Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skied an MC209 Yesterday...

SunriseH2OSkier

Chine lock on the 98s was horrible. Didn't the WSM test mule end up on shore that year?

My bud has a '94 PS190. Truly one of the nicest wakes I've experienced at the usual problematic length of 22'.

I think that is why they put the wing on the 99 rudder-but it made the boat very slow and the wake very hard.

One of the guys in our group has a pristine 91 Prostar that has the smallest wake I have ever skied. The boat is so small though, you can really pull it around. We ski it about every fourth time out. It's funny because the guy that owns it hates to ski behind my RLXi and the 197s.

Now, if we could just decide on what's better, DD or VD and which is harder slalom or wakeboarding. Biggrin.gif

Oh, it's been decided. You just haven't seen the light yet, grasshopper.

Come to the dark side...

The 91-94 MC prostar hull is the nicest, smallest, softest wake that I've ever skied. The pull is smooth and gentle but not soft. That hull's problem was that any wind or light breeze and 32 off and shorter was brutally tough to get through the spray, to the tune of and new RLXi for me.

The 95-97 MC had a little harder wake when compared to the 94 but a nice soft wake by todays boats.

The MB sports 190 is a '94 MC hull with some rails that go down the long axis to reduce the spray, and that worked marginally but the way they powered that boat made it soft.

The new TT 197- I never see anything else, is a good boat beyond 32 and the pull is ok. But that was the whole thing is that the boat is ok not the greatest thing in the world.

I will say that the promo RLXi I skied behind this weekend was terrible at 28! I had to look several times to see the MALIBU sticker on the side and not the MASTERCRAFT. 32 - 38 was ok and the pull was nice. It just goes to show me that all the boats aren't the same. If any of those MC guys skied a Bu like the promo one I skied this weekend I can understand why they wouldn't think the Bu was anything good.

I will say that the promo RLXi I skied behind this weekend was terrible at 28! I had to look several times to see the MALIBU sticker on the side and not the MASTERCRAFT. 32 - 38 was ok and the pull was nice. It just goes to show me that all the boats aren't the same. If any of those MC guys skied a Bu like the promo one I skied this weekend I can understand why they wouldn't think the Bu was anything good.

Looks like we'll be hanging on to our 03s for a while eh?

Biggrin.gif

Was it an '06 or '07? Also, was it a towered boat?

'06 and it was towered. So is Maliboo's boat(towered) and I don't have any problem with that boat. It's probably in the prop. But man was I surprised!

Ya Rip, I'll be hanging on to my '03 RLXi. It does what it's supposed to do and does it easily- it pulls all the 196 and 197 owners to their PB's! And makes my wife look GOOD!

Interesting. Must be a prop....or maybe he had some lead secreted away somewhere in the bilge. :lol: I'll be really interested in hearing your report on the new RLXI on the new hull when you get a chance to ski it. I got to see one up close & personal this past weekend. :)

So, how does the 21' LSV compare to the 209? Has anyone skied both? I am aware of their differences in stature and structure. I've always wanted to try an LSV to see how they stack up to the marketing claims (which seem to be close to those of the 209).

2nd question: Is it just me or is the '07 RLxi turning into the SLxi classic? [aside, of course, from the windshield]

Disclaimer: I'm not coming here to kick up the dust. See if the I-ride, were an '03 SLxi, I might convert. I know...that's what the used market is for.

Edited by HB Skier
So, how does the 21' LSV compare to the 209? Has anyone skied both? I am aware of their differences in stature and structure. I've always wanted to try an LSV to see how they stack up to the marketing claims (which seem to be close to those of the 209).

2nd question: Is it just me or is the '07 RLxi turning into the SLxi classic? [aside, of course, from the windshield]

Disclaimer: I'm not coming here to kick up the dust. See if the I-ride, were an '03 SLxi, I might convert. I know...that's what the used market is for.

I don't think so, but that's just me. I did get to eyeball one up close & personal this weekend & the only thing that looks bigger or really different from the old design (aside from the windshield, & I kinda like that) was that it doesn't look like it will chili-dip as easily as the old RLXI. Other than that, all of the specs are identical. The dealer said that it is an incredible drive, light as a feather & tracks better than ever. The guy that bought it loves the wake, says that the size doesn't look all that impressive but when you cross it, it's just a non-element, like it's not there at all. Unfortunately none of our crew members could get a pull to see what it's all about.

As for the 21' LSV comparison with the 209, I can't comment, sorry.

From what I recall they had a serious chine-lock problem. I almost bought a '98 MC PS 205 before I bought my first 'bu.

Mike

The 98 205 didn't have the same hull as the 1998 190. The direct drive 205s had the same hull from 96--2000 (although the deck changed slightly in 99 or 2000). This hull was a variant of the 95 Prostar 190. The variant was greater than the variation between the 91--94 Pro Star 190 and the 92--95 205 in this skier's humble opinion.

A few other things from this thread.

The 209 according to what I've been told, is based on a maristar hull design. Never skied it myself. 2006 will be its last production year. MC is producing a new walkthrough OB called the 214 for 2007 (should start seeing pictures around October 2006). It purports to ski closer to a 197, but keep the size of the 209.

I've heard and spread those rumors about the MBs having the old MC hulls in the mid to late 90s, but last I recall I was made to understand that that was not in fact the case. The do look quite similar though. If anyone has first hand info on this, I'd be interested to hear it.

Greg, I always like seeing you over on the MC board, even if I end up having to work harder when you and Jim get into it. I know Greg realizes that we're not all brand centric as some of our more outspoken owners.

Maybe someone could make me feel at home and edit my post. :blush:

DO IT TRACIE!!!!!! OH Please oh please! Change his avatar and photoshop him skiing behind a Bu!

Godd to see you lurking over here and you're right, not all of your members are bigots.

I thought you might chime in when the history of MC came into play, thanks for setting us straight.

I also skied behind a 97-98 RLX this weekend, I have idea of it's maintanence, and I gotta say that I would rather have dealt with the spray of a early 90's MC then to ski behind the super mush soft RLX that I did.

(See Eastie, I don't just stir the pot for you to clean up, Tracie loves me too)

DO IT TRACIE!!!!!! OH Please oh please! Change his avatar and photoshop him skiing behind a Bu!

Godd to see you lurking over here and you're right, not all of your members are bigots.

I thought you might chime in when the history of MC came into play, thanks for setting us straight.

I also skied behind a 97-98 RLX this weekend, I have idea of it's maintanence, and I gotta say that I would rather have dealt with the spray of a early 90's MC then to ski behind the super mush soft RLX that I did.

(See Eastie, I don't just stir the pot for you to clean up, Tracie loves me too)

Hey, I wasn't lurking. I was posting! :) Actually, I was looking in on the Zip Sled thread. Found a ton of pictures this weekend of various zip sleds. But leave my poor avatar alone. It's taken me this long just to get one up and running. I think I've got some video of me skiing behind an 02 Rlx. Maybe I could just do a frame grab and save Tracie the trouble. I know how overworked/underappreciated the people with the universal edit buttons are. Innocent.gif

Yeah, I felt like I could clear up some of the differentiations when it came to the 98 205 to the 98 190. Just not the same boat.

So I read on a little further. Are you certain about the MB being the 91-94 with a spray mod? Are we talking same mold, i.e., bought from MC, with an addition. Or are they just really close? One of those things that I've never been able to get anything official on.

Just an update on my original post - I was out with one of my original buddies for an early morning set today, and who do I see out already free skiing? Our new partner with his wife in their 209. Fortunately, they were on a different part of the lake than the course, so we headed there for our sets.

I had finished my first set when my partner was getting ready for his. He was just about to drop in the water, when here comes the 209 pulling a skier headed in the general direction of the course (not to ski it mind you, just to go by it). 'Ooohhh nooo, Scott, don't do it...' Fortunately, he realized we were on the course, so he turned back. 'Whew, that was close!' Didn't want to have to deal with his rollers.

Unfortunately, I was not so lucky for my second set. As I'm dropping in the water, here comes the 209 again, this time with no skier. They are headed back to the boat launch at the North end of the lake. I'm sure he thought he was doing us a favor by running parallel to the course about 100-150 yards away. :Doh:

I thought I could get maybe one pass down and back before the rollers got there, but I wasn't that lucky. They were already hitting the course as I made my pull for the gates on the way back. Mad.gif Ended up dropping and waiting a bit for the rollers to finally die down (d@mn that takes a long time), then got my passes in relatively undisturbed.

In the end, not really that big a deal, but we're gonna have to edumacate our new friend a little...

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny. ROFL.gif

Absolutely. Took me a second to ascertain his reference.

I owe a lot of that to the maturity & levelheadedness of this group.

Jack's presence notwithstanding, eh Tracie? Whistling.gif

HEY! I resemble that remark. Crazy.gif