Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22 MXZ

ConnollyCrew

11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I have never been an advocate for the "lowest RPMs" contest.  Frankly, at my altitude I've never cared to even play the low RPMs game.  If you don't think that the FAE makes a difference running higher RPMs, take it off and run back to back.  FAE and RPMs are "related" in the sense that they both contribute to/reduce noise, but I've never advocated low rpms as a means of noise abatement.  If you don't think the FAE reduces noise, even while pushing the correct prop for the circumstances, take it off and confirm.

But if the test is to set your weight and wedge for surfing, turn cruise off and hit redline, I doubt it can be done with a prop that only turns 3500 at surf speed.  ICBW?  Not with a GM platform above 2k' at least, which is what matters to me (and should matter to anyone who plans to use the boat under those conditions).  I guess folks can always dump weight at altitude, but nobody wants to have to do that.

not exactly true.

Does Malibu offer the GL cover as an alternative to the CS cover for the LSV like they do for axis?  I've been a long time advocate of the evo, but I've gotta say I'm real happy with my factory GL cover, mostly because it's sunbrella (like an evo) rather than sharkskin like the CS factory cover I had for my MB.

They sure do, and we order 100% GL covers for all of our inventory Malibu Boats / Axis Wake Research models... IMO, GL's material is thicker / nicer and hang tyte system is legit!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I have never been an advocate for the "lowest RPMs" contest.  Frankly, at my altitude I've never cared to even play the low RPMs game.  If you don't think that the FAE makes a difference running higher RPMs, take it off and run back to back.  FAE and RPMs are "related" in the sense that they both contribute to/reduce noise, but I've never advocated low rpms as a means of noise abatement.  If you don't think the FAE reduces noise, even while pushing the correct prop for the circumstances, take it off and confirm.

But if the test is to set your weight and wedge for surfing, turn cruise off and hit redline, I doubt it can be done with a prop that only turns 3500 at surf speed.  ICBW?  Not with a GM platform above 2k' at least, which is what matters to me (and should matter to anyone who plans to use the boat under those conditions).  I guess folks can always dump weight at altitude, but nobody wants to have to do that.

not exactly true.

Does Malibu offer the GL cover as an alternative to the CS cover for the LSV like they do for axis?  I've been a long time advocate of the evo, but I've gotta say I'm real happy with my factory GL cover, mostly because it's sunbrella (like an evo) rather than sharkskin like the CS factory cover I had for my MB.

I'm not saying the FAE doesn't help, at least I don't think I said that. What I was trying to communicate is that if a quiet cabin is the goal (context of our prior convos was stereo, so I'm extrapolating that quiet cabin is the goal), then you have to consider ALL variables, not just one. You seem to only want to focus on FAE. All I'm saying is that rpm is at least as big a factor (if not bigger) if quiet cabin is the goal. 

I couldn't care less about an online rpm contest. For me it's just about what my ears hear, and they prefer 3500 to 4000 :biggrin:

If the goal is just fume reduction, then disregard my comments about rpm's. 

Btw... There are other variables still, like boat construction, engine choice, engine box insulation, etc. 

As for me, now that it's a factory option, my next boat will likely have that Surfpipe, Shawndoggy!  (even though I know it will do nothing for my resale). You can't say I don't listen to you!!  I just never wanted one that looked like it was built out of spare parts from Ace Hardware.  

Ok then, let's hear it Shawn, why would lower rpms be a negative when either wake boarding or surfing?  As long as the engine is working in a good power band, it seems to me lower rpms would only be a positive attribute.  Potentially less fuel consumption and a little easier on the engine? Or maybe I am looking at it all wrong.  I personally would rather be surfing at 3400 rpms than 4000.

6 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If the goal is just fume reduction, then disregard my comments about rpm's. 

FAE's main benefit for the stereo isn't IN the boat, it's BEHIND the boat.  stereo doesn't have to compete with exhaust.

Just now, Fman said:

Ok then, let's hear it Shawn, why would lower rpms be a negative when either wake boarding or surfing?  As long as the engine is working in a good power band, it seems to me lower rpms would only be a positive attribute.  Potentially less fuel consumption and a little easier on the engine? Or maybe I am looking at it all wrong.  I personally would rather be surfing at 3400 rpms than 4000.

If you can get away with 3400, it's fine.  I just suspect that most can't surf with max ballast at 3400 and then hit redline in the same config.

Of course I'm at altitude too and I know my boat feels like it has a supercharger down at bullards.  So maybe I'm just too pessimistic and there are people at sea level who really do have that much headroom in their surf configs.

2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

If you can get away with 3400, it's fine.  I just suspect that most can't surf with max ballast at 3400 and then hit redline in the same config.

Of course I'm at altitude too and I know my boat feels like it has a supercharger down at bullards.  So maybe I'm just too pessimistic and there are people at sea level who really do have that much headroom in their surf configs.

If you look at Dave's previous post look at the power bar while he is surfing at 3500 he has quite a bit more throttle leftover before he hits a speed wall.  I'm hopeful with that 2277 at 2000' I will have good rpms and be able to push the weight I need.

Its going to be a good comparison to see this Ford vs my old 409, I have a feeling the Ford is going to be quite a step up from all the reviews I am seeing.

• Like 2

Here's one thing I have noticed after 85 hours on a '16 23LSV, 410 with 2249 prop.

Full factory ballast+Max Wakemakers locker bags+650 Bow bag @10.6 MPH = 4400 RPMs. It's a great wake.

Full factory blast + Max Wakemakers bags ~3/4 full (just the bottom part of the bag full)+650 bow [email protected] MPH = 3600 RPMs. It's also a great wake. It might be a little shorter in height but it's still long (bow bag makes this possible) and a great surf wake. The prop holds speed great. Always holds the speed set. The plus here is you use a Lot less fuel.

I'd be interested to see what the RPM is on the boat with 550 bags and a 2277 at the same speed and how well it holds that speed. I'm really rethinking the max bags for '17.

I've noticed some of the same thing on my '14.  I can totally slam it with a full crew and the LSA engine gets it up on plane just fine, but I don't know if the wave is that much better than 3 people in the boat no extra bags besides PNP and the bow bag 2/3 full.  The wave is slightly better but it's a lot more work and the boat drives like a pig.