Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordered new Raptor today

surfdude

I absolutely thrashed a rental Camaro SS with that transmission on a business trip earlier this year.  Really liked it.  Sad to hear you've had issues.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, nyryan2001 said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.  Not all that impressive?

Not sure if that's a fair representation. Not sure what the power curve looks like on those things but my guess is it will make more power at over 4509 rpm. That seemed like a half assed dyno pull to me. Icbw. 

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 1
On 4/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, surfdude said:

Well, so much for the new Raptor, tranny is toast at 3500 miles. Was supposed to go pick up the boat tomorrow, haven't even towed yet! Beware, the new Chevy has the same tranny.

Any updates?  What caused the tranny to grenade?  Was thinking of picking one up

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, surfdude said:

No updates, cause, I don't think they have even taken it out yet, trucks been there a week now!

Per the recent trend on these boards, time to start slamming your dealer and Ford!! :rant:

That felt like a pretty ballsy move to me when Ford decided to go 10 speed so aggressively this year, especially in a heavy-a$$ beast like the Raptor with that much HP hooked up to it.

Also curious at which point you reach diminishing returns on the number of forward gears.  The 8 speed in my GMC seems like it always has a gear available to stay right in the meat of the power curve.  6 was way better than 4, but I'm not sure how much 8 is better than 6, and really wondering if 10 is better than 8 at all.

10 isn't better than 8 if it doesn't hold up. The upgrade for the Hennessey Exorcist 10 speed trans is $10k, sounds to me like it needs quite a bit of work if it is going to be used very hard.

• 2 weeks later...

New Raptor has some sag. Don't know if it's enough to justify an equalizer hitch. Seems to have plenty of pulling power, the brakes are just ok.

IMG_0741.JPG

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 11:37 PM, surfdude said:

New Raptor has some sag. Don't know if it's enough to justify an equalizer hitch. Seems to have plenty of pulling power, the brakes are just ok.

IMG_0741.JPG

If you look at the door jamb of your truck, it probably states you have 1000-1200 lbs of payload. If you weigh the rig, then the truck seperately, you'll find your boat, loaded is dropping about 800 lbs on the truck. That gives you about 400 lbs for the accessories on the truck and people. Are you sure you're not over payload?

The photo looks like a 23LSV.  Our 2017 23LSV with Malibu trailer has just 440 pounds of tongue weight.  Boat on trailer with 50% fuel was 6840 pounds.  6400 on the axles and 440 on the tongue.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:39 AM, Zita said:

The photo looks like a 23LSV.  Our 2017 23LSV with Malibu trailer has just 440 pounds of tongue weight.  Boat on trailer with 50% fuel was 6840 pounds.  6400 on the axles and 440 on the tongue.

My 2014 LSV comes in at 7080 lbs full of fuel. Tongue weight is 800 lbs. For any trailer, you should be at 10-15% of the total gross trailer weight on the tongue.

I had a 2005 F150 super Crew v8  and 3.73 if i recall, pulled the 25 LSV a few times 3.5hrs each way...  got 5mi from home on the exit and blew the engine....errr.. but it had 130k miles on her and not sure what previous owner did on it.. purchased it with 100k miles...

upgraded last week to 2017 F150 Plat. with 10speed trans and 3.73 with v6-eco boost 3.5L... much more power but it does sag a bit when you put the boat on. Not sure what my tongue weight is thuogh.

if i pulled more than 2x a year i would get a F250 for sure, when i hooked the 25 lsv up to a 250 it doesnt pull down the truck arse nearly as much.. 

Edited by The Hulk

@The Hulk, I didn't think you could get 3.73 in the Platinum. I thought the Max Tow package was a 3.55. Can you verify? I'm probably going to be upgrading this winter to a '17 Platinum. 

23 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

@The Hulk, I didn't think you could get 3.73 in the Platinum. I thought the Max Tow package was a 3.55. Can you verify? I'm probably going to be upgrading this winter to a '17 Platinum. 

Well I was between two trucks for some reason I was thinking it was a 3.73 one. but this one is actually the  3.55 so your correct.. it might of been the laoded lariat u can get it with.. I couldn't decide between the two nearly identical but figured for harldy any difference the plat would be better down the road.. the massaging seats.. ridiculous.. wife likes it! I like turning her on.. ...I mean the seats....   lots if buttons! 

Power steps are a must! They fold down much lower than the fixed ones making it easier for the ladies to step into.. 

Anyway pulled the 25lsv pretty well with the new 10 speed trans in tow mode . EcoBoost is nice! Make sure it has max tow pkg and anti sway bar obviously..

I pull 2x per year unless I have to otherwise.. 150 EcoBoost is plenty.. if I was pulling more with a loaded crew then I'd 250 it but for an everyday ride the 150 is way better.. and very easy on the gas. I got the max tow pkg.. and Fx4 pkg but one thing I highly recommend doing is the extended fuel tank 36gal upgrade.. didn't think of this but what a difference! I love filling up only once a week.. and seeing the dash say 650+mi till empty.

Thinking of a 2" front lift but man oh man it rides so nice I'm contemplating the looks vs ride/drive quality.. 

For an everyday vehicle IMHO this is it.. drives lovely and has plenof room for 3 car seats wide in the back plus gear.. panaramic sun roof is nice!

Backup assist is a little funky for sure.. I tried .. set it all up but resorted to old fashioned ways.. I suppose a newbie might like it... If u learned the old fashioned way u probably won't use it.. but might be nice if your wife is backing the trailer in.. if it had a rear camera hook up for voat trailer then It might practical..

Top view camera system is awesome for fast food drive through so u can keep from curbing tires/rims 

Anyhow well worth it.

• Like 2

My truck is currently a '13 Platinum. You get used to the creature comforts! Once you load up a Lariat, the Platinum makes sense. 

3 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

My truck is currently a '13 Platinum. You get used to the creature comforts! Once you load up a Lariat, the Platinum makes sense. 

We did the opposite on our Expedition.  We optioned up all the creature comforts we wanted, but didn't pay for platinum badging.  It saved us a few grand.  As i recall, besides the badging, we couldn't get the HID headlamps without going platinum but pretty much everything else could be bought a la carte (platinum may use better leather, but I can't recall).   We didn't order things like the remote key fob, etc., but got heated/cooled sets, sunroof, navigation, mechanical leveling suspension, sunroof, etc., etc. on an Expy XLT.  

I went back and forth for about 2k difference but with incentives it was down to roughly 1k split.. dealer couldn't find any difference but I'm pretty sure there are some.. the leather is a lot nicer especially the steering wheel feel.. 

I'm sure there are some subtle difference not sure if massaging seats and color changable led mood lighting is available on the lariat?? Got me.. my reasoning was at that price point the resale on the Platinum would be better as someone would be questioning why my Lariat is the same price as platinums a few years down the road when the difference is even less

Both are sweet though!! I contemplated the Expedition but the F150 back seat is just massive verses having to put a third kid in the back third row on the expedition. I suppose if you have four kids you don't have the option you're stuck with the expedition.. 

I have 3 kids so my wife needed 3rd row for carpooling and we weren't about to go minivan.  I still have the F-150, which was actually her old ride.  You make a good point on resale.  We didn't consider that as for this purchase we plan to rack up the miles on the Expy and keep for the foreseeable future.  Not too mention, any interior would be lucky to survive years of abuse by my kids and not help resale.   Lol

• 2 weeks later...

@IXFE  How much over MSRP were they asking?  I'm ready to pull the trigger on one locally once they come down from 10k over MSRP, and just curious what price these are going for in other markets .

44 minutes ago, DAI said:

@IXFE  How much over MSRP were they asking?  I'm ready to pull the trigger on one locally once they come down from 10k over MSRP, and just curious what price these are going for in other markets .

That one above is $68k MSRP. There was no ADM posted but the salesman told me they have never sold one for less than $2500 over. I was encouraged by that; made me think MSRP was in the cards.