Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Response almost sank

CinnamonGirl

Help!  Managed to beach boat before it sank, bilge pump worked.  Once I get it on the trailer, what next?  Is it more important to get a mechanic working on it now or wait until I'm sure I've got a qualified marine mechanic in the coming days?

need a lot more info.

It could be a number of things. Have you checked to see if one of the hoses on your motor came loose? Or a bad prop shaft seal? or a ballast pump came loose? 

What time frame are you talking?   As said need a lot more detail !  It could be so simple a screwdriver and a minute of putting a hose and clamp back on?

Thank you all.  Just returned from mechanic.  Yes, engine was submerged at least 2/3 and I wasn't sure I would find anyone to help with it this soon.  There was water in the oil.  He drained it, got it running without the plugs, put it back together and ran it for 15 minutes.  Will need to change the oil again and probably will need a new starter at some point.  Really happy since I just bought this boat and it only has 350 hours on it.  

My remaining questions are: 1) what are long  term effects?  Should we replace more than the starter?; and 2) the boat went under because an inexperienced driver jerked back on the throttle a..s a small roller approached and subsequently came over the bow with 2 adults sitting there.  Driver panicked and accelerated.  Immediately water came over the back on one side.  Couldn't believe how fast it started sinking.  This is my first open bow tournament ski boat and never imagined from all my years driving closed bow mastercrafts, nautiques, ski supremes, etc., that this could happen.  So, I guess no large adults in the bow???  Thanks again for sharing with me.