Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My next move

Levi900RR

I did a boat upgrade myself at the end of last season.  Moved to my first V-Drive.  Slalom used to be my thing, but as I got older my kids wanted to board and now love to surf.  I was initially thinking a similar budget, move up to a 2008-2010 type model.  I was also looking for a 23 footer (LSV) initially.  Anyway, I looked at a million boats, and ended up going much cheaper and finding a one owner 2005 VLX.  It had all the boxes checked...quad ballast, monsoon, PP, wedge, etc.  The rear lockers are HUGE if you want to add PNP-type setup for more weight - I have not but it would be very easy to do.  We added a home-built surf wedge set-up and with 6-8 people in the boat and the wedge stuck on the side, the stock ballast allows it to throw a pretty good surf wave.  I wish I surfed goofy, the starboard side wave is much bigger for some reason...I attribute it to prop rotation.  I went from a 23 Ft XTi to the 21 VLX and don't miss the extra length - we boat with a similar crowd as you do.

The only thing I really wanted was power wedge, but I am not so old I can't bend down to flip open the trap door.  :-)

Good luck, enjoy the window shopping and prop...errr...tire kicking.

-- Mike

On 8/15/2016 at 5:23 AM, Levi900RR said:

Agreed, I just don't have as much time for messing around with my ballast system as I used to... 

Full transparency here, I'm not going to pull the trigger on something else right now, just contemplating my options. I really want to surf behind one of these forward facing outdrives. If I could get a 28 footer that would handle the chop like a champ and had a decent wave... :dontknow:

I too am intrigued by them.  Just for argument sake here is t22 wave pic from this thread and a cobalt R5 surf wave  they don't look that different.  Nice lip knee high wave from both.

13902800_10208832483982388_1969738581990

image1_zpsfrqagipx.jpg

@DarkSide -- look at the angle to the horizon on both photos.  The T22 wave is much bigger and at least a board length longer.  The bottom photo is shot from a very low and to the side angle to give the appearance of bigness.

IMHO etc etc.

Absolutely  looks longer, and as noted not slammed either.  The other T22 wave in this thread that is slammed looks way better than the cobalt.  So I agree the potential for T22 is fantastic.   I have ridden Anderson24 t22  and I love the wave.   Too hard to tell too much from simple pics camera angles can distort things dramatically 

Just commenting levi should be able to find a reasonable wave in what he said he was looking for.

14 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Absolutely  looks longer, and as noted not slammed either.  The other T22 wave in this thread that is slammed looks way better than the cobalt.  So I agree the potential for T22 is fantastic.   I have ridden Anderson24 t22  and I love the wave.   Too hard to tell too much from simple pics camera angles can distort things dramatically 

Just commenting levi should be able to find a reasonable wave in what he said he was looking for.

Happy birthday dark side

18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

@DarkSide -- look at the angle to the horizon on both photos.  The T22 wave is much bigger and at least a board length longer.  The bottom photo is shot from a very low and to the side angle to give the appearance of bigness.

IMHO etc etc.

How is the Axis wave compared to the MB wave?  

17 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Hmmm... It has been two years since I rode the MB so I'm going from memory not back to back experience...

i personally prefer a long wave over a tall wave every day.  Will willingly give up height for length. 

MB listed goofy wave was one of the very best I have personally ridden. Very long. The axis wave is probably half a board length shorter. The axis wave is a bit more powerful from the back and on the flats, I think. The axis also has a bit more vert/lip. But just a bit.  Neither wave is "tige steep"  with a huge vert wall.

Both waves are very very fun just a little different. 

17 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Hmmm... It has been two years since I rode the MB so I'm going from memory not back to back experience...

i personally prefer a long wave over a tall wave every day.  Will willingly give up height for length. 

MB listed goofy wave was one of the very best I have personally ridden. Very long. The axis wave is probably half a board length shorter. The axis wave is a bit more powerful from the back and on the flats, I think. The axis also has a bit more vert/lip. But just a bit.  Neither wave is "tige steep"  with a huge vert wall.

Both waves are very very fun just a little different. 

My wife surfed that cobalt with stock ballast st Surfest 2015, good boat, bad to ok wave

good surfer no problem challenged surfer problem 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2