Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Malibu cruise control

Zdrift247lsv

Hello, 

looking for some help with my 2006 lsv...I have had my boat for a season and a half now and have never really been able to use the cruise control.  I have searched on here about the cruise control for older boats like this but didn't see too much...my dashboard still seems to work, speedo, ballast info, no bad pixels.  But I can't seem to get the thing to hold a constant speed, I am not on the boat right now and I didn't take any notes some some of the thing I say the computer says might be slightly off.  So with the boat running I go I to the cruise menu, there is a single button for that (top left) labeled cruise. I think that computer only has 6 buttons, 3 on each side. So once in the cruise menu, the screen is lit up with a digital "cruise off" in block on the top of the screen.  Here is where I am going to get shaky...if I push the red button it turns to "cruise on", then you get  the boat to the speed you want and some how activate the speed where you want it, all of this works I just haven't been using it so not totally familiar with the exacts...anyway once activated the bottom of the screen has a sliding block indicator line for the actual speed and where you want it.  Once you get the boat into that range the dash says "engine engage" or maybe just "engage" but the boat does nothing the speed will slow down or speed up if you don't manage it manually...the only thing the it really does seem to do is put a top end governor on it.  That meaning that if you floor it it won't go any faster unless you check the throttle then floor it again...so looking for help, I know I was kind of all over the place with the info but any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you need better info I can certainly try and get that...thanks in advance, Z

I have a 2007 VLX so I may be assuming it's the same as mine? At idol i first push cruise, then push the red button to turn on cruise. Next I st my speed. After that I drive the boat as if it didn't have a cruise. You will see a graphic with what looks like a canyon and a square that represents your throttle.. Keep the square centered in the canyon and you will hear a beep once it's engaged. It will become second nature and you won't need to look after a while. If you give too much throttle or too little it will tell you. 

Take the boat out of gear. Hit the cruise button. Get it to say speed on. Set the desired speed. Apply throttle, probably around 60-80% depending on speed and load. Black bar at bottom will either say apply more throttle, or there were be a gap in  the bottom bar, use the throttle to keep super mario between the blocks. You can just use up or down arrows on the display to adjust speed.

31 minutes ago, Zdrift247lsv said:

Okay I get that...so that's it?  There is no real assist that keeps the boat at the set speed or in the range, it just manual?  Thanks z

No, it sounds like it is not doing its job.  Once it says "eng" (engaged) it should hold speed.  It will say "more throttle" if you need to bump it a bit.  Mine will not hold speed exact, but close.  Not sure what your problem is but you are setting it correctly.  Hope that helps a bit.

Doesn't hold at all...I do a better job just watching the digital speed versus trying to read what it's telling me to do once it's too late...I will contact bakes online service, they have been helpful in the past and see what they think...thanks everyone for the help, z

I was having the same problem on my 06 VLX. After a lot of searching I found that there was an update on them, my dealer looked into it and found it. They flashed it with a laptop and it now works great and only took 10 minutes.

Have a look at your paddle wheel and make sure it's not missing any fins.  How much extra weight are your running and what prop?  Mine will bounce up and down a few tenths of an mph even at slow surf speeds, but bigger props (14.5" + ) generally tend to hold speed better.  

As previously stated:

Cruise (Cruise Off)

Red button (Cruise On)

Arrow up or down to set desired speed.

Smoothly throttle up paying attention to the bars and message at the bottom.   

you can't set cruise on and desired speed while underway and it still work, you have to be idle or stopped. I found mine works better if I go to the right of middle in the "canyon" for the cruise to engage.

1 hour ago, itznowonder said:

you can't set cruise on and desired speed while underway and it still work, you have to be idle or stopped. I found mine works better if I go to the right of middle in the "canyon" for the cruise to engage.

Actually you can, but that's a level 200 course :biggrin:

The cruise on my 06 boat has two settings rpm and mph.  It won't hold mph worth a hoot at wakeboard speeds, but does a great job holding the rpm at those speeds.  The mph works great at skiing speeds.  My solution is rpm for wakeboarding and mph for skiing.  Not sure if that is your issue, but thought I would throw it out there.

What everyone said but once you are in the window ( black bar ) don't do anything other then if you need to bump it a little to be more centered in the window.  Otherwise don't play with the throttle other then getting out of speed control.  Mine will hold + - .5  MPH under hard skiing. If you make a sharp turn it may change but will settle down again once water flow under the hull is stable again.  You should be able to change speed if needed well moving with the up / down arrows.

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

Actually you can, but that's a level 200 course :biggrin:

I've never been able to set my cruise speed after I'm underway, I can adjust up and down but I can't start the pull, then turn the system on and set it. So I guess I'll rephrase and say you cannot have the system off, then turn it on after you're underway.

54 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

I've never been able to set my cruise speed after I'm underway, I can adjust up and down but I can't start the pull, then turn the system on and set it. So I guess I'll rephrase and say you cannot have the system off, then turn it on after you're underway.

I can't remember if your actual speed needs to be higher or lower than the cruise control speed setting, but at some difference, say + or - 10mph, you can switch it on.  At least mine does and I learned that trick here.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I can't remember if your actual speed needs to be higher or lower than the cruise control speed setting, but at some difference, say + or - 10mph, you can switch it on.  At least mine does and I learned that trick here.  

I'll have to look that up in the forums then because I've had a few times I forgot to turn the cruise on then am unable to set it at any speed at all... maybe because I have a ride series boat its different?... hope I'm wrong because the last time I forgot won't actually be the last time I forget!!!

The way the mechanical cruise controls work is they reel out a line attached to the throttle cable to get to the set speed - effectively lengthening the throttle cable.  The fastest speed you can get with CC (or PP) is the speed the boat would be going (without the CC) with the throttle handle in a given position.  CC can only slow you down from there.  Now if you push the lever all the way forward the CC may not have enough line to reel out, so you have to be somewhere past, but not too far past, the throttle lever position you would use if you did not have CC.

11 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

I'll have to look that up in the forums then because I've had a few times I forgot to turn the cruise on then am unable to set it at any speed at all... maybe because I have a ride series boat its different?... hope I'm wrong because the last time I forgot won't actually be the last time I forget!!!

I believe the threshold is 6mph.  If I start without having it on then you can either increase your set speed until it's that much higher or slow your actual speed until you are below that.  You can then turn the cruise on and get back up to speed or bring the set speed back down to where you want it.  

• Like 1
Just now, Molarbu said:

I believe the threshold is 6mph.  If I start without having it on then you can either increase your set speed until it's that much higher or slow your actual speed until you are below that.  You can then turn the cruise on and get back up to speed or bring the set speed back down to where you want it.  

Thanks for that, I guess I know why I don't know that.. usually I'm pulling a skier out and 6mph just wont cut it! :)

Just now, itznowonder said:

Thanks for that, I guess I know why I don't know that.. usually I'm pulling a skier out and 6mph just wont cut it! :)

Sorry, the 6mph threshold is the difference between set and actual and I didn't make that clear.  For example if you pull a skier up and you have forgotten to turn the cruise on and you have it set for 30 mph you will need to slow the skier to 24 or less and then turn it on and speed back up.  Or you could pull them at 30 and hit the up button until your set speed is 36 or so and then turn it on.  Once it is on you can down button back to 30 and it will set there.  

• Like 2
Just now, Molarbu said:

Sorry, the 6mph threshold is the difference between set and actual and I didn't make that clear.  For example if you pull a skier up and you have forgotten to turn the cruise on and you have it set for 30 mph you will need to slow the skier to 24 or less and then turn it on and speed back up.  Or you could pull them at 30 and hit the up button until your set speed is 36 or so and then turn it on.  Once it is on you can down button back to 30 and it will set there.  

SWEET! Thanks. I will try the next time I have a driver error!

2 hours ago, Molarbu said:

Right on. I was gonna check in here to say this but glad someone knew that actual mph. We forget to set cruise all the time, just pull back on the throttle for a split second, set cruise to on, and pull the throttle back forward.

If your MPH is not holding steady (within .2 below or above) at wakeboarding speeds then something is wrong with your system. If it is important to you, you should get it checked out.

I use my boat for surfing so slower speeds 13 mph I have a 13.5" diameter prop.  I just started running 1300 extra pounds in the rear lockers, works really well and I run the two rear and center factory ballast full.  Paddle wheel not missing any teeth but reads a 78 degree lake at 126 degrees.  I can get the cruise screen to do all of the things you guys are telling me it should but it doesn't hold the speed at all...if I don't touch the throttle it will slow down and then it will tell me to increase the throttle and if you miss the window it drops out of cruise...sounds like I might need to see if there is a re flash for the computer and maybe a new paddle wheel?  I can do a better job with maintaining speed on my own while in the cruise menu watching the digital speed.  Again I'm not ultra familiar with the cruise because I haven't had much luck with it...I am going to be on it for 5 days straight coming up and will devote some real time to it but I think I will be coming back with the same result.  Thanks again z

Hey....pretty much what others have said. Sounds like you are setting it correctly so it should say speed engaged or something like that and beep.  Then you don't need to mess with the throttle anymore unless it beeps again and tells you more throttle.  I had mine flashed by the dealer probably the first or second year but my issue was at cruise speeds it would not hold below like 11mph.  There was an update and it fixed my problem, but I never had an issue at wakeboard speeds or higher.  

Thanks for the info on turning the cruise on after underway.  I figured out early on that if you slow down enough you can get it to turn on but I didn't know about the threshold of 6 mph.  I always remind newer drivers when I am in the water to make sure it says cruise on before pulling me.  Nothing like being on a wakeskate at 38mph to get the blood pumping!  Ask me how I know....  

Are you in a bow up mode that could be making uneven water flow at the paddle wheel ?   Try getting the bow down or run without ballast, see if it will hold speed slow but bow in the water?