Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water flow low alarm

I'm looking for some help clearing this alarm and resolving this issue.  I have a 2016 wakesetter 23 LSV with the 6.2L Raptor engine.  I'm getting an alarm for Raw Water Flow Low...code SPN:110 FMI:1.

Engine Temp has not gotten over 164 degrees and Engine Coolant Temp has stayed under 164 as well while running even after alarm.  You can see the water flowing through the system while running and there is no sign of an overheat.

Here is what I have done so far to trouble shoot yet the alarm is still triggering every 5 minutes while running.  

• Inspected the intake under the hull for debris...All Clear
  • Removed the strainer and screen in the intake line and cleared out some minor debris.  Screen is intact with no sign of damage to it.
  • Checked the impeller and it looks fine. It is cool to touch while engine is running so water is clearly flowing through it.
  • Removed the intake hose from the water pump and it seems clear
  • Removed the inline water flow sensor on the intake line...the paddle wheel was clear of any debris.
  • Disconnected the water flow sensor while running and alarm still triggered
  • Hooked the boat up to the hose and ran it in the driveway and water was flowing through the manifolds and out of the exhaust. Hard to gauge flow since it was just a hose but system was working.

Is there anything that I have overlooked mechanically?  Otherwise, should I assume it is a faulty sensor or an issue with the computer?  Is there another sensor that I am not seeing? Any suggests on a resolution short of taking it to the dealer which is 2 hours away from me?  Last resort will be to take in...

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you have checked everything pretty carefully. Sounds like it may be a sensor issue. If there was a real cooling issue the code would be different and you would see high temp on the dashboard gauge. other than the alarm, the flow sensor should not limit the engine rpm or prevent the engine from operating.

• 5 weeks later...

Did you ever get this problem solved?  I would be interested to know how you solved it. 

I am having this this same issue, and Malibu told me this about the problem:

There is a waterflow sensor near the water pump on the suction side, located on the stbd side of the engine and kind of under the oil filter/cooler.  If you are getting this code, then a couple things to check are to make sure all the hose clamps are tight in the intake circuit and the strainer cap is tight and not leaking air into the system.  The last thing to check is the flow sensor, it is possible that the sensor (which is a paddlewheel) has some trash in it or is failing.

Greg Garner 

2016 VTX 20

Greg-

I ended up having to take it back to the dealer and they just replaced the sensor under warranty.  One last thing I would do in addition to the above is to hook an Ohm Meter up to the sensor and see if you are getting resistance etc.  He did say it is pretty sensitive and flow below 16 gallons per hour or so will trigger the sensor.  Given the sensitivity any air leaks or leave blockage in the strainer could trigger it.  Also if you remove the sensor be careful when you replace, the paddlewheel needs to be facing in the right direction.  

Jim

• 5 years later...

Does any one know if the arrow on the sensor should be facing the direction the water is flowing or against the direction the water is flowing?

Additionally, any one have any insight on how often these sensors fail?

IMG_7019.thumb.JPEG.e4187a80666f86e21002d609f225d8ef.JPEGIMG_7020.thumb.JPEG.1dc0c468c6273a0eb55b21a8d086d991.JPEG

Pretty obvious by the shape of the paddlewheel as to which way it goes. The cupped side points at the inlet.  (I'd assume the arrow shows flow direction)

Edited by oldjeep
34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Pretty obvious by the shape of the paddlewheel as to which way it goes. The cupped side points at the inlet.  (I'd assume the arrow shows flow direction)

You know what assuming does though....

15 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

You know what assuming does though....

Doesn't really matter what the arrow means when the flow direction is obvious from the paddle.  Out of curiosity - which way is the arrow pointing?

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Doesn't really matter what the arrow means when the flow direction is obvious from the paddle.  Out of curiosity - which way is the arrow pointing?

Hopefully toward the thumb in the photo....

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a tech at Bakes Marine regarding this issue- turns out this was a epic fail by Malibu/Monsoon. This raw water sensor was a massive failure resulting in them updating the actual programming to completely circumvent/disregard this sensor. They dont even produce this sensor anymore as the new programing makes it completely obsolete. Unfortunately, the only fix is you have to take your boat to an authorized dealer to have the programming updated to void this sensor and they will charge you 1/2 hour of labor to do so... they cant just send you a flash drive :(

I can't imagine ever having a problem with a flow sensor with a closed-cooled engine.

I can't imagine ever trying to use one of those sensors on a raw water cooled engine.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:24 AM, TC_2006_VLX said:

I spoke with a tech at Bakes Marine regarding this issue- turns out this was a epic fail by Malibu/Monsoon. This raw water sensor was a massive failure resulting in them updating the actual programming to completely circumvent/disregard this sensor. They dont even produce this sensor anymore as the new programing makes it completely obsolete. Unfortunately, the only fix is you have to take your boat to an authorized dealer to have the programming updated to void this sensor and they will charge you 1/2 hour of labor to do so... they cant just send you a flash drive :(

Since the engine and flow sensor were designed and implemented by Indmar and only used for a single model year in Malibu boats, I would have to say it is more of a fail by Indmar, not Malibu, and it is very far from epic.  The flow sensor was an idea Indmar came up with to warn the boat operator if there was a low amount of sea water flow prior to the problem causing exhaust damage or over heating the closed cooling system.  Mercruiser did something similar using a pressure sensor for the last two decades.  Prior to the Raptor engines, Indmar had nothing to warn your average boat operator that there wasn't enough seawater being pumped into the exhaust and cooling system, other than the smell of burning hoses.

In 2017, Indmar switched to skin temperature sensors on the exhaust pipes as a warning for low sea water flow in a way very similar to how Volvo Penta and Pleasure Craft did it for over 20 years, and how Malibu engines currently do it.  It is still not fool proof, as shown by a manufacturing defect with some skin sensors in 2017 that caused fault alarms in Indmar and Volvo products.  I changed out quite a few of them back then.

The ECM can't be reprogrammed with a thumb drive.  Rinda Diacom software and a dealer authorized Rinda cable must be used to prevent layman from completely bricking the ECM in a failed programming attempt.  If your dealer is only charging a half hour of labor to reprogram your ECM, and your need it done, go for it.  I wouldn't think twice about quoting you twice that labor time to do it.

17 hours ago, csleaver said:

Since the engine and flow sensor were designed and implemented by Indmar and only used for a single model year in Malibu boats, I would have to say it is more of a fail by Indmar, not Malibu, and it is very far from epic.  The flow sensor was an idea Indmar came up with to warn the boat operator if there was a low amount of sea water flow prior to the problem causing exhaust damage or over heating the closed cooling system.  Mercruiser did something similar using a pressure sensor for the last two decades.  Prior to the Raptor engines, Indmar had nothing to warn your average boat operator that there wasn't enough seawater being pumped into the exhaust and cooling system, other than the smell of burning hoses.

In 2017, Indmar switched to skin temperature sensors on the exhaust pipes as a warning for low sea water flow in a way very similar to how Volvo Penta and Pleasure Craft did it for over 20 years, and how Malibu engines currently do it.  It is still not fool proof, as shown by a manufacturing defect with some skin sensors in 2017 that caused fault alarms in Indmar and Volvo products.  I changed out quite a few of them back then.

The ECM can't be reprogrammed with a thumb drive.  Rinda Diacom software and a dealer authorized Rinda cable must be used to prevent layman from completely bricking the ECM in a failed programming attempt.  If your dealer is only charging a half hour of labor to reprogram your ECM, and your need it done, go for it.  I wouldn't think twice about quoting you twice that labor time to do it.

How much actual time would it take for you to hook up your Rinda DIacom and do the reprogram?

Still blows my mind that Malibu takes 0 accountability for this issue even though it is a acknowledged wide spread issue for this year. I get that the dealers dont want to get stuck with the cost, but I know companys like John Deere set aside allowances for known manufacture defects such as this.

Edited by TC_2006_VLX
1 hour ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

How much actual time would it take for you to hook up your Rinda DIacom and do the reprogram?

Still blows my mind that Malibu takes 0 accountability for this issue even though it is a acknowledged wide spread issue for this year. I get that the dealers dont want to get stuck with the cost, but I know companys like John Deere set aside allowances for known manufacture defects such as this.

Perhaps that is exactly what your dealer is doing by offering to do it for a half hour labor charge.  I sure wouldn't want to flash your ECM and send you on your way without running the engine until is was warm, or maybe even take it for a water test.

I'd feel.pretty good about the 1/2 hour.  After years of trying to figure out an intermittent misfire error I talked to Larry at indmar and found out there was a software update to fix an overly sensitive misfire detection.  It was worth every penny of the hour I paid to get rid of that stupid intermittent alarm.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

@TC_2006_VLX

I think you would be in for a big surprise if John Deere made the powertrain in your boat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en/article/dyp7xk/john-deere-blows-off-shareholders-asking-about-right-to-repair

You mean aside from opening the hood and seeing that green color....

14 minutes ago, justgary said:

You mean aside from opening the hood and seeing that green color....

I don't think you are allowed to open the hood on a John Deere unless you are a factory authorized technician.

9 hours ago, csleaver said:

I don't think you are allowed to open the hood on a John Deere unless you are a factory authorized technician.

Could be, but the salesman is authorized to open the hood and show it off before you buy the boat.