Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help for a bigger wake!

Austin11

So I bought a 2005 VLX last April and it has four hard tanks. Two in the rear one in the center and one in the front. I have to say I am deeply disappointed with the size of the wake. With all four ballast tanks full and wedge down, the wake seems minimal compared to  other boats. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me any advice on how to make it bigger. Should I go at a certain speed, length of rope, add weight, etc? I thought the 05-08 hulls were some of the best for wakes but maybe I was mistaken?  Any help from anyone would be much appreciated thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Austin11 said:

So I bought a 2005 VLX last April and it has four hard tanks. Two in the rear one in the center and one in the front. I have to say I am deeply disappointed with the size of the wake. With all four ballast tanks full and wedge down, the wake seems minimal compared to  other boats. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me any advice on how to make it bigger. Should I go at a certain speed, length of rope, add weight, etc? I thought the 05-08 hulls were some of the best for wakes but maybe I was mistaken?  Any help from anyone would be much appreciated thanks. 

You need to add about 1,500 pounds of extra ballast to the rear lockers and ~700 to the bow. Stock won't cut it.

That is a solid hull for wakeboarding but the only good stock wake that I've found is behind a MXZ. Add some weight as gobble suggested

Edited by mikeyg

For purposes of surfing my boat is identical to yours. We've got a good wake dialed in with 900 in each rear locker, 500 middle and 700 front with wedge down and surf gates at 10.7 mph. Front weight includes 240 pounds of steel shot bags - or people. If we have more than 3 people we cut back on the rear weight accordingly.

Bottom line, your boat can make a very nice surf wake. You might think about pulling out the rear tanks and putting 1100 bags there.

1000-1500 lbs in rear lockers and 750 in walkway on top of stock, should be pretty solid.  Only wakeboard wake I've seen good stock is a G and that's cause your around 8000lbs with stock ballast.

22 minutes ago, Austin11 said:

How do I add any more to the front one in the front tank takes up all the room? Do I take out the cushions and put in a bag?

You could throw a triangle bag In front or put some lead under the cushions

11 minutes ago, t a said:

1000-1500 lbs in rear lockers and 750 in walkway on top of stock, should be pretty solid.  Only wakeboard wake I've seen good stock is a G and that's cause your around 8000lbs with stock ballast.

Did you take the hard tanks out and put sacks in or put sacks on top of the hard tanks? 

Just now, Austin11 said:

Did you take the hard tanks out and put sacks in or put sacks on top of the hard tanks? 

I piggy backed 400's on top of the hard tanks.  750's would prob be better.  If your willing to do the work I would take out hard tanks and just run 750's back there.  The piggy back system is a little slow filling and draining.

I got a vlx wakesetter 03 with the sv23 hull and my setup is a 750 lbs in each rear locker , 300 lbs center ( mls ) and i put a 300 lbs on passenger side , manuel wedge down ,8.5 mph its not a the perfect wave but i can suf no problem ( i'm a 200 lbs guys )