Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25LSV boat lift capacity

ChainSetter

So I'm moving through the process of finding a new boat.  At this point I think it's gonna be a new 25 LSV.  The dry weight is listed at 5600 LBS.  My lift is a 6000 LBS shore station. So with gas and batteries, people, gear, etc. I'm clearly at or over cap.  I don't think I can upgrade the cable and thus capacity as the only bigger lift is the 7000 which is 12 inches wider than mine.  Any thoughts on overloading a SS?  What lifts are you new lucky 25LSV owners using?

Thanks

Wouldn't your crew wait until the boat is lowered, but not launched, before they board?  I'd expect that would make it okay.  You already have the lift, so I'd just try it before you make a change, anyway.

Yes get a 7-8k, a Max 7k is stronger than all the other 8ks I've seen and it's been tested past 9k although not recommended. I threw my 25lsv ony max 7k and it doesn't even struggle or budge and that's with 10 ppl in the boat lifting and full tank of gas. If u look at the extrusion profiles they are double the thickness of a SS one bad thing about round verticals and legs on the SS are that if u are off level they will buckle easily as they have done with numerous G23s on our lake. Also with a Max u don't have a winch tube obstruction to climb over to board rather a wonderful walk on platform that lowers to dock level.  . Also the nax lifts have rollers on the carriage so if u are off level then the carriage does not bind up causing higher loads like a SS. PM me for my email if u want the ultimate setup. Also they have awesome walk on guide ons with vertical bumpers so u don't rip your logos off because yes u actually will hit the rub rail.   With 3 vertical bumpers along side it's impossible to get turned in a way that the guides would ever touch your graphics! !  I like it over the hydraulics on the market because it's still a vertical cable which allows higher lifting heights or travel (generally speaking )and mainly because u don't need as much water depth which is huge for me and especially with my new 25lsv being deeper than my 23. Get a 30ft or 32 ft canopy with supports on front back. My current canopy is 28 which was fine for the 23 but now barely fits since the 25 is little over 27 with platform. there is a new full frontal bow stop with vertical bumpers which is amazing just came out so I've gotta get one. The max is a deep dish canopy and u will need to go with a 30 in or 36in drop. With a 30 in drop it will drop to your rub rail with tower up as u have 27in frame +30-36in drop.  Now that I have a 25 with little taller G4 tower I would order 36in drop to be perfect with the G4. With this u dont have to be one of those goofy people that actully put their boat on the lift then also have to cover it. That's pointless and makes crap moldy! Seems to be 80% of people though.. I do t get it...I  love it as u don't have to put tower down and u get full coverage. Open or close zip up back end is great I leave it open it gets TONS of airflow that way.... and I love that the 25 lsv seats hold up so u can have it all air out.  Their are a ton of features and i like that this lift handles my full 25lsv and 10ppl lifting up to dock height like a toy and it doesnt budge in the wind. I looked at several 8ks last year then saw this and was like forget all the others. Now if u want the ultimate they just came out with a 144in wide! But it's also a triple beam carriage that allows 2 sets of bunks... smaller narrow ones in front longer wider in the back just like a trailer.  And u would NOT have to swing boards inward which is why I'm considering upgrading to that one next yr wit a longer 30 or 32ft canopy.  Pm for more details on the perfect setup for a 25lsv 

Edited by The Hulk
34 minutes ago, ChainSetter said:

So I'm moving through the process of finding a new boat.  At this point I think it's gonna be a new 25 LSV.  The dry weight is listed at 5600 LBS.  My lift is a 6000 LBS shore station. So with gas and batteries, people, gear, etc. I'm clearly at or over cap.  I don't think I can upgrade the cable and thus capacity as the only bigger lift is the 7000 which is 12 inches wider than mine.  Any thoughts on overloading a SS?  What lifts are you new lucky 25LSV owners using?

Thanks

77 gals of gas + gear and ppl. So at min u will be 6500-7k weight very easily. Oh and if u forget to empty a hard tank or two... whoops... and 10ppl... whoops. Haha can't say that wasn't me yesterday when they rain came... whistle. ...

SS 6k is 122 the SS 7k is like 132 the max is 122 still with plenty of room on sides. Unless u go to their 144. It's up to u if u have the width in your slip ir area. To me the other side of my dock is no longer deep enough to pull the boat over and load 10-19 people in it without hitting bottom let alone a PIA. Im constantly reminded of the extra depth this beast requires. Let alone with a lot of ppl its even more and if u have or get a 2017 model it will be another 3-4 in depth over the 2016 models. Dont be fooled with one or 2 ppl u will be 3ft water depth with your prop on ground in a 2017. My lift side if dock is slightly deeper so being able to load ppl on and off via lift is a huge plus and not to mention granny sometimes comes out so not having to climb over the winch tube and down to the bunk is a huge plus... just walk on when platform walk on is level with the step/dock. 

Edited by The Hulk

Hulk is definitely the man to ask on this one but let me just share my experience this past year and take from it what you like

I had a different boat before the G23.  The weight was 4700 pounds dry.  Fuel, gear, etc I would estimate at mid 5000s.  Well anyways, I had a 6000 lb capacity great lakes lift.  2 years old and about 1 month into the season, I was lowering her down and BOOM!  Cable snap!  The lift guy came out and put on a new cable ASAP and the first lift up.  BOOM!  Snap again.  I understand that something was probably wrong with the lift but the point is to never skimp or push the limits of these lifts.  They are made by human hands and if there is a miscalculation somewhere you could be flirting with disaster.  Someone could get hurt or killed.

I upgraded to a 8000 lb capacity FLOE and I am super happy with it.  Whisper quiet, very efficient and it has legs that adjust independently outside of the lift with a  cordless drill.  The thing really is sweet.  

I would say at least 7000 lb capacity and to feel nice and warm inside, I would go with 8000 just to be safe.  

You should have no problem selling your shorestation.  These things go like hot cakes on Craigslist in spring time.  Hold onto until then if you need to.  Also, boat shows are actually good times to buy lifts.  Usually 10-15% off around that time.  Horrible time to buy a boat though!  So don't buy your LSV then!!!!

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 3

Best time to buy a lift and boat is now.. pricing all goes up at beginning of the year. 

The floe is the only other I would possibly consider.

If u have a good lift setup it will make your boating a million times better.

Larger lifts require bigger diameter cables. And not all lift mfgs use larger diameter pulleys so they bend too sharp and the winch spool drums are too small so snap! Bama is correct dont mess with lift they can and will kill someone easily. Again why nobody should ever be between the dock and winch tube or whatever at any point or your leg could easily be cut off if in wrong spit. Always assume it could break and make sure your in a non dangerous spot if it did. 

A SS is not bad but u will also have to pay for less and also add 1500-2k canopy drops so as not to also have to cover the boat and they are add on so not as nice IMO. 

Floe is generally the most expensive. And has been consider upper echelon  MAX is currently buying market share so u get a ton for the money. One down side to a max is that they are so sturdy and thick extrusion that they are a bit heavier there are easy solutions to this though for 2-4 ppl to put it in and take it out. (Secrets) or if u have a barge/ dock place do it don't worry about it.. 

Hewitt Has their wake boat barn lookin canopy but it actually does not provide that much coverage because the pitch of the peak is too much angle so yes you get an extra space in the middle but the towers are almost as wide as the boat at the top so you will hit the pitch before you get up for coverage. my neighbor has one he has far less coverage than I do. I like it when my boat is several feet out of the water to where not even my wave could touch the prop. 

Bottom line don't spend 100-200k on a boat then skimp on a few grand for the perfect boat lift setup regardless of lift brand. I shake my head so much on this topic like my neighbor who refuse to pay $400 for the correct bumper guides and I told him he would rip off his logo so the first time he pulls in he rips off his logo and I asked him how much that was and I think he said it was like 800 or $900 on his G. He then purchased the bumpers.. 

I also hate it when people pull into their lives and it's like all hands on deck watch out!!! I have mine set up like bumper cars just come in and bump around into position it's wife proof.. 

And if you have any dock company or dock guys install it absolutely do not let them lift up the boat until you get under there with goggles and make sure if your bunks are not higher than your fins that you're not about to lift the boat on the fans or the shaft and that you have it positioned in the correct spot or you will ruin your boat. If you have enough water depth I would recommend having your bunks high enough that your friends can clear the carriage if you do not have enough water. Then you need to be careful on this as the front to back position can make a big difference anyhow just giving some advice if you will be setting it up yourself and also to overlook anybody with your new boat setting it up.. because I can guess with about one hundred percent certainty that the people setting it up don't own one of these boats

Edited by The Hulk

Yes u can still get 2016 price. . 2017 show price is always higher they just Mark up retail and make you think you're getting a boat show special.. however I assure you that 2017 dealer price is higher. Also most dealers right now have a lot of time on their hands and are cash-strapped until removals so you will probably get an even better deal right now... but if you do decide to wait then definitely buy at the boat show but what I have found in the boat lift and dock industry is that the boat show price is just the normal price I have yet to find one place that will not honor the boat show price in spring or summer.. maybe this is different elsewhere but I can assure you this is probably how it is for 80% or more of the market. But if you make a deposit at a book show they might throw in some other freebies like setup and installation assuming you give them a deposit because again they are cash-strapped during the winter.

Oh and did I mention how much a PIA boat lifts are!! 

So thanks for the info.  I would much rather not have to change lifts.  It may very well dictate my boat decision.  There are a lot of issues at my lake that make this a bigger PIA than usual.  I did call SS today and talked to them about it.  They wouldn't tell me it was ok to overload it (no surprise).  The guy did tell me that the 7K boat lift is the same diameter as my 6K and interestingly use the exact same steel cable.  The only difference with 7K is the length of the lift.  I said obviously I wouldn't hold him to anything he said but he wouldn't say it's ok to overload it.  He did say that if this was 20 years ago he might tell me it was ok.  We never lift or lower with people on the boat so at most I'm going to be around 500 lbs over capacity.  It's hard to think that SS made a lift that would fail just over the stated capacity?  I was hoping to give it a try but now I'm not sure.  Kinda feel like The Hulk sells Max lifts.  Anyone else out there pushing lift capacity?

If your current lift is a 6000 pound cantilever lift I say go ahead and use it - BUT make sure the lift is resting evenly on all 4 corners, the pulley bushings are in good shape, the cable is new, and the winch real spools the cable in neatly. That last point may be the most important. You may need to reposition the 3rd pulley. Inspect the cable often. The lifts are over engineered to compensate for bad installation and inadequate maintenance - which is common.

If it's a vertical 4 cable lift, then I'm not sure they are as over engineered.

Enjoy the new boat, whatever it is!

its not a cantilever. It's the 4 post with cradle. It has the one main beam on the left side that houses the cable and those wheels.  Then another cable on the other side that levels the rack but is stationary.

thanks

Dude you're buying a 100k boat and I feel like you are trying to justify to yourself cheaping out on the lift.  Your current lift is undersized. You know it is undersized.  I've been there.  But trust me....Get a bigger lift.  

I know hulk personality and he is nothing but a great guy.  I'm sure he was just trying to help.  

No one cares what brand of lift you get as long as it heavy duty enough.  

The recommendations are to get a lift where boat doesn't exceed 85% capacity.  I would follow that. 

Edited by bamaboy

I called my brother, he owns a company that sells docks/lifts ...  he might be able to get a good deal on a 7k lb. lift, and his distributor is out of the West Burbs of Milwaukee, so not too far from you. 

What would you sell your 6k lift for ?... I have been considering upping my 5k for our 23' LSV.

My brother said a 7k lb. Shorestation w/ electric drive + 30' canopy + vinyl for canopy + delivery figure close to $13,000 + tax .  Just to price check your local dealers... if you were interested he could probably get you an exact number, he might be able to shave some $$$ for calling an end of year something.

or he suggested hydraulic lifts, but expect that to maybe be like 20-25% higher for the lift itself (canopy costs stay the same).

Edited by sidekicknicholas
21 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

its not a cantilever. It's the 4 post with cradle. It has the one main beam on the left side that houses the cable and those wheels.  Then another cable on the other side that levels the rack but is stationary.

thanks

They're all 4 post. They all have cradles. Vertical lift straight up. Cantilever lift up and forward.

I don't sell max lifts, but I am extremely picky when it comes to lifts because I see and hear everything about every lift. When I put my 150k boat on a lift it has to be perfect. Yes I'm they guy that gets out a laser level so I can be the only one In the "#levelboatliftclub". 

the main reasons I went with a max is 1. Carriage rollers.. huge stress relief if NOT level. 2. Walk on guide ons. 3. Way thicker aluminum 4. Deep dish canopy with extended drop no lowering tower or covering  boat while on lift. 5. Track system on guides to position and slide bumpers in correct spot for your boat. 6. Drill enabled canopy tightenin system  to make canopy tight/loose etc.

I do like flow but I'm not as big of  fan if the limited adjustments or bumpers for their guides.. 

Hewitt are nice but not a fan of canopy.and some other things

SS is nice but hate that there are no carriage rollers and winch tube in the way of boarding and not a fan of non deep dish canopy so with extended sides they just flap in the wind and are an ugly add on. 

They are all good but I don't want just good for my expensive beast. I want perfect. If I wanted just good I would have bought a moomba. :) anyhow just giving my observations since I'm OCD about lifts. just saying dont spend 100k + on boats and cringe at a few grand on a awesome lift setup. That seems to be a BIG regret amongst several of my friends with tilted lifts broken cables pulling boats out... covering them when they are actually on a lift etc.. 

All I'm saying is max is the only lift mfg doing some innovative things for wake boats. If u saw one u would say hmmm.. not to mention they are cheaper "currently". 

FYI I'll be selling my pimp daddy setup at end of seasin its perfect for anyone with a 23lsv or shorter. Wireless, 7500, 30w-24v solar system, 28ft canopy zip up back, guides, bow stop, lighting system..etc..have pics if u have not seen previous posts.. 

I pan to upgrade to the wider one with a 30 or 32 ft canopy in a different color for my new 25lsv PM me if anyone is interested. 

Sorry im just OCD about the perfect lift setups!  Haha