Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Buying Advice Needed

Claire1000

2 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

There are several iterations of aftermarket surfing gates that range from $175 to $600, or you can make your own for about $50 if you have a couple saws and a drill.

Or for $2,000 to $3,000 you can add a Wake Logic or Go Surf Assist system.  The Wake Logic is basically the same as OEM but there is some DIY involved. 

38 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Just a slight correction, Surf Gate for Axis came out in 2014.

I agree with the suggestions for looking for a used T22. I surf one all the time and it is awesome. The 2014 A20 and A22 have surfgate, but the hull isn't as good as the 2014 T22. In 2015 the A22 hull changed and it is much much better. Just spent some time on a 2015 A22 and I have zero complaints about the stock wave with 550 PNP bags in the lockers. Could be really really good with 750's and some extra bow weight. Hull changed for the A20 in 2016. I have no personal experience with the A20 though.

If you are looking at mid-late 2000 LSV's I would think your budget would support a 2014-15 T22 or 15 A22 and I highly suggest it. If you are just getting into surfing you will very much appreciate the ability to change sides, left or right foot forward, with the flip of a switch. And then as you get better the wave will be plenty good to get into 360's, airs, and other tricks.

I like this one! :)

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/5733842297.html

12 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

I just sold our 2004 Wakesetter 21 XTI so that we can upgrade. I'm looking for some advice please. 

20-23. Size not a big deal to us. We do want the open interior layout of a vdrive.

We normally wakeboard, but I blew a knee, and we're getting older, so are now playing on the wakeskate and figure we are going to get into surfing. We have never tried surfing. We also want to tow kids on a tube occasionally. 

Originally I was thinking of something in the 2009/2010 range. Wanting to stay under 250 hours. However, I've learned about the surfgates and such, and am trying to figure out if they really are worth the extra money a newer model would run. I'm a righty and husband is a lefty. Also, I'm not real into creature comforts, so the Axis looks really interesting to me. 

I do like to get out the old ski occasionally, which may suck regardless of which bu or axis we go with. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

on a buzy lake no A20, got one and I'm sure the waves would come over that nose regularly, but i have a stripped ugly white plain 2014 I got for 54500 ordered new in 2013 December including tandem galvanized trailer and 7 or 8 key options(sp1 stereo- do your own upgrades) that make it livable and not expensive, you could go new for around 50 maybe no trailer with a 5 yr warranty, I have no pride of what it looks like to me or others, by time I sacked it out, for four Titan non swivels and a tower mirror I got cheap from texas Malibu from in house upgraded boats, tax title license surf boards, all safety gear for boat , $63500, I cut a check!

no used or existing new axis surfgate boats available then , with 2016 holdovers you should do better

absolutely love my very big surf wake , next year a 2419 acme and I can put as many people I want on top of full ballast and wedge and the wave will be insane!!! Best now with acne 1235 with just a couple people in boat, currently can't get big load and people to wakeboard speed, and struggles with surf speed as well, but it was 7 people and a rated 3400 including fuel plus wedge at sea level, 

ski wake decent, don't shorten the line, it's better recreational . If you really rip and actually cut in to wake on a real edge,  then it launches you  about 8 ft to water, not unsafe , but the at speed landing(38-50mph cutting) is a very hard thwack that severely bothers my 30 yr reco knee.  Wife loves it at her recreational level, again don't shorten rope for rec or better skier , I think I made mistake of shortening the line which brings you to a taller stiffer place in the ski wake for myself.

also the stock setup with wedge is a great fun and challenging wake for the lesser recreational boarder and not at all intimidating , if anything it's quite inviting and it still give you decent w2w airs, I have skated behind this boat with surface turns from every board placement and direction possible, no airs yet, love my skate behind this boat.  For those with air skills on skate, the setup is stock ballast plus wedge and 19.5 for w2w, if no w2w use just wedge and a very slow 15 and spin yourself into oblivion over the wake, behind the boat of flats, the wedge makes your over the wake surface  spins just perfect 

check the post your video here forum and you can see my hero/wife ride all three wakes/wave in a couple weekends on the last page of forum, wakeboard wske is stock 800 and wedge, we close valves to stop all passive filling of sacks for slalom( I had shortened her rope in video and she was pissed, but still ok run) and completely fill and burp the rear850's , and the mushroom 950, plus the wedge and we plug all the vent and overflows with hinge boat plugs to hold that water in,  silver so don't even look bad, for surf wave, awesome goofy wave and very good regular side, awesome with a slight list for regular and flip of switch to accommodate each rider!

switches , I get lost on those screen deals like my buddies g23, axis is so simple, read  manual in a couple of hours and only had slight confusion at first that wouldn't have happen if I had any experience at all with a cruise control ballast boat, we never had one before, like can't pull anybody unless you do use cruise, learning lesson, can't hold throttle to steady speed 

Edited by granddaddy55
5 hours ago, 67King said:

I would be looking for a 2013 Axis A20.  I'm pretty sure the Surfgate came out on the Axis in 2013?  Reason being is that the boat only weighs 3200 pounds.  They got heavier in 2014.  My older A22 had a ski-able wake.  My VLX, which weighs 800 pounds more, does not.

Nope, I ordered the 2014 cause 1st year , Malibu 2013

ski wake really good for recreational intermediate slalom , not so good for experts or advanced rec

14 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Thanks. Budget is flexible. Don't want to spend more than I have to...like everyone.  Is ballasting a boat that tricky? Just time consuming? Also, this may be a better question for the Axis forum, but what the heck is up with no walk through on the older boats? Is this a big of a pain as I think it is? I often launch the boat by myself, so walking up to the bow to unhook and stuff seems silly if I have to crawl around on cushions and take my shoes off, etc. Can you get a walk through on the A20 or A22? I see videos where there were now added, but can't figure out if that's a year change or an option. 

2016 became real walk through then step up/down in actual bow area, 2014-2015 step up on seat on top of locker in the "walk thru" then walk on cushions, IT IS EASY, bag in mushroom shaped bag in locker underneath what your walking on. 2016 arrow bag as elevated portion of walkway eliminated so smaller bag but more people convenient and sort of easier walk thru. If 2014 or 15 chillax seat is up while boat operating, it is quite the dance to walk over/thru that! The cushions are there regardless 2014 and 2016 in the actual bow. or you could be side stack the bowcushions and you dirty the gel coat, wipe up the dirt , wipe the cushions, one entrance in a white boat and you will be removing your shoes cause you see it all and if it gets wet its mud

My 6 carb 225 evinrude outboard was s pig on gas, 330hp monsoon for load it carries I find very fuel efficient, and with this boat we are constantly running it

Edited by granddaddy55

So I'm seeing the T22/T23 or 2015+ A22 would be good options. And even the guys in the Malibu forum think an Axis would be a better fit for us than an older LSV. I like the idea of a newer less fancy boat over an older boat with touch screens and power wedges and stuff. Am I thinking on the right lines? 

• Like 1

Went and looked at boats today at a dealer. I definitely think the Axis is the right fit for us. I'm just not a bells and whistles person and netiher is hubby. The 2016 Malibu is a far cry from my 2004. 

I was suprised how identical the T22 felt to the A22. The T23 was too big. 

Does the 350 get the job done in the A22? They put 1235 props on them. 

Stephen- Beautiful boat. Exactly what I'm looking for. Except you're  26 hours each way from me. 

• Like 2

You guys should meet at lake Powell and knock a bucket list item out and make it happen.

if you want to push weight with the 350 go with at least the 2315

i use the 2419 and have a 2315 as my back up prop

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Just a slight correction, Surf Gate for Axis came out in 2014.

I agree with the suggestions for looking for a used T22. I surf one all the time and it is awesome. The 2014 A20 and A22 have surfgate, but the hull isn't as good as the 2014 T22. In 2015 the A22 hull changed and it is much much better. Just spent some time on a 2015 A22 and I have zero complaints about the stock wave with 550 PNP bags in the lockers. Could be really really good with 750's and some extra bow weight. Hull changed for the A20 in 2016. I have no personal experience with the A20 though.

If you are looking at mid-late 2000 LSV's I would think your budget would support a 2014-15 T22 or 15 A22 and I highly suggest it. If you are just getting into surfing you will very much appreciate the ability to change sides, left or right foot forward, with the flip of a switch. And then as you get better the wave will be plenty good to get into 360's, airs, and other tricks.

Thanks for the correction.  Appears most folks are focusing on the surf capabilities first and foremost.  Guess I'm trying to keep things more ski friendly given my experience.  The extra weight makes a big, big difference.  I'd say a gated VTX as another option, but I"m guessing that may be out of the budget.

20 hours ago, shadetreefab said:

That's definitely where I'm torn. Brand new A22 vs 2013 or so Malibu. I loved my Malibu. I know they make the Axis, but it's still not the same. I just am worried about all the gadgets, as we don't have a dealer anywhere near us, and I don't really need or much want the gadgets I don't think. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

If you are looking at a brand new A22, go with that. The warranty is a plus. And, I mentioned I just spend a fair amount of time in an A22, I really liked the boat. They have come a long ways in the interior designs that make them feel much less "cheap" for lack of a better way of explaining it.

14 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Went and looked at boats today at a dealer. I definitely think the Axis is the right fit for us. I'm just not a bells and whistles person and netiher is hubby. The 2016 Malibu is a far cry from my 2004. 

I was suprised how identical the T22 felt to the A22. The T23 was too big. 

Does the 350 get the job done in the A22? They put 1235 props on them. 

Stephen- Beautiful boat. Exactly what I'm looking for. Except you're  26 hours each way from me. 

1235 with 330hp  at sea level will handle an A20 with no more than 3 maybe 4 inc driver for surfing with full stock,pnp, and wedge, and probably will not get that load up for wakeboarding.  Nice performance and fuel with 1235 with full load and 3 in boat or less, perfect for driver only and full load.  Need 2419 to wakeboard full load and many people as well as for surfing with many people, won't come to surf selected speed without it but topped at 9.4-9.6 at best and less with 7 adults and full load.  I think 2419 and 1235 are perfect pair too have.  If you can run that 1235, better fuel for skiing and faster cruising and a little better on fuel for surfing as you go up 2-350 in rpms for surfing on the bigger wheel 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV

The 350 got the a22 with the 1235 to 10.8-11 surf speeds with 550 pnp and wedge with four to 6 adults in the boat. If there was 6 adults in the boat I had my friend who is like 220 sit in the bow. This was in Michigan I think our elevation is at like 700ish?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 350 got the a22 with the 1235 to 10.8-11 surf speeds with 550 pnp and wedge with four to 6 adults in the boat. If there was 6 adults in the boat I had my friend who is like 220 sit in the bow. This was in Michigan I think our elevation is at like 700ish?

Extra bow weight helps but I'm running 850 rears and 950 mushroom well burped plus 800 stock ,wedge , full fuel! And at time was 7 adults and a rider wakeboarding as well we had 3 of them in the nose for surfing and wakeboarding  ,  however much the sacs actually fill, that load was an issue , 4 people in boat no problem for surfing, problem for wakeboarding with 1235, mostly driver and rider with us, I need to find out if it will get that load up for wakeboarding with 1235

Edited by granddaddy55