Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My next move

Levi900RR

2 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

Matt, My wave is OK. I have a lot of fun behind and think it's awesome until I watch some videos on here of people like 50' behind the boat! 

You haven't maxed out the wave potential of your hull....

• Like 1
On 8/12/2016 at 6:52 PM, Nitrousbird said:

You haven't maxed out the wave potential of your hull....

Agreed, I just don't have as much time for messing around with my ballast system as I used to... 

Full transparency here, I'm not going to pull the trigger on something else right now, just contemplating my options. I really want to surf behind one of these forward facing outdrives. If I could get a 28 footer that would handle the chop like a champ and had a decent wave... :dontknow:

I would probably have an Axis if my wife didn't hate the interior but I love our 2013 MB Sports.  Hands down the best wave I've surfed & it surfs well in choppy water, can hardly feel the rollers behind the boat unless you get too far back.  How it handles the chop is amazing, my 02 VLX sucked compared to this hull.  We had so many days we would have to leave cause it was just sketchy being on the water let alone trying to surf.  Not with this boat, we've stayed out in crap conditions & still had a good time surfing.  

martinarcher
On 8/15/2016 at 8:23 AM, Levi900RR said:

Agreed, I just don't have as much time for messing around with my ballast system as I used to... 

Full transparency here, I'm not going to pull the trigger on something else right now, just contemplating my options. I really want to surf behind one of these forward facing outdrives. If I could get a 28 footer that would handle the chop like a champ and had a decent wave... :dontknow:

Can I pretend I didn't read that. :) 

Seriously though....if you sell your boat give me a ring before you do so.  I'd certainly have to consider it.  :whistle:

10 minutes ago, Levi900RR said:

I have totally considered the X-80 and the elusive Malibu 25 LSV 

Could you get a delayed convergence wave by using one motor but not the other? (Or reduced power from the second)

On August 12, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Pnwrider said:

Can you get a gated axis for 50k? 

I did for 2014, and it was sn ordered boat in 2013, 49500, ugly plain white one, surfgate wedge, Bimini, heater, ski pylon, 2 pair cleats, 1235 prop which for an ordered boat was a$125 upgrade, sp1 stereo, Bluetooth, transom flush , pnp, tower knobs dual battery option, trailer tandem galvanized I love was 5000 more(had to have brack water so they got me back- I think painted metal and I would have very little cost for that and would have insisted on its inclusion). Self added  All safety equip 2 surfboards one cheap one a good bit more, sacs and connectors 4 Titan non swivels and tower mirror( got the racks and an extra surf only fork and mirror and hardware spare at a dealer $1600 with shipping), 7% sales tax title license $63500

Edited by granddaddy55
On August 15, 2016 at 7:31 AM, shawndoggy said:

not for $50k you're not.

Did in 2013 for '14, see above.  They were no used surfgate boats available in December 2013, unless someone was dumping a 2013 surfgate wske setter and I doubt that 

i negotiate like a real prick, I sent $10000 cashiers check in mail, with a huge list of options including sp2, never negotiated in person and never test drove, knew what I could write a check for.  They laughed , I said send me my check, 2 hours later deal onboat above without cleats cause I thought I would get standard non pop ups, no none on boat.  We already agreed and they had cashed check and boat was in production and I told them keep the boat, or you can eat 2 sets of cleats, they did

louisiana boats if this type not as popular as elsewhere, 

my negotiation regret, I think 2014 saltwater package included galvanized tandem trailer with upgraded rims, probably could have had this for 5000 differential more  as I paid for trailer cause I had to have tandem galvanized in our brack water, love to take my boat to the beach and I don't intend to even sell it, but without saltwater package I'm hesitant to do beach , promise to self , 10 yr old boat,go to beach twice a year anyway 

Its a "price point" boat, some of you guys forgot 

i think this was actually close to retail less a $1000 incentive 

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Did in 2013 for '14, see above.  They were no used surfgate boats available in December 2013, unless someone was dumping a 2013 surfgate wske setter and I doubt that 

What you did in 2013 is irrelevant to this thread. We are trying to help Levi find a boat in 2016 (although if this turns into his last boat search it may be a year or two). He said he has a 50k budget so I asked if today people were seeing used axis with surf gate selling for 50k. I don't follow used axis prices and the ones that come up in my cl searches are way overpriced (based on how long they have been listed for). 

• Like 1

Should be able to find a stripped 2014 a20 someone is upgrading from for less, or a holdover 15 or stripped 15 used. Maybe the cheap ones people keep!

On August 16, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Levi900RR said:

In all seriousness, has anyone ever been in a Sunscape 25LSV, or an X-80? What's the verdict?

There is an X-80 on our lake. 700 acre lake. Way to big of a boat for our lake. It's a tubing machine. The other night they were surfing and we were too. We called it a night and drove by. Stopped to talk to them. 3 people in the boat and they said they have no ballast system in it. I told them good luck on surfing it then and offered some ideas. 

This one has only one motor though. 350 in it and he still cruises across the water pretty well.  It's a big boat when you get up close. 28 feet I think, but only 5600lbs or so. 

9 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Should be able to find a stripped 2014 a20 someone is upgrading from for less, or a holdover 15 or stripped 15 used. Maybe the cheap ones people keep!

I don't think the A20 fits any of Levi's requirements (good boat for big water).

• Like 1