Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 22 MXZ

ConnollyCrew

23 hours ago, smooky said:

Can we go back to the main topic ?? 17 22 MXZ ?  and create another topic for G4 tower, windshield, tower mirror, or whatever...

Thanks guy I want info about the wake for surfing, test, video, etc with this new boat. Other stuffs are identical on every boats

If you want real world experience on the wakes go out and demo it for yourself.  That is truly how you get info about a wake and how you will like or dislike the boat.  Everyone has different tastes in wakeboard and surf set ups.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Fman said:

If you want real world experience on the wakes go out and demo it for yourself.  That is truly how you get info about a wake and how you will like or dislike the boat.  Everyone has different tastes in wakeboard and surf set ups.

Yeah, unfortunately here in Switzerland, Dealers doesn't have any stock boat. So I rely on TMC :-)

18 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I would not buy this wake it if you can't handle a beefy very rampy wake. It is beautiful but very steep wakeboard wake. I wish I had added bow weight to see if I could mellow it out, make a smoother transition. Surf wake is different than any malibu I've ever been on. It was very flat and long. 

I liked the 22 very much and walked away impressed with the wake capability. With small Childeren I am choosing another 23 as the wakeboard wake has a much more mellow transition. Good luck! ? 

Surf wake with full mls and 450 plug n plays.

Sounds like revving pretty high?

1 hour ago, dealjb said:

Sounds like revving pretty high?

Was running about 3900 rpms...engine seems louder than the GM based platforms. Buuutttt I have not heard of any oil burning issues ...

25 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

That better not be with surfpipe? :mad:

3900 RPMs? Hmmm? We were ~3500 with the 2249, 750PNP and around 11 MPH on a 23 LSV demo with no bow weight. 

You'll push 4K with that setup by the time you sack it out, get all of your junk on board, fill up the gas tank to full, and add a full crew.  NTTAWT -- I am hoping that the days of "whose RPMs are the lowest" bragging are over.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

You'll push 4K with that setup by the time you sack it out, get all of your junk on board, fill up the gas tank to full, and add a full crew.  NTTAWT -- I am hoping that the days of "whose RPMs are the lowest" bragging are over.

IDK? @IXFE was around 3500 loaded. 

Dont kill the hope man! ;)

Edited by teamerickson

Never saw IXFE chime in on whether he could hit the redline number with that setup.

Plus IXFE's highest is shasta.  If you plan to run at bullards, rollins, (tahoe, obviously) you will need to prop more agressively than he does (2249 or shorter).

Seeing as I have the same 2249/1.72 tranny/prop combo, and knowing what my boat spins to do mid 11s while surfing, I feel pretty confident about the 4k prediction.

Edited by shawndoggy
1 minute ago, teamerickson said:

IDK? @IXFE was around 3500 loaded. 

Dont kill the hope man! ;)

MXZ is just heavier too and has more ballast.  Even with 450 to 750 PNP bags the MXZ is heavier.

I personally think the MXZ is pushing more water with the hull design or at least in a different way.  The waves are just different so there's some other things at play besides weight.  My demo MXZ seemed to be working to get it up to speed, but nothing to worry about.  Overall it felt comparable to the LSV in that regard.

Not to go off topic, but what prop is coming standard on the 17s? I would like to find something that will work at 2000' and sea level.  More than likely will be going with the lsv this time around.  What prop would you guys recommend?

25 minutes ago, Fman said:

Not to go off topic, but what prop is coming standard on the 17s? I would like to find something that will work at 2000' and sea level.  More than likely will be going with the lsv this time around.  What prop would you guys recommend?

2249 is a monster for me at bullards with PCM 450.  FWIW.  For you where bullards is the highest, 2247 would probably be more than enough.  Or OJ 985?

Here's proof of my 3500 rpm as well as throttle position (i.e. tons left).

Setup is as follows:

* Monsoon 410 (i.e. 6.2L Ford Raptor)

* 1.76:1 transmission

* Acme 2277 (15x15.75)

* Wakemakers customs LSV locker bags - supposedly 750's but likely well over 800 given WM's habit of understating their bags

* Sumo 650 sack in the bow filled to MAX - close to 750 according to Wakeworld

* wife and kids on board... or was it Surf Club guys??  Can't remember. Similar crew size regardless  

* gas tank full-ish (I fill It before every outing)

* Willamette River (sea level)

I have no idea about getting to redline and frankly don't care.  By the time I read that thread my boat was already sold so I never tried it. I've owned three LSV's in a row (14, 15, 16) and this is BY FAR the best powertrain (engine, trans, prop combo) of the lot of them... It handles the weight and gets to speed EASILY.  I've even had it up to wakeboard speeds with all my weight loaded  

@shawndoggy is probably right... If you go with the 2249 prop and go to higher elevation and add a bunch of wedge you will likely push 4000. Personally I don't like that, but maybe it doesn't matter. I mean everybody is proclaiming the Centurion Ri217 as the new king of the surf world and when I demo'd it we were between 4300-4500 rpm (i.e. H6 motor screening for mercy). Not my cup of tea, but whatevs

I had the boat at Shasta which isn't exactly high altitude but certainly more than Oregon and there was ZERO perceptible difference  

YMMV yada yada...

945DCA29-1926-4AE1-818A-04C0FE7FE079_zps

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2

@teamerickson @Fman if I were you guys I would stick with the standard 2277 prop and see how it goes. If you find that you're hitting the speed wall at some of your higher elevation lakes then you can always upgrade to something else and keep the 2277 as a spare. But I like the idea of working your way up. Don't give away all those RPM's right off the bat

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm not sure I'm over it yet... and I kinda feel like you're changing tunes on me, Shawn. 

Aren't you the guy who's been trying to tell me for years to run a FAE / surf pipe if for no other reason than noise abatement?  You've even told me the best stereo upgrade I could make was FAE. Suddenly you don't care about RPM's??  Aren't they a major factor when it comes to interior noise levels??

I demo'd a lot of boats this fall and the new 24 MXZ with Surfpipe running 3900 RPM was loud AF. Maybe it's because I was on a G23 just days earlier (now that's a quiet interior), but I literally walked walked away shaking my head. My takeaway was that Surfpipe is nice and all that, but it can only do so much when you're dealing 4K rpm's. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@teamerickson @Fman if I were you guys I would stick with the standard 2277 prop and see how it goes. If you find that you're hitting the speed wall at some of your higher elevation lakes then you can always upgrade to something else and keep the 2277 as a spare. But I like the idea of working your way up. Don't give away all those RPM's right off the bat

Ok. :)

83145649-E982-47D8-ACC4-55F739CAEA74_zps

18 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Great feedback Shawn, Dave and Stephen...lower rpms are never a bad thing.... will go with the 2277.  I am also looking forward to having a 68 gallon fuel tank :-)  no more concerns about running out of fuel for a long day on the water!

8 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I'm not sure I'm over it yet... and I kinda feel like you're changing tunes on me, Shawn. 

Aren't you the guy who's been trying to tell me for years to run a FAE / surf pipe if for no other reason than noise abatement?  You've even told me the best stereo upgrade I could make was FAE. Suddenly you don't care about RPM's??  Aren't they a major factor when it comes to interior noise levels??

I demo'd a lot of boats this fall and the new 24 MXZ with Surfpipe running 3900 RPM was loud AF. Maybe it's because I was on a G23 just days earlier (now that's a quiet interior), but I literally walked walked away shaking my head. My takeaway was that Surfpipe is nice and all that, but it can only do so much when you're dealing 4K rpm's. 

I have never been an advocate for the "lowest RPMs" contest.  Frankly, at my altitude I've never cared to even play the low RPMs game.  If you don't think that the FAE makes a difference running higher RPMs, take it off and run back to back.  FAE and RPMs are "related" in the sense that they both contribute to/reduce noise, but I've never advocated low rpms as a means of noise abatement.  If you don't think the FAE reduces noise, even while pushing the correct prop for the circumstances, take it off and confirm.

But if the test is to set your weight and wedge for surfing, turn cruise off and hit redline, I doubt it can be done with a prop that only turns 3500 at surf speed.  ICBW?  Not with a GM platform above 2k' at least, which is what matters to me (and should matter to anyone who plans to use the boat under those conditions).  I guess folks can always dump weight at altitude, but nobody wants to have to do that.

4 minutes ago, Fman said:

lower rpms are never a bad thing.... 

not exactly true.

6 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@teamerickson

evo cover, for the win!!

Does Malibu offer the GL cover as an alternative to the CS cover for the LSV like they do for axis?  I've been a long time advocate of the evo, but I've gotta say I'm real happy with my factory GL cover, mostly because it's sunbrella (like an evo) rather than sharkskin like the CS factory cover I had for my MB.