Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My next move

Levi900RR

Fellow Malibu lovers. I've had my Sunscape for 4 summers now, and I'm starting to contemplate what my next move is. I really don't have any problems with the Sunscape but you know how it is... 

I think what's driving this is there is a dude in town that is begging to buy my boat. 

Things I want in a newer boat / things I'm thinking about. 

- My lake is big, if I can get something that handles the chop a little better that would be ideal.

- Surf wave, I'm getting older and starting get less interested in smashing my face into the water from wakeboarding. I'd like something that gives me a little more room to play on the surf board. I'd also like something with a super dialed in auto / integrated ballast system

- I don't want anything too massive, my crew is pretty solid at a max of 8, plus I would love to not have to upgrade my lift. 

- Less than $50K

Thoughts?

Take a look at some of the Axis line, I was on a T23 this week and the surf wave was beefy!  You will have to go smaller than the T23 but there are some good options out there.  Maybe take a look at an A20?  Those generally are in the mid-upper 50's.

Just wait a bit for the "new" Malibu 21 VLX to knock used prices of the "old" VLX down to 50k.  Maybe Ive read too much of that particular forum topic........

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Levi900RR said:

What year did the VLX's get a little wider? I've heard that makes a big difference. 

It got wider in 2005 and again in 2009, then again in 2015.  The draft changed in 2005 and 2015.

Edited by jwl019
  • Like 1

Winter is coming, but If this Next Move  boat search thread is even half as epic as the one four years ago, we will be fine.

Edited by Bozboat
Add link
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, Levi900RR said:

I've seen a few 2010ish VLX's that looks pretty sweet... 

Other than the 15-16's, I think the 2010 is a pretty sweet spot to look at, but I may be biased lol!  It has the G3 (think some of the older year models with the Illusion or Illusion X had some issues with welds and replacing bushings?), it has the MUX switches (no real issues after the '08 problems and also doesn't have the Malivue screen bubble issues I have been reading about on the '11-12's-think it is $1,800 to replace, and having to add a back up keyed ignition on the '11's).  There was a pretty big noticeable difference in the surf wave going from my '01 VLX to the '10 I have now as well.

It's mid August and there are a few T22 in the mid to upper 50's on only inboard.  Later this year you may be able to score a deal.  The T22 puts out a great wake and wave.  

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3

I would do the 04+ 23 or 05+ vlx in Malibu. But others in this thread are right about axis being a lot of boat and a lot newer for that price. 2010 VLX is a nice ride. But surf gate axis is probably my vote. 

My 05 is nice and roomy for 8 but 23 would be ideal. If you are ok with non power wedge get axis. I look at it this way: in the axis you need to get in the water to drop the wedge, in Malibu you would need to get in the water or lean over the side to fix a suck gate to the side. 

Another fun option if you like to turn wrenches is to get my era VLX and add @martinarcher surf system or wave control. You could get an 08 VLX with cats and the power wedge for 35-40 in the winter add wave control for 3500 and get 10k worth of surfboards, fresh air exhaust, a 15 inch prop and reversible ballast. Still have money left over. 

Or get the axis and have a nicer newer boat with the manual wedge. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm with PNW -- 8.1 247.

This. They don't drive like a big boat. Give up the dream of ever skiing behind it though, assuming you ski behind yours (which you should a bit...its one of the best skiing Vdrive hulls ever made).

oh man Levi I didn't realize how low champlain was.  Yeah you could totally get away with a 5.7L axis.  I think you could find a leftover T22 in the 50s, maybe even a 16 (five year warranty).  Would be a big step up in wakeboard and surf wake from what you have, and has significantly more freeboard than your current ride.  T23 would be a fabulous "big water" boat, but that's gonna put you at low $60s minimum I think.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

@Levi900RR I agree with the T22 or A22 suggestions. I had a chance to surf an A22 recently and the new hull in 2015 drastically improved the surf wave. We ran pnp 550's and stock. Surfed at 10.8. The thing that impressed me the most is there is still a lot of bow out of the water with this setup. Didn't haven't any issues turned back. It's higher then the T I surf regularly. Although we run an extra 400 up front in the T too. I think the A22 would be awesome with 750's and 400 or so up front. 

martinarcher
21 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

Fellow Malibu lovers. I've had my Sunscape for 4 summers now, and I'm starting to contemplate what my next move is. I really don't have any problems with the Sunscape but you know how it is... 

I think what's driving this is there is a dude in town that is begging to buy my boat. 

Things I want in a newer boat / things I'm thinking about. 

- My lake is big, if I can get something that handles the chop a little better that would be ideal.

- Surf wave, I'm getting older and starting get less interested in smashing my face into the water from wakeboarding. I'd like something that gives me a little more room to play on the surf board. I'd also like something with a super dialed in auto / integrated ballast system

- I don't want anything too massive, my crew is pretty solid at a max of 8, plus I would love to not have to upgrade my lift. 

- Less than $50K

Thoughts?

How's the surf wave on your boat?  I don't know of anyone running gates on your boat but I've been curious what I could do with that hull.  I've been thinking about a V-Drive but still want to ski!  It looks like a Sunscape or a VTX. :)   

You worried about ski wake at all?  Wake hull VLX's are so common and a lot easier to find and can be had well less than $50k if you hunt a deal.  Toss a couple gates on it and surfs up.  :surfing:

I'm not worried about ski wake at all. I have 1 friend who has a ski, and if he wants to ski he usually goes behind his old Prostar. I hadn't considered an Axis, I really need to get inside one of them. 

Matt, My wave is OK. I have a lot of fun behind and think it's awesome until I watch some videos on here of people like 50' behind the boat! 

Edited by Levi900RR
2 minutes ago, Levi900RR said:

I hadn't considered an Axis, I really need to get inside one of them. 

T22 wave, not insanely weighted by any means, is definitely pretty decent.

13902800_10208832483982388_1969738581990

• Like 3
1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

T22 wave, not insanely weighted by any means, is definitely pretty decent.

13902800_10208832483982388_1969738581990

Always so jealous how blue that water is... I agree though, the Axis line throws a good wake.