Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Monsoon 340 Changing Distributor Cap/rotor & Plugs

Hey fellas, I just recently changed the distributor cap/rotor and plugs I wanted to take some notes on the numbering of the locations to help anyone in the future. I also had a question...

I ordered the parts from bakes, the sparkplug wires they sent me were really nice however the #8 wire was about .5" longer that the stock. Will this cause me a problem on the water?

Here are the pics, I noticed that the original cap had aluminum terminals when we pulled it the underside was FULL of corrosion. It was literally pouring into the hull as I pulled it off. The new Distributor has either brass or copper terminals I also noticed the rotor had a larger plastic housing with two terminals that touch the spinning base vs the old one only having one.

Old aluminum term Distributor cap

28971077-DE39-499A-A5CA-7CCF689E9FA7_zps

Old rotor, you can see all of the corrosion on the bottom housing of the distributor plate. Looks like a greenish salt.

E462C712-E60F-4793-A7BD-74CDE2251B55_zps

FCDB2060-9BD8-47AA-BA76-3663102FDB83_zps

367CF9E8-08BA-4849-8FAF-B85115033AB1_zps

695C1884-31B6-4FED-848B-A5F634937C39_zps

Nice write up.  I too changed my cap, rotor and plugs just last week on my '04 Monsoon 340.  The cap I removed had aluminum contacts which were also corroded and I found the same "corrosion dust" on the bottom plate.  The new cap I ordered from Skidim came with brass terminals.  Hope it holds up better.

Just now, coldwater-echelon said:

Nice write up.  I too changed my cap, rotor and plugs just last week on my '04 Monsoon 340.  The cap I removed had aluminum contacts which were also corroded and I found the same "corrosion dust" on the bottom plate.  The new cap I ordered from Skidim came with brass terminals.  Hope it holds up better.

Thanks, did you change yours just because of maintenance or were you having issues?

Just now, coldwater-echelon said:

I am nearing 500 hours and just going through things for preventative maintenance.

Right on, we are around 700hrs. We just got our boat not too long ago and it started bogging/misfiring after riding for 15 min straight at about 28-35mph (our short ride when we are done for the day back to the launch). Changed the impeller, fuel pump, fuel filter, now these... Hoping this is the culprit.

• Like 1

Great documentation!! I scrapped my cap and rotor clean at 200 hours and then changed it at 300 hours and saw a significant increase in performance. Thanks for posting

10 minutes ago, jdeltoro said:

Right on, we are around 700hrs. We just got our boat not too long ago and it started bogging/misfiring after riding for 15 min straight at about 28-35mph (our short ride when we are done for the day back to the launch). Changed the impeller, fuel pump, fuel filter, now these... Hoping this is the culprit.

Yeah, I bought the boat ('04 Sunscape 21) last fall and didn't run it much.  I just sold my Echelon LX so the Sunscape is now getting more use.  I'm doing the same parts change outs as you just to make sure I don't have any trouble.  Cheap and easy insurance.