Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
sidekicknicholas

Wakesurf Edge - New wakesurf shaping device $215

Recommended Posts

Tags

anyone have one? I cancelled my back order on a ronix wakesurf shaper and was about to order a mission delta but came across this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird

I also saw it on FB.  I like the price and look of it.  My concerns:

-  Will it hold or having sliding problems like other suction cup devices?

-  The angle is pretty steep...more so than the Ronix copy I am currently running.  I have a feeling that angle may not be ideal.

If both of those are okay, I could see me switching to this.

Share this post


Link to post
NCVride
14 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I also saw it on FB.  I like the price and look of it.  My concerns:

-  Will it hold or having sliding problems like other suction cup devices?

-  The angle is pretty steep...more so than the Ronix copy I am currently running.  I have a feeling that angle may not be ideal.

If both of those are okay, I could see me switching to this.

Now there's another out there that popped up on my FB page.  Swellwake.com

 

No affiliation.  I still prefer my homemade suck gate as its a great conversation piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
MaliWop

After experiencing how easy and affordable the suck gate was to build, than seeing the results, I couldn't be bothered with paying more and waiting longer for anything else. Just my $.02 though.

Mind you Aesthetics on some of these other options are better. There's a lot to be said about that going on an expensive boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Burt77

Just went to swellwake.com and bought one.  Will let you know how it looks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Chatty21VLX

Has a 60 day money back deal, so worth a shot if you don't want to build a suck gate. They're out of stock until September though, according to the website. 

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247

Has anyone bought or have experience with wickedwakesurf.com? I remember when surfgate first came out, I contacted wickedwakesurf, but they still need measurements of my boat and said it would take a few months before I would get it. I think they were one of the few making these devices at the time. It is nice now there are so many choices. If I had my old boat, I'd try all of them; it would be cheaper than what I am paying now.

Edited by bbattiste247
Just wanted to fix something

Share this post


Link to post
Tao of Wake
17 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

Has anyone bought or have experience with wickedwakesurf.com? I remember when surfgate first came out, I contacted wickedwakesurf, but they still need measurements of my boat and said it would take a few months before I would get it. I think they were one of the few making these devices at the time. It is nice now there are so many choices. If I had my old boat, I'd try all of them; it would be cheaper than what I am paying now.

I had the Wicked Wakesurf devices. They worked, but they are large, bulky and heavy. Also, I had to still put more weight on the surf side; not like listing the boat, but couldn't have equal weight.

Share this post


Link to post
iwam

Nice to see someone put out a legit wake shaper for a reasonable price.  Like most people I made my own suck gate for ~$35, because $500 doesn't even remotely make sense for a piece of plastic and rubber

 

19 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I also saw it on FB.  I like the price and look of it.  My concerns:

-  Will it hold or having sliding problems like other suction cup devices?

-  The angle is pretty steep...more so than the Ronix copy I am currently running.  I have a feeling that angle may not be ideal.

If both of those are okay, I could see me switching to this.

 

I had haven't had issues with sliding, but it sounds like using some claybar on the hull takes care of that issue pretty darn well

Share this post


Link to post
sidekicknicholas
Quote

After experiencing how easy and affordable the suck gate was to build, than seeing the results, I couldn't be bothered with paying more and waiting longer for anything else. Just my $.02 though.

Ditto. .... but, had this been out when the suck-gate craze came on I would have probably bought.  Mission at $600 made DIY seem like a good option, but if I could have spent $200 and been done with it, I would have never messed with DIY.

Share this post


Link to post
SoDakSooner

I just relied on  every one elses research with DIY, and spent approx $30 and a couple of hours time, and still almost $200 ahead of the cheapest purchased one.  Now I realize some don't have the time or tools to make their own, but I just can't see paying that much for one.

Share this post


Link to post
EchelonMike
23 hours ago, NCVride said:

 I still prefer my homemade suck gate as its a great conversation piece. 

Agree - I made one too for about $30 bucks in parts and maybe a few hours at the most of my time.  It sticks so hard I stopped attaching a rope tether to it when I was worried it might fall off.  So far it works great.

This new model does look interesting - the suction attachment appears to be some sort of twist-turn?  That could be nice.  

Share this post


Link to post
skyskier

I bought one on ebay very similar to the ones members here have made. I think it was 199.00 or so. It's the double suction cup thing. The paddle and frame looks like composite 1X6 from Lowes. Very smart when compared to that expensive plastic stuff.  I did have to router away some of the composite board to allow the suction lever to get all the way to 90 degrees. Otherwise it would not lock. Quite a big defect, but simple enough to fix. I bought the suction cup thing from eith harbor freight or northern tool....don't remember which, but the ebay one has WAY more suction.   

Share this post


Link to post
Burt77

Ok, folks.  I've tried this product.  I simply wasn't impressed.  I don't want to disparage the product,  but I did not get the results I was looking for. Here's the set up: 

2005 23LSV wake hull

All four hard ballast tanks full 

Manual wedge down 

Approximately 600-700 pounds in each rear locker 

650  pounds in the bow 

Swellwake gate on the starboard side for a portside wake 

varied between 10.7-12.2mph

 

I didn't have the push that I normally have. Nor did I have the height that I normally have.  This gate made steering the boat to the left virtually impossible.  It was actually dangerous to attempt to surf in our cove.   Had there been traffic I would've been in trouble. 

 

I have had very good results with my normal set up which is all four hard ballasts full, manual wedge down, 900 pounds in the port rear locker,  600 pounds on the port side seat, and 650 pounds in the bow. 

 

Again I don't want to disparage this product, but it simply did not work well for me. You may have different results. 

 

 I'm hoping Dave at swell wake won't have any issues refunding my money   

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
10 hours ago, Burt77 said:

Ok, folks.  I've tried this product.  I simply wasn't impressed.  I don't want to disparage the product,  but I did not get the results I was looking for. Here's the set up: 

2005 23LSV wake hull

All four hard ballast tanks full 

Manual wedge down 

Approximately 600-700 pounds in each rear locker 

650  pounds in the bow 

Swellwake gate on the starboard side for a portside wake 

varied between 10.7-12.2mph

 

I didn't have the push that I normally have. Nor did I have the height that I normally have.  This gate made steering the boat to the left virtually impossible.  It was actually dangerous to attempt to surf in our cove.   Had there been traffic I would've been in trouble. 

 

I have had very good results with my normal set up which is all four hard ballasts full, manual wedge down, 900 pounds in the port rear locker,  600 pounds on the port side seat, and 650 pounds in the bow. 

 

Again I don't want to disparage this product, but it simply did not work well for me. You may have different results. 

 

 I'm hoping Dave at swell wake won't have any issues refunding my money   

You need to play with the weight some more.  I would try less bow weight, more locker weight and list it slightly to port.  You are running more weight listed than you did with this...these products require you to run more weight than listed, not less.

Share this post


Link to post
Burt77

Then why does all literature say run 60/40 stern to bow weight ratio?  I'm already running approximately 70/30 stern to bow.  You're saying add more to stern?  Also what about the steering?  Turning left isn't a real option unless I put steering able under serious duress.  

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
5 hours ago, Burt77 said:

Then why does all literature say run 60/40 stern to bow weight ratio?  I'm already running approximately 70/30 stern to bow.  You're saying add more to stern?  Also what about the steering?  Turning left isn't a real option unless I put steering able under serious duress.  

Steering will be stiffer, but still doable.  This is all surf systems at speed.

Slow speed turning left will always suck regardless of the device UNLESS you get an automated system (not cheap).  Doesn't matter who is selling it.  Once you get a little speed, it will turn left without a problem.  There are some tricks going slow that will get it to turn left but it is a bit of a pain.

For my rig, I run 900 in each locker, 300 port, 500 midship, 300 bow for water ballast.  Also run 100lbs of lead up front and 100lbs under the back port and starboard seats, for 3200lbs total.  Plus all passengers on the port side (I typically only have 3 people on the boat).  I have a significantly smaller hull than you as well, so you will need more weight.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
racer808

I have a lot of problems with this particular company.  I feel their advertising is totally disingenuous if not out right deceitful.  All their videos imply you can't get a wave without their product & you need no weight.  In fact they state you don't need any extra ballast by using their gate.  Their videos show boats not listed or gated and present them like the surf wave so crappy till you add their gate, then suddenly viola you can surf.

I called them out on their advertising practices on FB & I think a moron is responding to me along with their moron friends or fake accounts.  Insisting because no one wants to list their boats anymore there is no sense in showing the wave any other way.  They also continue to argue that ballast is a thing of the past & I must not understand how their system works if I still run ballast, even after explaining I'm on my 3rd V drive & have used almost all surf system versions except NSS.  Then 5 people all start chiming in how they couldn't believe how big & long the wave was & that they didn't need any ballast at all.  Coincidentally they all seemed to have been out on a demo the same day with the owner......  I personally would spend double the amount on another system just to not deal with this idiot.

For the guy with GSA, I am finding less bow weight when I use GSA, a lot of bow weight when I use the suck gate.  For anyone wondering, I get two totally different types of waves running either system so we play around with both, pretty cool I have two drastically different & good waves on one boat!

       

Edited by racer808

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
10 hours ago, racer808 said:

I have a lot of problems with this particular company.  I feel their advertising is totally disingenuous if not out right deceitful.  All their videos imply you can't get a wave without their product & you need no weight.  In fact they state you don't need any extra ballast by using their gate.  Their videos show boats not listed or gated and present them like the surf wave so crappy till you add their gate, then suddenly viola you can surf.

I called them out on their advertising practices on FB & I think a moron is responding to me along with their moron friends or fake accounts.  Insisting because no one wants to list their boats anymore there is no sense in showing the wave any other way.  They also continue to argue that ballast is a thing of the past & I must not understand how their system works if I still run ballast, even after explaining I'm on my 3rd V drive & have used almost all surf system versions except NSS.  Then 5 people all start chiming in how they couldn't believe how big & long the wave was & that they didn't need any ballast at all.  Coincidentally they all seemed to have been out on a demo the same day with the owner......  I personally would spend double the amount on another system just to not deal with this idiot.

For the guy with GSA, I am finding less bow weight when I use GSA, a lot of bow weight when I use the suck gate.  For anyone wondering, I get two totally different types of waves running either system so we play around with both, pretty cool I have two drastically different & good waves on one boat!

       

Sounds like I need to troll their FB page. Funny that your suckgate needs bow weight. My Faux-nix Wakeshaper doesn't need a lot of bow weight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
racer808
8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Sounds like I need to troll their FB page. Funny that your suckgate needs bow weight. My Faux-nix Wakeshaper doesn't need a lot of bow weight.

 

Really?  My VLX with ghetto gate loved bow weight, we ran 750 up there.  My MB has a 650 sac up front but we only fill about half way if using GSA but fill it all the way if using suck gate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
4 hours ago, racer808 said:

Really?  My VLX with ghetto gate loved bow weight, we ran 750 up there.  My MB has a 650 sac up front but we only fill about half way if using GSA but fill it all the way if using suck gate.  

I think there is a difference in how these hulls respond based on the type of gates utilized.  I was running my locker full (about 500lbs) + 300 in the bow + 100lbs in lead.  I ended up moving the 100 of lead to the back of the boat - requires a bit more throttle but the wake got bigger without losing length.  

Share this post


Link to post
racer808
On 8/31/2016 at 9:39 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Sounds like I need to troll their FB page. Funny that your suckgate needs bow weight. My Faux-nix Wakeshaper doesn't need a lot of bow weight.

 

They banned me from commenting on their page since I was telling people about Tsunami wake & calling them out on their deceptive advertising.  Guess he doesn't like being challenged 

Share this post


Link to post
TimbrSS
On 8/26/2016 at 4:12 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Steering will be stiffer, but still doable.  This is all surf systems at speed.

Slow speed turning left will always suck regardless of the device UNLESS you get an automated system (not cheap).  Doesn't matter who is selling it.  Once you get a little speed, it will turn left without a problem.  There are some tricks going slow that will get it to turn left but it is a bit of a pain.

For my rig, I run 900 in each locker, 300 port, 500 midship, 300 bow for water ballast.  Also run 100lbs of lead up front and 100lbs under the back port and starboard seats, for 3200lbs total.  Plus all passengers on the port side (I typically only have 3 people on the boat).  I have a significantly smaller hull than you as well, so you will need more weight.  

 

If you did a manual tab like wave control/gsa style, you will have an easier time steering at idle (80%), than you do with a manual gate style system. Gsa doesn't retract at low speed.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...