Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiberglass Swim Platform and Suntan oil

Does anyone else have this problem?

My wife and I were hanging out on the platform trying to get out of the heat this weekend. When she stood up, the entire back side of her leg was black. It appears the rubber on the swim platform reacts with suntan lotion. Thank GOD I noticed this before she sat down on the seats. I have noticed my hands being black while being around the boat before but never knew what it was from, but is obviously from the platform. I washed it down with dish soap but it really doesn't appear to make an difference.

I noticed this quite a bit when new. Early this year I sealed the whole thing with 303. It did not keep the color the deep black, which was my original intent, but the problem of the black comeing off has vanished. Not sure if this is use or the 303, but whatever happened I have no problem with this anymore.

mine has done this since day one and 700 hours later. i thought I was just having some bad luck that was related to dirt grime, exhaust but I was obviously wrong. Do you think malibu will still waranty this even though the boat is an 04. I am tired of having my shorts with black dust, my wifes shorts and every other thing that gets off the swim step.

Does anyone else have this problem?

My wife and I were hanging out on the platform trying to get out of the heat this weekend. When she stood up, the entire back side of her leg was black. It appears the rubber on the swim platform reacts with suntan lotion. Thank GOD I noticed this before she sat down on the seats. I have noticed my hands being black while being around the boat before but never knew what it was from, but is obviously from the platform. I washed it down with dish soap but it really doesn't appear to make an difference.

We just put our newly purchased 05 Vride in the water this weekend, and it was one of the first things that I noticed. I'm always watching for dirty feet / scuff marks etc... and I'm always wiping down the vinyl. I was going to start a thread "Fiberglass vs. Teak?" I like the look of the Fiberglass, but I gotta say we never had this issue with our 97 RLX and the teak...

footprint-cut-out.jpg

I washed, and 303'd the ski platform 3 time before this weekend's outing. We had people in and out of the boat all weekend with no additional problems. It appears that 303 does the trick. The rag I used to remove the 303 certainly was black even after the third application. I will continue to monitor the situation.

My dealer is suppose to be dealing with the warranty info. starting today. Lets see how long it takes to get the replacement adhesive for the platform.

Fiberglass Swimstep Thread from a long time ago.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

(makes me love my teak) Biggrin.gif

Get the classic look. Teak is the only way to go.

Somehow putting a coat or two of 303 sounds a bit easier than sanding and shalacking a couple times of year. Sure they look great (for about a day). Biggrin.gif