Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's Still Wakeboarding?

abattle10

With the rise of surfing it seems that wakeboarding content has really fallen off. So who out there is still wakeboarding and what are you working on? My summer goals in May consisted of being more consistent on my wake to wake 360s and landing a tantrum. I've improved on my 360 and I can now diagnose the reason behind all of my falls without checking the tape afterwards. As for the tantrum, I hit a wall and couldn't get a full rotation down so I shifted my focus to a toeside front roll to work on my "trip-flip" edge, thinking that may be the issue. After 4 days on the water I have gotten pretty close but haven't been able to ride one out yet. Hopefully I'll be able to land it next time out and start working on the tantrum again! Unfortunately, I won't be out on the water for a few more weeks so getting out of the water after being so close wasn't easy... Here's a few of my closer attempts. I'm at 21 mph and 65' back.

What are all of you wakeboarders working on?

I still wakeboard, but will surf every once in a while.  I'm working on getting my tantrums w2w (keep landing on the lip/knuckle) and trying to throw a 360- could do one in the past, but somehow lost it. 

My chick used to be surf only.  I bought her a new wakeboard for her birthday- last week she goes "wow, umm... surfing is boring, when can we ride again... now I know why you spend so much time back there!" :yahoo::thumbup::woot:

This means that I GET TO RIDE MORE TOO!!!!

Btw- Looks like you are throwing the flip a bit too early- It's the same problem I'm having with the tantrum.

• Like 2

We wakeboard 90% of the time. Fill in the other time surfing or just soaking up the sun.

I'm working on switch TS and HS w2w in order to progress to 180s and 360s. I guess I'm doing okay for a 50 year old....lol. I find it hard to get folks to go out. Usually we go wakeboarding with my kids friends cause they love to wakeboard and try new tricks etc.

Edited by MystiikVLX
added more infomation

We break out the surfboard on occasion but probably only 2 to 3 times a month. Our lake is about 90 acres with some inconveniently placed shallows that we can get through wake boarding but we aren't willing to risk it surfing. Really wish I could get out on it more though.

@hunter77ah maybe try bumping the speed up .5? Whenever I try something new I slow the boat down to take some of the pain out of the falls and bumping my speed up from 20.4 to 21 made a big difference on my front rolls and the speed increase took me from landing on the lip to a couple feet outside the wake

32 minutes ago, MalibuNation said:

I mainly wakeboard and ski a couple times a year.  Surf a couple of times a year too.  What am I working on, not getting hurt at my age ?

Even at 21 I wake up on Monday morning and ask myself why I put myself through the pain of learning something new... Then when I stomp something for the first time that feeling makes it all worth it :yahoo: Not sure how long the joy will outweigh the pain though.

MalibuNation

Up until I was 50 I was always trying to do new things with the saying if you don't fall you are not trying hard enough.  I am content on getting up and number 2 is smiling.

• Like 2

Hell yea!

My wife and I just started really wakeboarding in the last year or so. This summer I finally got my jumps into to the flats and also landed my first back roll. On the to do list for summer/fall is to consistently land my back roll, learn the tantrum, make my w2w 180s more consistent,360s & 180 to blind. Maybe throw a raley into there somewhere. So much to learn and so little time!

I still take the surf board in case we have enough time and energy to give it a go, but most the time it stays racked. I know it's just different strokes for different folds, but its so hard to imagine how surfing can stay interesting when done often. 

Edited by timelinex

Still wakeboarding here, so does my wife... I am pretty boring to watch but I still like to get out and take a set if the water is nice with no wind.  Sometimes I don't even fall, which is kinda funny when you come in the boat and your hair is not wet... My fashion air is my goto trick, it is actually the most pathetic fashion air you will ever see :biggrin:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, abattle10 said:

We break out the surfboard on occasion but probably only 2 to 3 times a month. Our lake is about 90 acres with some inconveniently placed shallows that we can get through wake boarding but we aren't willing to risk it surfing. Really wish I could get out on it more though.

@hunter77ah maybe try bumping the speed up .5? Whenever I try something new I slow the boat down to take some of the pain out of the falls and bumping my speed up from 20.4 to 21 made a big difference on my front rolls and the speed increase took me from landing on the lip to a couple feet outside the wake

I usually ride at 22 or faster at 70 feet. I watched the video, I'm getting too anxious and throwing it early lol. I threw one "late" last weekend and went w2w but went nose down in some chop and didn't land it.

Front rolls are my next trick to learn. Buddies and I tried them on a whim last year and got really close, but didn't take the time to fully learn them.

I'm about 65-35.... Wake to surf....I use to wakeboard years ago behind an io but was never great.... W2w grabs was about it.... Few years go by and me and the wife bought our 2016 a20 as our 30th birthday presents to each other....not quite w2w yet but close.... Got a few grabs and have been trying 2-3 tantrums every time out.... I'd say I'm about halfway from getting it....

• Like 2

I wakeboard when the water is calm and surf when it's rough. Unfortunately, the wind has been a factor this year so I have been primarily surfing. It was calm for the month of July while I was recovering from a sprained knee :cry:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

99% wake board and 1% wake surf.  At 56, I'm happy to do w2w heel side and toe-edge. I too get kidded about getting in the boat with my hair dry because I'm not trying new stuff.  Bad knees and shoulders keep me a little on the conservative side, but I do have fun, so much so we have put almost 1200 hours on our 2013 in 3.5 seasons.  Great boats, lots family fun!!!!

19 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I wakeboard when the water is calm and surf when it's rough. Unfortunately, the wind has been a factor this year so I have been primarily surfing. It was calm for the month of July while I was recovering from a sprained knee :cry:

I'm the age of BlackBlu (56) and have been recovering from a sprained knee like Raimie.  Been doing very little wakeboarding while my knee heels, surfing, while no where near as thrilling , has given me something to do.

But I'm the only one in the boat surfing, everyone else still wakeboards/skates.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 2

We mainly wakeboard 95% of the time and surf the remaining.  This year, I have been focusing on landing a backroll and becoming more consistent on my HS 360 and the last time out I was more consistent on my backroll (2/2) than on the HS 360 (0/4).  Then my last few attempts, I started to try the TS front roll.  So, the rest of the season, I would like to get the 3 locked down, the backroll consistent, and land the front roll.  Then maybe focus on switched HS and TS w2w.

If you practice your TS one wake jumps, focus on coming in and standing tall in your jump and get height in your jump.  Then transition that into your front roll, when you come in, first focus on going all the way up the wake, then throw the trick.

As far as tantrum, I was practicing that last year at the end of the season and went down to Freedom Wake Park in April and first run out, Cobe said he wanted me to attempt a backroll.  At first, I was like how about a tantrum, then he said it was easier.  Mentally, I was thinking I am more comfortable with straight rotations (front flip / back flip) than I am with "cartwheels".  His advice was, when you come in to the wake, ride up the wake and let go with my back hand and throw a front flip.  I did that and then his next response was, perfect, now do the same thing with your upper body but throw your front foot backwards.  For some reason, I connected with that.

I wakeboard in the morning and evening when no other boats are out & surf with the family in the middle of the day.  I've finally got HS FS 360's down and have started to try and throw in a quick nose grab on them sometimes.  Landing with the grab isn't constant yet.  Been wanting to invert for years now, just too scared.  I am the same way as bcoppess, I can do a back and front flip on a tramp all day without much bouncing so thought a tantrum would be easiest.  Can't seem to get the trip or flip at all so went to backroll.  Landed on my feet first try of my backroll so going to continue to try that.  Maybe landing a backroll will help me with a tantrum?  I wish the pop wasn't so weird for a tanny, I love the way the laid out flip looks.  Oh, I also want to try a TS FS 360 as it's the same motion as HS.  That's yet to come though.

OP, 

I would learn both the toeside back roll and scarecrow before a toeside front roll.  Reason being the toeside back roll you really only have to rotate 300 degrees and the board will land on edge for you.  Toe fronts require you "over" rotate to land with the board at an angle it will hold the water.  As soon as you get a toeside back the tantrum will be easy.  Scarecrow is easir than toe fronts because you can just huck and let go with your front hand and you will see the water the whole time.  

Been watching the Olympics?  Hear them talking about blind landings?  That's what a toe front requires.  It's actually not an easy trick and probably 7 or 8 on the list for easy consistency in my opinion.  

I assume this is not your first invert given you're making pretty good attempts!  Biggest reason I suggest another move first is if you under rotate like you're doing, you can blow a knee pretty easily.  Ask me how I know.

Good luck. 

I found that the trick for the trantrum is to cut REALLY REALLY hard initially, then level off right before the wake.  Really helps with getting the board all the way around and really gave a good "trip" feel.  IDK if anyone else noticed, but it seems like all of the wakeboarders going for inverts/new tricks are in the Ohio/Michigan area.  We should meet up one of these weekends.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

99% wake board and 1% wake surf.  At 56, I'm happy to do w2w heel side and toe-edge. I too get kidded about getting in the boat with my hair dry because I'm not trying new stuff.  Bad knees and shoulders keep me a little on the conservative side, but I do have fun, so much so we have put almost 1200 hours on our 2013 in 3.5 seasons.  Great boats, lots family fun!!!!

1200 hours in 3.5 seasons, that is legit! :rockon:  I dont think I have 1200 hours on my boats in the past 9 years of ownership.  If we can get 80-100 in a season I feel like we are doing pretty good!

75/35 boarding.  Just picked up a new board(and 20 lbs) since last summer.  Board is a lot looser than my old b-side(new one is a Kruz..2015 bio core), so still trying to dial in the cutsas I have only been on it 3 times.  Really has me focused on my progressive edge though.  I am 49, as mentioned before 20 lbs heaver than I want and am really terrible, considering I have been doing it on and off since 1998(oh and missing half the ligaments in my left knee).  I am just happy to get wake to wake any more on a short line...lol. Really don't get much time on the board any more either as all the kids (we didn't have as many in 1998 :) ) want to do stuff and I mostly just get to drive.  Lucky to get one board set and a surf set a week. 

Anyway, based on that, Ive kind of given up on big progressions and am just content to ride a bit.

@85 Barefoot Thanks for the advice. You're right that this isn't my first invert, I landed a heel side back roll two years ago but really learned the right way to do it last year. With that being said, I understand the concept of loading the line and the progressive edge that's needed but there's just something that seems unnatural about the rotation on the toeside back roll that has scared me away from it. Might have to give it a try before the approaching michigan winter shuts me down

I know what you're scared of....a freakin' toeside header coming down from a few feet!  I was too.  I only took like 3 ever.  The rotation is very smooth and surprisingly quick.