Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My 2012 A22 has so much more room than the 2016

vanamp

We have been demoing a bunch of boats as we decide what our next boat will be (this process will take a season or two).  We have a 2012 A22 and were riding in what we thought was a 2016 A20 on our way to meet a T23 to demo and when the guy told us it was an A22 my wife and I did a double take.  What the hell happened to the cabin space in the A22?  Where did it go? 

We always say since our first boat was a 22 we could never go smaller and we felt like the A22 was smaller. 

On a side note. We we had a lot of fun behind the T23 but are noticing that the surf gate waves are really flat and it might be a deal breaker for us. 

ahopkins22LSV

I have never been in a pre 2015 A22 but the cabin space does seem less then my friends T22. I think the newer A22's have the helm moved back o crest the MASSIVELY bow. 

What weight were you running in the 23? It's a massive boat. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I have never been in a pre 2015 A22 but the cabin space does seem less then my friends T22. I think the newer A22's have the helm moved back o crest the MASSIVELY bow. 

What weight were you running in the 23? It's a massive boat. 

Stock tanks and pnp bags full plus 5 people.  Wave was super fun and long with plenty of push but really mellow and flat.  like my fake gate A22 wave but better. 

We we want to find a wave that is a little steeper and see how we like it. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, vanamp said:

Stock tanks and pnp bags full plus 5 people.  Wave was super fun and long with plenty of push but really mellow and flat.  like my fake gate A22 wave but better. 

We we want to find a wave that is a little steeper and see how we like it. 

Maybe try to demo it again but not fill the bow ballast?

Was the wedge down? I find I don't use the wedge much anymore because it makes the wave so steep/tall, granted I have a T22 but it's got to be similar. I like the more mellow wave I guess but my whole first season with the boat I used the wedge, now this summer I may have only used the wedge once while surfing.

Wedge was down and wave was big just not much of lip until you drop back pretty far.   That being said T23 is still at the top of our list and we will demo again before we buy  

My my wife and I were in a contest behind a centurion and the wave was VERY steep.  I felt like a newbie on it and on my skim runs were terrible.  Obviously the boat was a lot more expensive then an Axis but we are hoping to get a wave that is somewhere between our flat DIY hate wave and the super steep centurion. 

In my 2016 23 lsv and my friends 2017 23 lsv, we both have large surf waves with weight even without the wedge down, but we all like the wave much better with the wedge around 2-4 clicks below stow. The wave looks very similiar with and without the wedge, but it is a lot better with the wedge.

Edited by bbattiste247
Minor errors

We will be demoing a ton of boats before we buy (probably multiple times).  Our A22 was our first boat and we did not know a ton about inboards.  Now that we know exactly what we like and don't like we are going to demo everything and pick the best one for us.  As of right now the A22 is off the list because it feels way smaller than our A22 and if all that space went to the bow its wasted space 95% of the time for us.