have done 6 with my SS LXI, I had 4 on the pylon and two on the tower. Mine struggled for about 3 seconds and then everyone popped right up!

11754126_10152863246722735_6991918359338

Edit. we had 3 chase boats which you can see in the picture behind us

Edited by twitchee2
pictures!
  • Like 1

the lower you can get the ropes the better.  Power really isn't the issue its the angles you're fighting getting on plane.  A few years ago some guys on my lake ran double booms and got 6 barefooters up from deep at once.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

You can load up 3 on each stern eye.  Does your boat have a grab rail at the top of the transom?

I do.

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

the lower you can get the ropes the better.  Power really isn't the issue its the angles you're fighting getting on plane.  A few years ago some guys on my lake ran double booms and got 6 barefooters up from deep at once.  

So maybe 2 on stern eyes, 3 on grab rail and 3 on pylon? 

6_zpsxbsmx1rl.jpg

3 hours ago, twitchee2 said:

I am looking for the thread, there is a member on here that does this annually i want to say they 11ish people up behind a 409 powered vlx.  i want to say it was 75% from the pylon and 25$ on the tower. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit: Found it! 

I personally have done 6 with my SS LXI, I had 4 on the pylon and two on the tower. Mine struggled for about 3 seconds and then everyone popped right up!

11754126_10152863246722735_6991918359338

Edit. we had 3 chase boats which you can see in the picture behind us

This was our 6 last year 6_zpsxbsmx1rl.jpg

I'm surprised the pylon can hold that many! No fear of it breaking @Fman? Very impressive, nonetheless! We are all going to ski when we do it as that's what the most are comfortable on.

We did 8 all from the pylon back in 2002 or 2003.  3 on slalom skis, 5 got up on combos, then 2 people kicked.  The pylon is stout enough to hold the boat in place at WOT.  At least the older, non pop up ones are.  I had ropes attached low, not all at the top in the rope notch.

• Like 1

All from pylon, not a problem.

Show skiing pulls more all the time. 5-10 around the boat.

12 people in a pyramid or more. This is with a Response LX or sometimes LXI.

If on a dock like @toddthelineman suggests, than easily 10-15. Granted you need good boat speed before the line goes tight and good skiers to hang on. Though the people will slow the boat down fast before it planes again.

• Like 1

You can also stagger the lines to get more people up.  Biggest mistake people make is not having their skis together.  Keeping them close helps to get up and less water drag from the torso.

Good luck.

• Like 1

We just got 4 ppl up barefooting longline, deepwater starts behind a 88 barefoot nautique with a 454.

2 ppl on extended pylon, 2 on lower pylon. With 4 footers it only hit 39 mph. Regular top speed is 47 no skiers. We got all 4 up twice out of 8 tries. And it shredded my barefoot suit that was wearing out in the rear. Time to buy a new one.

And if you pull wakeboarders, you are boarding, not skiing lol

Tried 13 skiers this weekend. Had a driver that drove for the 2nd time. Had a family issue with our other driver. Didn't get everyone up. 2 90lb kids gave up and I decided to drive. Tried 10, got 9 up. 1 that fell was slaloming. We knew she wasn't going to get up. I think the first driver went 0 to 100 as fast as possible. The LS3 pulled the 9 up with ease with a smooth acceleration.