Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX

Jondavis08

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2011 VTX.  I know the Ski wake will be great for us but how's the wakeboading and surf wakes?  I'm a above average skier, intermediate wakeboarder and beginner surfer(hoping to do a lot more).  I really don't want to get anything where the ski wake is too hard or big and this is why I like the VTX.  I plan on adding some plug and play to the rear lockers and have made a suck gate.  Has anyone come up with a good ballast set up for the VTX?  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Jondavis08 said:

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2011 VTX.  I know the Ski wake will be great for us but how's the wakeboading and surf wakes?  I'm a above average skier, intermediate wakeboarder and beginner surfer(hoping to do a lot more).  I really don't want to get anything where the ski wake is too hard or big and this is why I like the VTX.  I plan on adding some plug and play to the rear lockers and have made a suck gate.  Has anyone come up with a good ballast set up for the VTX?  Thanks!

I love my 2013 VTX. I would get a 13 -15. It has surf gate--plug and play ballast plus center removable pylon for slalom and it will ski the course. Just a great all around boat!!!

Does the 2011 have bow ballast?  Make sure you have all 4 tanks.  750's in the rear, and your makeshift surfgate and you'll be good to go. 

21 hours ago, Jondavis08 said:

Also make sure the boat you are looking at has the diamond hull and not the wake hull if you are looking for the best ski wake.

12 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Does the 2011 have bow ballast?  Make sure you have all 4 tanks.  750's in the rear, and your makeshift surfgate and you'll be good to go. 

How big was the bow tank?  Seems like it was pretty small.  I have a 400 lb sac in the bow walkway and 150 lbs lead weight in the nose.  750's in the rear and another 400 lb sac on the passenger seat depending on passenger weight.  Plus the the Mission Delta surf tab.

In my 2012 it is supposedly 350lbs - center is 500 and the 2 rears are 200 each.. I don't use any of them, the through-hull  valves are all shut.  Used to use the bow tank for skiing until I realized that while the wake looked better with bow weight that it felt the same without it.

Edited by oldjeep

I do not think there is any ballast in the bow.  Not sure if I could do a plug and play there.  Reason I'm upgrading is so I never have to fill a ballast bag again :)  Would love to step up to a 2013 but the price is a little high.  How does the VTX compare to a Sport Nautique 200 or any other cross over?  I'm going to try to ski behind a Axis A20 next week.  I've heard mix reviews on that...

1 minute ago, Jondavis08 said:

I do not think there is any ballast in the bow.  Not sure if I could do a plug and play there.  Reason I'm upgrading is so I never have to fill a ballast bag again :)  Would love to step up to a 2013 but the price is a little high.  How does the VTX compare to a Sport Nautique 200 or any other cross over?  I'm going to try to ski behind a Axis A20 next week.  I've heard mix reviews on that...

hmmm if you are getting a VTX you always have to fill ballast sacks to get good surf waves and wake board wakes....now you can add reversible pumps so you don't have to manually fill the bags.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
11 minutes ago, Jondavis08 said:

Easy to tell by looking at a picture.  If there is no center cushion up front or there is a cushion but no block off plate then there is no front ballast.  This 2011 looks like it has front ballast based on the pictures

http://mninboard.com/boat-data/?winboats_id=US-MB2F4298F111&boatref=2011_Malibu_Wakesetter%20VTX

This one has the center cushion but you can see under it - so no tank

http://mninboard.com/boat-data/?winboats_id=US-MB2F1546I910&boatref=2010_Malibu_Wakesetter%2020%20VTX

Only other boat that is similar is the Sport 200 - pretty rare (around here)  and somewhat smaller than a VTX inside.  Friend of mine has one and he likes it, I've never skied behind it but would expect it to be as good as the VTX for that.

Edited by oldjeep
8 minutes ago, Jondavis08 said:

The A20 can put out a small ski wake, but I believe the difference is that it is quite harder than what you find behind a true crossover or ski boat.  This pic was around 30 mph with only me in the boat.  The ballast was either empty or there was a very slight fill in the front bag.

UA22bnF.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jondavis08 said:

Our bow sac is plumbed to a reversible pump with the hoses going under the driver side dash.   We only have to throw a pump over the side for the passenger sac.  I've thought about plumbing another long sac under the passenger seat to eliminate that too.  Not sure at what point I've gone "ninja".