Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's Still Wakeboarding?

abattle10

1 hour ago, Fman said:

1200 hours in 3.5 seasons, that is legit! :rockon:  I dont think I have 1200 hours on my boats in the past 9 years of ownership.  If we can get 80-100 in a season I feel like we are doing pretty good!

Couldn't believe that our 2010 we got in June of '14 only had 86 hours on it... Have put two hundred hours on it since though :thumbup: which is the same amount as we put on my dad's I/O over the course of 10 years!

• Like 1

On your frontroll, you are leaning over on your approach. Stand up tall, roll your shoulders back, and point your chest to the sky. On initiating the roll, stomp your front foot off the top of the wake. Don't come out of the rotation too soon. You need to land on your toes. It's really hard to over rotate one. If you don't have a scarecrow, it's way easier. Like mentioned, front roll is actually a much more difficult trick.

I wakeboard exclusively.  What I'm working on depdends on the week. Been very close on this one for weeks, put it down on film Monday.

Edited by Brian Young
1 hour ago, Fman said:

1200 hours in 3.5 seasons, that is legit! :rockon:  I dont think I have 1200 hours on my boats in the past 9 years of ownership.  If we can get 80-100 in a season I feel like we are doing pretty good!

Yes we average about 350 to 400 hours a year, son and daughter-in-law compete wake surfing so lots of practice. I love the wake boarding. Will be looking out for a replacement boat sometime within the next 12 to 18 months. Thanks! ?

Thankfully I haven't touched the surf board once this year.  Trying 3's, backside 1's and the tantrum.  Occasionally try and throw the toeside front roll, but I have no idea really how to go about getting around.  We also are working towards the raley by practicing with a wakeskate.  Love to see the passion for wakeboarding in this thread.

• Like 1

my whole family is 100% wakebaord. We find surfing boring(for now i am sure that will change). New tricks? swtich, i am terrible at switch. Oh and raleys, I can stomp them at the cable park like you wouldn't believe, just trying to convince myself that i can behind the baot. 

22 hours ago, Brian Young said:

On your frontroll, you are leaning over on your approach. Stand up tall, roll your shoulders back, and point your chest to the sky. On initiating the roll, stomp your front foot off the top of the wake. Don't come out of the rotation too soon. You need to land on your toes. It's really hard to over rotate one. If you don't have a scarecrow, it's way easier. Like mentioned, front roll is actually a much more difficult trick.

I wakeboard exclusively.  What I'm working on depdends on the week. Been very close on this one for weeks, put it down on film Monday.

Thanks for the help. On the approach can I still be leaning away from the boat to pick up speed? And if I'm not mistaken, the scarecrow is just the front roll with a 180 thrown in? Instead of releasing my back hand during the front roll rotation should I just release the front hand when I'm part way through the invert? 

Nice video and nice riding! What are you filming with?

3 hours ago, abattle10 said:

Thanks for the help. On the approach can I still be leaning away from the boat to pick up speed? And if I'm not mistaken, the scarecrow is just the front roll with a 180 thrown in? Instead of releasing my back hand during the front roll rotation should I just release the front hand when I'm part way through the invert? 

Nice video and nice riding! What are you filming with?

You want to lean down the rope, not bend toward the wake. Look at the body position I have in the beginning of the video, as a front roll is the base invert. Swing out wide, set your body position as you glide in between switching edges. Make sure you get your front foot toe side edge set, prior to your approach. You want a considerably more weight on ball of your leading foot to get that toe side edge locked in. Don't come in rear foot heavy, hoping a wheelie on your board. You don't need speed to create pop. Line tension and standing tall will do more for you. Try to keep the handle as close as you can to your hip the entire approach and while in the air. 

Yes, a scarecrow is a front roll, with a front side 180. To change your front roll to a scarecrow, same approach, pop, hold on with both hands, and as your feet go over your head, pull the handle to your back hip. Keep both hands on the handle the entire time. Don't over think it, holding on with both hands will do most of the work. 

Filming w/ Cannon 1DX MII, w/ 24-70/F2.8L. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife used to wakeboard until she figured out how to get up on a ski. We surfed behind someone else's boat recently and it was fun but not $100,000+ for a new boat and HD truck fun! The wakeboard usually goes with us to the lake/river but only gets used by guests.

Edited by Porkfight

Well I was finally able to make it back out on the water today after a couple weeks. Thanks to all of your advice I was able to nail the front roll on my first and second tries! The first one wasn't the cleanest but it gave me a huge boost of confidence and I was able to improve on the second attempt. Still a long way to go with it but it definitely makes me feel better that I was able to get it around a couple times. Thanks everyone for the tips! Now on to a scarecrow!

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, abattle10 said:

Well I was finally able to make it back out on the water today after a couple weeks. Thanks to all of your advice I was able to nail the front roll on my first and second tries! The first one wasn't the cleanest but it gave me a huge boost of confidence and I was able to improve on the second attempt. Still a long way to go with it but it definitely makes me feel better that I was able to get it around a couple times. Thanks everyone for the tips! Now on to a scarecrow!

Congrats on the front roll! On the crow, don't come off edge quite as much and hold on with both hands.   Focus more on pop than trip because you don't need nearly as much trip/rotation as from roll.  It is a wayyy easier trick.  Good luck!

Went out again and started trying the scarecrow. First attempt was the best, just needed a little bit more to clear the wake and finish off the rotation. Inverts always leave me wanting more...:surprised:

• Like 3

We wakeboard a good bit. Both of my daughters(12+14),my oldest son (8)and I all wakeboard. I would guess and say we wakeboard 70% of the time and surf the rest. We enjoy both but I would say of the ones in the family that wakeboard, it is our preference. 

• Like 1
On August 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM, abattle10 said:

Heck yeah!!! Much better body position. This will help on every toe side jump. If you can land a front roll, you can land a scarecrow. 

After about a dozen or so attempts (some far better than others) I was able to land the scarecrow, kinda. I was able to complete the roll and the 180 but they were in sequence with the roll followed by the 180 rather than both happening in sync. I have a lot of work ahead of me to clean up both the crow and the TS front roll but landed two new inverts in one week was really exciting for me, especially after struggling and failing to learn a tantrum for 1.5 seasons. Hopefully the michigan summer can extend through late september with some decent weather in october. This will be the first fall that I am not away at school so I am hoping to extend my season by a month maybe more!

• Like 2
On August 29, 2016 at 0:53 PM, abattle10 said:

After about a dozen or so attempts (some far better than others) I was able to land the scarecrow, kinda. I was able to complete the roll and the 180 but they were in sequence with the roll followed by the 180 rather than both happening in sync. I have a lot of work ahead of me to clean up both the crow and the TS front roll but landed two new inverts in one week was really exciting for me, especially after struggling and failing to learn a tantrum for 1.5 seasons. Hopefully the michigan summer can extend through late september with some decent weather in october. This will be the first fall that I am not away at school so I am hoping to extend my season by a month maybe more!

A proper scarecrow is a front roll, to 180. Especially as you learn them you want to think of it in this order. This will help you go up and over, rather than slinging your feet up and around your head. 

What's wrong with your tantrum? If you can understand the TS front roll, a tantrum should not be an issue. 

10 years ago we only surfed when the water was trashed or we were. Now the knees are trashed and usually only ride a single set and then drive/coach. Getting a new boat so I won't have to depend on friends for pulls. They mainly surf. So hopefully I can knock the cobwebs off and get back to being a decent rider! Thanks for the motivation in this thread.

9 hours ago, Brian Young said:

A proper scarecrow is a front roll, to 180. Especially as you learn them you want to think of it in this order. This will help you go up and over, rather than slinging your feet up and around your head. 

What's wrong with your tantrum? If you can understand the TS front roll, a tantrum should not be an issue. 

Good to know! Most stuff I saw online had the 180 coming half way through so that makes me feel better about my attempts. 

On the tantrum I don't think I got the edging down properly. Now that I've gotten the front roll down I think that will help a lot with my mechanics on it. On my attempts I would achieve about 1/3 of the back flip before I would start to spin and I would end up landing on my back. Video is from last season, haven't tried a whole lot since then but when I have I have fallen the same way. Sorry for the distance of the video, should be good enough to get the idea

Edited by abattle10
added video
5 hours ago, abattle10 said:

Good to know! Most stuff I saw online had the 180 coming half way through so that makes me feel better about my attempts. 

On the tantrum I don't think I got the edging down properly. Now that I've gotten the front roll down I think that will help a lot with my mechanics on it. On my attempts I would achieve about 1/3 of the back flip before I would start to spin and I would end up landing on my back. Video is from last season, haven't tried a whole lot since then but when I have I have fallen the same way. Sorry for the distance of the video, should be good enough to get the idea

It hasn't fixed my issue yet, but last weekend I was told by someone (who can do all non-mobe inverts) that the last second spinning can be due to the way you have your lead arm bent.  If you extended it from your body that may help.  I'll see this weekend.    

On August 31, 2016 at 7:34 AM, abattle10 said:

Take this with a grain of salt from an old fat guy who has not been upside down on a wakeboard in a long time :

Cut harder, flatten out and wait for the trip before you throw the arm.

Edited by WakeSS
On August 31, 2016 at 6:34 AM, abattle10 said:

Without breaking the entire trick down, try these few things. On your approach in, get your weight over your front foot. Stay over your front foot the entire time, and stomp it off the top of the wake as you trip the trick and leave the wake. 

The spin, it's hard to tell with that video, are you spinning backside? This is most likely from you turning your head over your back shoulder looking for the water. As you leave the water, throw your head straight back. Once in the air look down the line, toward the tower. 

Handle control will come as you get more comfortable trick. For now, just like most tricks, try to keep it pulled in tight and low to your lead hip. 

On September 4, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Brian Young said:

Without breaking the entire trick down, try these few things. On your approach in, get your weight over your front foot. Stay over your front foot the entire time, and stomp it off the top of the wake as you trip the trick and leave the wake. 

The spin, it's hard to tell with that video, are you spinning backside? This is most likely from you turning your head over your back shoulder looking for the water. As you leave the water, throw your head straight back. Once in the air look down the line, toward the tower. 

Handle control will come as you get more comfortable trick. For now, just like most tricks, try to keep it pulled in tight and low to your lead hip. 

Yep I am spinning backside. Before getting advice from you guys, I would come in back foot heavy on all of my "trip flip"invert attempts. As soon as I came in with more weight on the front foot I landed the front roll first try. I'll definitely have to get back on the water and try that with a tantrum. Amazing how one change can make such a huge difference! :werule: 

• Like 1
On 8/22/2016 at 2:37 PM, abattle10 said:

Congrats man, I can stoop this at the cable park but see to have some serious issues on the boat. I'm going to try this way Sunday, after watching this I see that I was leaning/crouching down too much. 

37 minutes ago, airshark360 said:

Congrats man, I can stoop this at the cable park but see to have some serious issues on the boat. I'm going to try this way Sunday, after watching this I see that I was leaning/crouching down too much. 

Of all of the advice I've gotten on it, the biggest improvements for me came off of setting my toe side edge early with more weight on the front foot and leaning down the line, not crouching as I approached the wake. Everything felt much more natural and controlled when I stopped crouching. Brian's advice in a few posts above helped me out a ton. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 2