Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flipping axles on a Dorsey

Sncbluegt

I've considered flipping the axles on my Dorsey to make the entire trailer sit up higher due to the frequent areas I'm going to and the prop guard tends to come into contact almost every time no matter what I do. Has anyone tried this yet. 

Fyi it's the Dorsey that came with my 07 lsv

He means putting the axle under the leaf springs instead of over them.  Only real issue is the spring perches if there are any or just a centering pin hole if there isn't. 

Just remember that your lift amount will be the diameter of the axle tube and perch  plus the height of the spring pack

Got a picture of what you are working with?

Edited by oldjeep
41 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

He means putting the axle under the leaf springs instead of over them. 

That's what I thought.  It's just that all my boat trailers have had the axles already under the springs.

1 minute ago, MadMan said:

That's what I thought.  It's just that all my boat trailers have had the axles already under the springs.

When they are made wrong the axle is on the top ;)   I always cringe at that design since it means the load/shock is entirely on the $2 u-bolts rather than letting gravity help keep it together.

Just now, oldjeep said:

When they are made wrong the axle is on the top ;)   I always cringe at that design since it means the load/shock is entirely on the $2 u-bolts rather than letting gravity help keep it together.

I agree, most leaf spring cars use this design.  What makes me cringe is when someone replaces the factory u-bolts, that are flattened to distribute the load over the axle tube, with aftermarket bolts that are not flattened.

40 minutes ago, Okladadadam said:

I've have thought about lifting my trailer somehow also. I hit the prop guard on my driveway 

On a trailer I used to have, which had the axles under the springs, I fabbed up some 1/2" spacers to put between the springs and the axles.  The prop guard on that trailer was bolted on, so I also drilled some new mounting holes and moved it up.  You could also install taller tires.

• Like 1
Just now, MadMan said:

I agree, most leaf spring cars use this design.  What makes me cringe is when someone replaces the factory u-bolts, that are flattened to distribute the load over the axle tube, with aftermarket bolts that are not flattened.

On a trailer I used to have, which had the axles under the springs, I fabbed up some 1/2" spacers to put between the springs and the axles.  The prop guard on that trailer was bolted on, so I also drilled some new mounting holes and moved it up.  You could also install taller tires.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, every one of my leaf sprung jeeps had the axles on top the springs ;)