Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New guy, new (to me) boat.

Fffrank

Welcome from Colorado.  I remember the dreaded budget creep I went through when I bought in fall of 2014.  It sure is easy to spend way more than you wanted to.

Cangrats and welcome, I don't think much is wrong with the 2004, I have solid 2001. Look into a suckgate that seems like it's just as good as the surfgate(I rarely rarely surf) . Oh and pics of the new ride

Congrats on the new boat.  I'm sure the veterans around here will applaud that you included a pic in your first post, even if it's not of the new to you boat that is coming soon.  There is no shortage of help spending your money on this site.  I certainly spent more than I originally thought when I got my 2006 back in April....and planning to spend more on off-season projects.

I will say the best investment I made was to become a supporter of the site because then you get access to discount codes that more than paid for the membership.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet!  That fact that it's been babied cosmetically probably means the mechanicals have been well taken care of as well.

Before we all start helping you spend money, what is the current ballast setup, if any?  Stock head unit with Sony speakers, or upgraded?

1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

Sweet!  That fact that it's been babied cosmetically probably means the mechanicals have been well taken care of as well.

Before we all start helping you spend money, what is the current ballast setup, if any?  Stock head unit with Sony speakers, or upgraded?

It has the stock MLS.  I'm still digging into what exactly that means -- it looks like hard tanks in the rear lockers, belly and bow?  I need to figure out if it's best to remove these and start with bags or just add bags in addition to the tanks.  

It's a Sony stereo but I'm not sure if it's stock.  It's in the armrest with a remote in the transom and remote at the drivers seat.  Seems like cheap Sony XPLOD speakers. I'll be gutting the stereo and battery system and upgrading anyway so I didn't really care.  It will get a Blue Sea Add-A-Battery ACR/Switch, (3) group 29s with proper cabling and fusing, REV10s on the tower, Exile or WetSounds EQ + Bluetooth.... and I'm not entirely sure on cabin speakers, yet.  WetSounds would be nice but not sure I can justify the money when I can go Kicker for about half.

I'm a big fan of PPI Phantom Amps (or NVX....) and don't see any reason to go different on this project.  There will be a bunch of them. ;) 

This will all take time, obviously.  

First priorities are to get it surfing and to get rid of the STUPID STUPID STUPID anchor light.  There has to be one that mounts on the tower, right??

Just now, TallRedRider said:

Which engine?  some guys complain about the Hammerhead 6.2, but I think those rumors are overexaggerated.  

Congrats on the new boat!  

Just the regular Monsoon.  I was hoping to hold out for one with the hammerhead but the right boat just didn't come up at the right time.  I don't really want to divulge what I paid but it was at what I would consider the lower-end of the market range for these boats.  I would have paid more for a banging stereo or the Hammerhead, but outside of that didn't really care what options it had.

This does have a newer Perfect Pass, heater and hot-water shower.  Those were all bonuses, obviously!

34 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I I'm not entirely sure on cabin speakers, yet.  WetSounds would be nice but not sure I can justify the money when I can go Kicker for about half.

First priorities are to get it surfing and to get rid of the STUPID STUPID STUPID anchor light.  There has to be one that mounts on the tower, right??

Just the regular Monsoon.

FYI, the cabin side speaker locations will accommodate 8" Kicker speakers.  The dash speakers are limited to 6.5s and you'll need spacers to keep new speakers from bottoming out on the fiberglass below the dash surface.

My Illusion XS has an anchor light at the top of the arch.  Yours should have a spot for one - and maybe existing wiring.

You'll want a new larger and lower pitch prop.  Lots of opinions on TMC - but little data - on what is best for what boat, engine, and application.

50 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I don't really want to divulge what I paid but it was at what I would consider the lower-end of the market range for these boats.  I would have paid more for a banging stereo or the Hammerhead, but outside of that didn't really care what options it had.

This does have a newer Perfect Pass, heater and hot-water shower.  Those were all bonuses, obviously!

The ad is still up on OnlyInboards so it isn't to tough to figure out ;)  Congrats on the boat

Plan on using it in the river?

Edited by oldjeep

Congrats and welcome from OK.  My brother Just moved to Hudson from Rapid City SD.  He is a VP for one of the hospital groups based out of Stillwater.  I'll be up there for the Vikes/Cowboys game in a few months, and hope to get some duck hunting in this fall. Do you hit any lake in particular, or the river?  Sadly, he had his boat in storage there and it was stolen.  They recovered the hull and trailer, but the optimax, kicker, graphs and tackle were all gone.  Obviously not a wakeboard boat.

Depending on your needs, pull the hard tanks and throw in bags.  Stock MLS won't be nearly enough to surf if that is what you want to do. 

if surfing Make a suction gate of some sort. Quite a few threads on here about how to do that.  A lot cheaper than a fabbed up system and ours works great.  1500 lbs and center tank full(VLX though) with a bit of weight up front and a waist high wave with a ton of push.  We board as well, and typically run about 400 in each locker and 400 lbs in the bow and it makes a nice wave.

Sounds like you have the stereo/battery thing handled.  The stock inboats are terrible. I am not a big audiophile, but my polk mm651's sound a heck of a lot better than factory.  I'm pushing 100 watts per channel and they sound ok, but they may be a bit low brau for your setup.

Shower and heater in Wi is a definite plus.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal.

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The ad is still up on OnlyInboards so it isn't to tough to figure out ;)  Congrats on the boat

That was a great price, even if you paid the listed price.  Was it a salt water boat?  If so you might want to go over it carefully for corrosion issues.

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yes.  I live in downtown Hudson so it's hard to justify going elsewhere.

So....  you found the ad.  I paid less.  :rockon:

19 minutes ago, SoDakSooner said:

Congrats and welcome from OK.  My brother Just moved to Hudson from Rapid City SD.  He is a VP for one of the hospital groups based out of Stillwater.  I'll be up there for the Vikes/Cowboys game in a few months, and hope to get some duck hunting in this fall. Do you hit any lake in particular, or the river?  Sadly, he had his boat in storage there and it was stolen.  They recovered the hull and trailer, but the optimax, kicker, graphs and tackle were all gone.  Obviously not a wakeboard boat.

Depending on your needs, pull the hard tanks and throw in bags.  Stock MLS won't be nearly enough to surf if that is what you want to do. 

if surfing Make a suction gate of some sort. Quite a few threads on here about how to do that.  A lot cheaper than a fabbed up system and ours works great.  1500 lbs and center tank full(VLX though) with a bit of weight up front and a waist high wave with a ton of push.  We board as well, and typically run about 400 in each locker and 400 lbs in the bow and it makes a nice wave.

Sounds like you have the stereo/battery thing handled.  The stock inboats are terrible. I am not a big audiophile, but my polk mm651's sound a heck of a lot better than factory.  I'm pushing 100 watts per channel and they sound ok, but they may be a bit low brau for your setup.

Shower and heater in Wi is a definite plus.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal.

Already have a suck-gate so that will be a good place to start.  I'd love to install martinarchers system but that's towards the bottom of the list right now.....

95% of the time we are on the St. Croix.  Very quick/easy for us to get in and out of there.

14 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

That was a great price, even if you paid the listed price.  Was it a salt water boat?  If so you might want to go over it carefully for corrosion issues.

Yes, I got a great price. ;)

Not a salt water boat.  Was originally sold in Ohio and then moved out east.  Seller had it on a lift on an inland river.  No signs of salt water or corrosion anywhere.  It's crazy how clean it is.  And no rust at all on the trailer.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Yes.  I live in downtown Hudson so it's hard to justify going elsewhere.

So....  you found the ad.  I paid less.  :rockon:

Already have a suck-gate so that will be a good place to start.  I'd love to install martinarchers system but that's towards the bottom of the list right now.....

95% of the time we are on the St. Croix.  Very quick/easy for us to get in and out of there.

Yes, I got a great price. ;)

Not a salt water boat.  Was originally sold in Ohio and then moved out east.  Seller had it on a lift on an inland river.  No signs of salt water or corrosion anywhere.  It's crazy how clean it is.  And no rust at all on the trailer.

Enjoy, the river is a decent place to boat if you have a good launch to use.  Never tried the Hudson one, we use the public on in Hastings on the Mississippi just below where the St. Croix joins in.   Haven't been on the river for a few years, we used to like to tie up near the wall in Stillwater before all the sand got flushed in there and reduced the depth so much.  Kinnikinnick is a great place to anchor up as long as you use the southern side.

Edited by oldjeep
24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Enjoy, the river is a decent place to boat if you have a good launch to use.  Never tried the Hudson one, we use the public on in Hastings on the Mississippi just below where the St. Croix joins in.   Haven't been on the river for a few years, we used to like to tie up near the wall in Stillwater before all the sand got flushed in there and reduced the depth so much.  Kinnikinnick is a great place to anchor up as long as you use the southern side.

Absolutely.  I've spent my whole life on the river.  Surfing and wakeboarding are out on the weekend but during the week we usually find good water pretty easily.  

Stillwater has a public dock now -- there's parking for 8-10 boats for free.  It's first come, first served but it's usually not a terribly long wait.  

If your boat is like my bud's 2006 23lsv, the mls is 250lb tanks in the lockers and bow, and a 400lb sac in the ski locker. It's not enough to surf, even with a gate and wedge.

10 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

If your boat is like my bud's 2006 23lsv, the mls is 250lb tanks in the lockers and bow, and a 400lb sac in the ski locker. It's not enough to surf, even with a gate and wedge.

That sounds about right.  I've been too busy to even look at it.  I'll post up pictures and ask for advice when I get there.  I was fully planning on replacing or doing a significant upgrade to this system.  I know it won't surf as-is.  I've got some old-school throw the pump over the side 800s to get me through this year.

Took a mini cruise tonight and finally dug around in the boat.  Some observations/questions.

- The stereo SUCKS.  It's horrible.  We actually laughed at it.  This will be a total gut-job.

- Rear Ballast -- There are hard tanks in the rear hatches. They are above the floor. Do I remove these and replace with 900s?  1100s?  Obviously, I want as much weight as possible.  What else do I need..... new pumps?  Fittings? 

- Front ballast -- Pretty surprised that I actually have ZERO storage in the front of the boat.  Under the cushions is just a carpeted board.  I assume there's a tank under there.  I'm fine keeping it but is that the best solution?

- Mid-ship ballast -- No idea where this is and/or how I fill it.  I have 3 ballast switches on the dash....  is this being filled with the front?

- Cooler -- SUPER surprised how big the cooler is but it doesn't seem insulated very well.  How does it do?  Any easy/cheap upgrades? 

- Cover.  It's a factory cover and needs some adjusting and/or mainteannce.  The velcro around the tower legs is shot.  The straps are in sketchy shape.  The poles for sure are up for replacement.  Thinking (the boat lives outside) I should just invest in a new cover.  Evolution?  Bakes?  Opinions? 

And you're off!  Enjoy the boat this weekend - after changing all the fluids.

Then peruse this site for answers/opinions on the stereo, ballast, cooler, and cover.  How much do you want to spend?

One things for sure, the cooler is not a cooler and you need more rear ballast to surf.

I have a very similar boat and just got done (well, that's what I told my wife!) with mods.  I'm kinda a 80% guy meaning that I'll pay for quality but not for the absolute best - which costs twice the 80%.  PM with your pone number if you want to talk.