Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walk Through and Ballast

Claire1000

I am considering a A20 or A22. Sold our 2004 XTI 21 and wanting something newer we can learn to surf on. 

I hate the idea of not having a walk through bow. Really I have to crawl on cushions? I launch solo often and have to walk up to unhook, dock, etc. Also seems harder to clean. Is this a huge deal or not as much as I think. A fella in the Malibu forum said a walkthrough prevents the front ballast tank. Do the 15s need a ballast tank or did they solve that with the wakegate/other ways?

Also, I see in another thread on here that the bow area got bigger at somepoint. We don't use it much and I like the picklefork, but I don't want it to be bigger in exchange for cockpit room. When did it change? 

9 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

I am considering a A20 or A22. Sold our 2004 XTI 21 and wanting something newer we can learn to surf on. 

I hate the idea of not having a walk through bow. Really I have to crawl on cushions? I launch solo often and have to walk up to unhook, dock, etc. Also seems harder to clean. Is this a huge deal or not as much as I think. A fella in the Malibu forum said a walkthrough prevents the front ballast tank. Do the 15s need a ballast tank or did they solve that with the wakegate/other ways?

Also, I see in another thread on here that the bow area got bigger at somepoint. We don't use it much and I like the picklefork, but I don't want it to be bigger in exchange for cockpit room. When did it change? 

Take yer shoes off, ;) shouldn't be anything that needs additional cleaning

10 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Your kids will love it! Get a giant beach towel and put it down?

15+A22 has walk thru bow, there is a removable cushion over the walk thru area, lately I have removed the cushion, left it in the truck, so I could put an additional 540 bag in the walkway.  I don't do that if I have enough crew.  There is a horseshoe bag that fits under the seats.  It is must have.  A22 needs bow weight.  For surfing:  all hard tanks full.  750's in the rear, burped full.  Front horseshoe bag full, addnl 540 sac in walkway, or more crew.

I rarely launch by myself, but I can't say I have extra cleaning to do when I do.  But I never wear shoes in my boat, even if the ramp is busy.  It takes less than a second to pull off a flip flop.

To your other question, yes the change to add a walk-through does reduce the bow ballast that will fit.  My bag (2012 no walk-through) is shaped like an arrow.  These boats love bow weight.  Many owners still throw an additional sack on the bow when crew is light.  And, IMO, the crawl though pop up seat backs are nice.  

So I guess my take away is you guys don't find the crawl through that big of an issue, and I probably want a sack up there anyways for surfing. That right? 

• Like 1

That's my opinion.  I throw the extra sack up there for wakeboarding and surfing as I much prefer to go out with 2 other people really early to get good water and still not spend all day with 5 or 6 people taking sets.  It's not necessary, but if I fill stock tanks, the arrow bag and the rear 750's with no additional bow weight I end up rear heavy.  For wakeboarding the wake is plenty for me to land all my tricks without having absolutely full 750s and the extra bow bag.

On August 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Claire1000 said:

So I guess my take away is you guys don't find the crawl through that big of an issue, and I probably want a sack up there anyways for surfing. That right? 

There is no crawl through and you could use 2 straightline150's and put them on either side for goofy and left stack them to slightly improve/list the regular  and hold the nose down and lengthen wave. Those bags give you some of your bow to walk back and forth , there is no "crawl" unless your not opening windshield.  The package from wakemakers for one bag and a slow pump is $ 150  right now perfect bag to move around for even wakeboard wake

Edited by granddaddy55
On 8/19/2016 at 8:55 AM, granddaddy55 said:

There is no crawl through and you could use 2 straightline150's and put them on either side for goofy and left stack them to slightly improve/list the regular  and hold the nose down and lengthen wave. Those bags give you some of your bow to walk back and forth , there is no "crawl" unless your not opening windshield.  The package from wakemakers for one bag and a slow pump is $ 150  right now perfect bag to move around for even wakeboard wake

The crawl through she is referencing is the older model A20 and A22 boats.  Where you have a walkthrough I have folding seats.  One folds forward to close off the bow, the other closes back to give another seat adjacent to the observer.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, onwi said:

The crawl through she is referencing is the older model A20 and A22 boats.  Where you have a walkthrough I have folding seats.  One folds forward to close off the bow, the other closes back to give another seat adjacent to the observer.

Yea I know it's called the chill ax option which I have, not a problem until mushroom bag is really full, then the ridiculous tip toe acts begin, once it's full and underway not at launch which she was mainly referring to, and the only crawl possible is windshield closed which may be her point as she was talking about launching by accessing the boat from bow not platform and she may not be able to reach and unlock , leave unlocked no problem 

my point, there is no crawl

Edited by granddaddy55
?