Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle Control / Error Codes

2012 Malibu Response TXI. Was away from the boat for a couple of weeks.  Started the boat and immediately pulled a code  and the service engine alarm.  Checked the codes 1 inactive SPN 29 FMI 3 OC 48 "Voltage short or above normal rng"  I though it might be the battery as the last rime I ran the boat I left the radio on for a while and it was pretty drained so I started boat and took it for a spin before putting it away.  Thinking that might be the issue I charged the battery and even tried a new one.  Now I'm pulling a second inactive code: SPN 91 FMI 16 OC 4 "Data valid but above normal rng"

I have done a little research and found that this may be a throttle body and/or throttle control issue.  I do not have a local dealer, but contacted one several hours away to see if I can get in.  I also verified that they do not stock the ZF throttle control parts.  So... If I bring to dealer, I am out for a week+ until they diagnose, then another week plus for parts to come in, etc.. 

Anyone else had this issue? More importantly, anyone know where I might be able to find the throttle assembly.  If I can find it and replace it, I am only out the $ and not missing essentially the rest of our already short summer.

Edited by STX22

Diagnostic manual is here.  Your codes both relate to the pedal position sensor(s) and point to the one on the shifter.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/Indmar_09-10ECMmanualv1.2.pdf

The sensor is actually replaceable on the shifter - it unscrews from the back of the shifter assembly (you would have to remove it).  The part number should be on it, the spare I have says 503-06656 (which is off an older skicommand throttle)

Now a google search doesn't find any but I'd suspect some talk with a dealer or email to ZF might find a source

You can typically buy the complete ski command controls online, ebay, greatlakesskipper.com etc.  Be prepared for the sticker shock.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-zf-marine-ski1000-7-skicommand-1000-boat-single-handle-side-mount-shift-by-wire-control

WP_20160812_10_39_55_Pro.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks Chief! Do you know of the ZF throttle assembly has the same location for the pedal position sensor?  Ie... is the Zf Pedal position sensor replaceable?  I may be mistaken, but I have read on here that the "fix" is replacing the whole unit.   

This, although not my throttle, is what it looks like.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-zf-marine-ski1000-7-skicommand-1000-boat-single-handle-side-mount-shift-by-wire-control

7 minutes ago, STX22 said:

Thanks Chief! Do you know of the ZF throttle assembly has the same location for the pedal position sensor?  Ie... is the Zf Pedal position sensor replaceable?  I may be mistaken, but I have read on here that the "fix" is replacing the whole unit.   

This, although not my throttle, is what it looks like.

The picture I posted is the pedal position sensor removed from a ZF throttle like you have.  I bought a complete busted Ski Command so that I could have a couple common failure parts on hand

Not sure where you could get just the part, but you could roll the dice on one of these and hope the PPS is OK (this is an earlier version that has the neutral button at the pivot - but the PPS should be the same)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boat-Electric-ZF-Shifter-NON-WORKING-PARTS-ONLY-/282100122785?hash=item41ae7a44a1:g:Kp4AAOSw3xJVXjBX&vxp=mtr

If you were nearby I'd let you try out my spare.

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, STX22 said:

The $500 question... Is that control: http://greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-zf-marine-ski1000-7-skicommand-1000-boat-single-handle-side-mount-shift-by-wire-control

compatible with my 2012 Response?  Looks like that is the only failsafe route I can go without losing to much of what is left of our summer. 

Is that what yours looks like?  Should be a manual for your throttle in with your boat documentation that tells you what you have.  I can tell you that one would work with my 2012 VTX

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can find that sensor for sale on ebay.   The ebay link is below in my next post.  

Edited by CLT
added link to ebay
  • 3 months later...

Stx 22... I have exactly the same issue on my 2012 Malibu Response TXI. Did replacing the throttle sensor solve this problem. I have had this intermittent problem for a year now.

Guys - In doing research on that sensor, I believe I found a generic replacement.  It is a Dorman part number 699-207.  It was used in Chevy 3500 series trucks in the late 90's/early 2000's.  You can get them at Napa or Rock auto.  Hope this helps.  Just be careful, that throttle is all plastic so take your time when you open it up.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/8/2018 at 7:14 AM, Still Skiin' at 55 said:

Guys - In doing research on that sensor, I believe I found a generic replacement.  It is a Dorman part number 699-207.  It was used in Chevy 3500 series trucks in the late 90's/early 2000's.  You can get them at Napa or Rock auto.  Hope this helps.  Just be careful, that throttle is all plastic so take your time when you open it up.

Not to dig up an old thread but I just wanted to confirm that the Dorman part does work to replace the stock part. I would also recommend against Napa as they were around $180 more than most sources of this part. 

I got the same service error and codes on the first startup of the year. Replaced it with the Dorman and everything is good now. With tax it was about $73.

22 hours ago, agent462 said:

Not to dig up an old thread but I just wanted to confirm that the Dorman part does work to replace the stock part. I would also recommend against Napa as they were around $180 more than most sources of this part. 

I got the same service error and codes on the first startup of the year. Replaced it with the Dorman and everything is good now. With tax it was about $73.

Nice.  If you are not in a hurry there are several MFG of that part, rock auto sells them from $23 for the ultra power , $60 for the dorman and 90 for the Standard brand

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=699207

• 10 months later...

Hi

Had a similar problem with 2012 response txi and found the the fault to be the position sensor as indicated in previous post, I had replaced the pot which cleared the fault for a couple of months but then the fault re occurred , If you are able to get access to the diacom program you can see the voltage levels at the TPPS, mine was floating between 4.8 and 4.81, because it was over  4.8 volts it would set the fault code. If you loosen the 2 hex screw on the back of the the throttle body where the pot is attached and twist it slightly, there are some locating pins which prevent this from moving but by applying a small amount of pressure and then tightening the hex screws you can bring the tpps voltage to below 4.8 at idle, mine now sits at 4.78 and has not faulted since. May not be everyone’s answer to the problem  but mine has been ok for a couple of years now.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, Watchurst said:

Stx 22... I have exactly the same issue on my 2012 Malibu Response TXI. Did replacing the throttle sensor solve this problem. I have had this intermittent problem for a year now.

Hi STX

read my post below , sounds like you have had the same problem I had with my 2012 txi, Where the tpps pot is attached to the back of the throttle lever just loosen the hex screws slightly on the pot and twist the pot on the back a smidgen to change the position just slightly against the throttle lever in idle position., tighten the screws under pressure to retain the position. It is located with pins but only needs the slightest adjustment to bring the voltage a tad below 4.8 volts, may work for you unless your pot is way out. 

3 Start cycles will normally clear the fault