Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crank but no start Scooby Doo Mystery

proudboatowner

You stated you have pressure at fuel rail.  But how much pressure?   From my experience too much pressure or too little and the engine won't start.

Edited by Shastasurf

Check the injector pulse, you can get test lights for this.  Something strange is going on here based on your descriptions. Got air, had spark, should still have it, hopefully at the right time, have fuel pressure, but check for injectors pulsing, and if you've got compression it should run.  

On August 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM, proudboatowner said:

Haven't actually tried that. We've kicked it around as an idea but we're not sure about the relative safety of the procedure.

I would give this a try. If it runs off of ether (starter fluid) then you know you have a fuel related issue. If it won't you have a spark/air issue.

Have you pulled the spark plugs and checked them yet? You stated they are original, not saying they all failed at once but if they are all wet with gas, fouled, bright white, etc it will help your troubleshooting path...

*edit* saw where you already tried starter fluid.

what does the engine oil look like? Last time it was changed? Does it have a strong gas smell (leaking injector/over fueling)? 

Edited by Kmfish87
15 hours ago, proudboatowner said:

Thanks for the assistance.  Now I am crazy confused.   We tried starting fluid, and the condition remains.  Crank with no start.

Don't use starting fluid in fuel injected engines.  Engines with cylinder fuel injection have dry intake manifolds and you can cause a nasty explosion by introducing fuel there.

2015 should still be under the engine warranty - has the dealer got a moment to look at it?

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Don't use starting fluid in fuel injected engines.  Engines with cylinder fuel injection have dry intake manifolds and you can cause a nasty explosion by introducing fuel there.

They also say not to use it on Diesel engines. If you use a reasonable amount (a few quick sprays) you won't have any issues. You should have a fire extinguisher handy on a boat anyways...

1 minute ago, Kmfish87 said:

They also say not to use it on Diesel engines. If you use a reasonable amount (a few quick sprays) you won't have any issues. You should have a fire extinguisher handy on a boat anyways...

Small consolation when you blow up your engine that used to have a warranty on it.

In any event, I'd be suspecting ECM/crank/cam sensor if you are seeing spark but are getting no start (assuming you haven't had something catastrophic like a timing chain failure)  If the injectors were firing you ought to be smelling a lot of fuel stink from the exhaust - do you?

Edited by oldjeep

Do you have teenage boys?

Seriously though, how much gas do you have?  I changed the engine and gas lines on mine a couple of years ago and swore it was getting fuel, but it was not getting enough to fire.

• 3 weeks later...

So I took the boat in, and everything checked out.  Fuel spark and air.   It turned out that the new cap and rotor was also malfunctioning, so it started up as soon as another new cap and rotor were installed.  Thank you all for your time and effort. 

• Like 2