Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis pricing on new boats

ConnollyCrew

Any input on the type/ % discount on an Axis boat would be appreciated. I am about to sell my 23 LSV and buy an Axis. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance gang. 

Why are you bailing on the LSV?  I think margins are tighter on Axis and as I recall 10-15% off MSRP is what I heard.  Which Axis are you looking at?

$72.5K for a T23 at the boat show inJanuary.  

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Why are you bailing on the LSV?  I think margins are tighter on Axis and as I recall 10-15% off MSRP is what I heard.  Which Axis are you looking at?

$72.5K for a T23 at the boat show inJanuary.  

I love my LSV and it is my dream boat. I flip boats every season or two. It's time to own an Axis. Simple 

I will demo a T22 and T23

Edited by ConnollyCrew
5 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

2015 A22 70k even.  Sp3 and so forth.  I think I was 15-18% under msrp.  Bought in February.  How do you do on tradein/resale of your boat on a 1-2yr cycle?

I don't trade, I sell outright then buy.

On 8/10/2016 at 4:56 AM, ConnollyCrew said:

I love my LSV and it is my dream boat. I flip boats every season or two. It's time to own an Axis. Simple 

I will demo a T22 and T23

Let us know how you don't like having the power wedge 2...Axis would be on my radar but this has always been a deal breaker for me.

13 hours ago, Fman said:

Let us know how you don't like having the power wedge 2...Axis would be on my radar but this has always been a deal breaker for me.

Sooo wrong...

Seriosuly shawn?  Your crazy dude...as much as I respect your opinions, sorry man I am not buying that.  Not to mention the lift feature you never experienced with your '14.  You also had the old dual actuator, the single hydraulic is ten fold better.  To each is own but it would drive me crazy not being able to fine tune wakes both for surf and wakeboarding.

How funny too, I just saw a thread about the manual wedge breaking the other day...it ain't fool proof either.

A "modern" manual wedge breaking?  Please post a link!  Sure, the old ones (early 2000s) were prone to shearing bolts, but a welded floater?  Never heard of it.  Not saying it can't happen (first time for everything) but I've just never seen/heard of it.

I hear that "fine tuning" argument a lot, but in my personal experience there is a "best" and a lot of "not so good".  I mean sure you can crank the wedge WAAAY up and make a short tall wall of a surf wave, but that's not the wave I like to ride at all, so that's "tuning" that's unnecessary to *me.*  Though I see enough people here and on the interwebs generally super stoked on their 7' long "chest high" (LOL) wave that I do understand others like it that way.

Granted  I've also never been on a boat with a supercharged engine that could push a weighted boat at 12mph with the wedge in max drag mode.  So as with PW2, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing (behind the boat or at the gas station).

As for wakeboarding, sadly, center tank full @23 is plenty for this guy.  I can make it bigger, but I end up getting intimidated by the wake and won't charge it.  So maybe there is some tuning headroom to be done on the WB wake, but again, for me, its not important.

Srsly tho, for me, having done both, I am definitely down with manual wedge.  Lets face it tho, I like analog gauges and tactile switches too.  And speakers for the captain.  So I'm definitely a bit of a contrarian.  The only thing that interests me about a PW2 is the lift feature.  It's like me driving a 15 year old beast of a truck.... I'm probably better off not knowing what I'm missing!

46 minutes ago, Fman said:

Ya I thought shawn also mentioned in a different post "platinum axis edition" with pw2 and gas assisted shocks on tower???? Maybe it was a different shawndoggy?

Not a boat I want (OK, maybe the tower), but rather a boat to fill that gap between blinged out wakesetter and stripped down axis.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

A "modern" manual wedge breaking?  Please post a link!  Sure, the old ones (early 2000s) were prone to shearing bolts, but a welded floater?  Never heard of it.  Not saying it can't happen (first time for everything) but I've just never seen/heard of it.

I hear that "fine tuning" argument a lot, but in my personal experience there is a "best" and a lot of "not so good".  I mean sure you can crank the wedge WAAAY up and make a short tall wall of a surf wave, but that's not the wave I like to ride at all, so that's "tuning" that's unnecessary to *me.*  Though I see enough people here and on the interwebs generally super stoked on their 7' long "chest high" (LOL) wave that I do understand others like it that way.

Granted  I've also never been on a boat with a supercharged engine that could push a weighted boat at 12mph with the wedge in max drag mode.  So as with PW2, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing (behind the boat or at the gas station).

As for wakeboarding, sadly, center tank full @23 is plenty for this guy.  I can make it bigger, but I end up getting intimidated by the wake and won't charge it.  So maybe there is some tuning headroom to be done on the WB wake, but again, for me, its not important.

Srsly tho, for me, having done both, I am definitely down with manual wedge.  Lets face it tho, I like analog gauges and tactile switches too.  And speakers for the captain.  So I'm definitely a bit of a contrarian.  The only thing that interests me about a PW2 is the lift feature.  It's like me driving a 15 year old beast of a truck.... I'm probably better off not knowing what I'm missing!

Not a boat I want (OK, maybe the tower), but rather a boat to fill that gap between blinged out wakesetter and stripped down axis.

Here ya go...

And we are definitely in two different camps.... I have a son and a few other guys I ride with who are very picky on wakeboard wakes.  And they ride at a level that justifies it.  There is a big difference between running a wedge at low setting to three clicks up.  You can really change the transition and steepness of the wake. The 2015 dash is also much easier to actually set the wedge position than the prior maliview screen.  Not to mention for surfing changing the lip of the wave.

Like I said, to each is own but going from a pw2 to a manual wedge is a total downgrade in my opinion.

Edited by Fman

Fman, first off that thread is about "my ham fisted friend broke something on my boat," not "help, my wedge quit working, what do I do" (as is frequently seen with PW (at least the lenco actuated PWs)). Second, it was just the sensor that broke, not the wedge that broke.  In the olden days there weren't a sensor, and it's not hard to tell when the wedge is down.  The indicator light is nice to have for when you float after a set and forget about the wedge being down, but it's not hard to figure out whether the wedge is up or down when driving the boat.  The indicator light is also a relatively recent "add" .... thousands upon thousands of manual wedge boats are out there without indicator lights.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Shawn, it's an electronic part on a manual wedge that broke off.  You aked for an example and I gave it to you.  Sure the manual wedge would still work but it's a broken part that needs to be repaired.  You would also be dealing with an alarm all day on the lake.  Apparently this part is easy to break if all it takes is someone reaching down and moving a lever improperly.  I was surprised to even see they have an electronic component on a manual wedge.  My point is even the newer manual wedges are not fool proof.

The op is considering going from a 2015 malibu lsv into the axis.  That is like going from a lexus into a toyota.  He is loosing the pw2 which is a tool in his toolbox to significantly change the shape of the wake.  Some might not need this tool, but many (like myslelf) use it all the time.

Lets also be honest, we all know your prior 2014 LSV was a totally different boat than his 2015 LSV....dash, pw2, no MP engine...your experience with a first gen wedge compared to the 2015 pw2/touch screen dash the op has is not apples to apples.  The new dash makes adjustment so much easier and user friendly in comparison to the older maliview.

Regardless, lets move on....

I will be interested in hearing how this works out for him if he goes into the Axis.  Would be a good test case with a newer 2015+ pw2 malibu.

And I am glad it is not an issue for you having a manual wedge, nothing worse than having buyers regret.

Edited by Fman

Ignorance is bliss I guess, my 15 A22 has the floating wedge, don't use it much.  Typically surf at 11.4, rear 750's burped full, hard full 950 bow sac.  as full as can be, and a 540 sumo in center bow walkway.  Am still learning to pump, and have pumped back from 15' back on hyperlite idlewood. 195-200lbs.  

I rarely use my wedge as well. I've never used a power wedge so I have no idea what I'm missing but when I do want to use the wedge I have no issue in manually operating it. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:54 PM, robbennett said:

The guys on my lake with  brand new Axis seem to have a lot of quality issues compared to Malibu. 

That's interesting.... the same people build them on the same assembly line.  Do you think the workers decide to not work as well on the Axis? 

I prefer the wakeboard wake without wedge (supplement with more ballast). Surf wave with wedge.

1 minute ago, bamabonners said:

That's interesting.... the same people build them on the same assembly line.  Do you think the workers decide to not work as well on the Axis? 

Actually, my dealer says they see WAY LESS Axis boats coming back in for issues, compared to Malibus.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem with going from Malibu to Axis.  Yes, there were a few conveniences that were different, but I don't feel that I was missing out on anything.  I never felt that I was less comfortable or couldn't perform on the water because I was in an Axis. 

• Like 2

I guy who pulls off new each season decides to go cheaper, hmmm!  Why not go down. One season he likes it or he's back up.  Wouldn't we all really want to hear from him about 2018?

my hero surfer my wife says, "wedge please"

Edited by granddaddy55