Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to stop vinyl rip?

bjgreenbucknell

Hey crew,

my sunpad has some of that silver crosshatched pattern vinyl on it, and it's slowly starting to rip. I don't think that stuff holds up to well to traffic because all three of my back seats have the stuff too and they all cracked and ripped on just that one material. 

Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to stop the rip from growing? I saw some clear patches and some vinyl repair kits online. 

Thanks!

Dont buy the vinyl glue. I tried the stuff and after a month it turned yellow and looked awful. Ended up replacing.

I have had some success with stitching it (seen people use fishing line for strength, good thread be ok IMO) if the vinyl is still pliable. Not the prettiest but it will stop it from getting worse. 

Are you talking about this vinyl?  I hate that stuff, it looks good anywhere that doesn't see much sunlight or traffic.  But my sun pad and 3 rear seat bottoms are deteriorating quickly.  I've glued some parts and it holds up but then rips again in other sections.  Weighing out options on how to replace it, I don't want that vinyl again, but alot of the boat is still in good shape so replacing just those pieces (with a substitution grey vinyl) would look awkward....? 

20140706_181514_zpsazwf64nb.jpg

Yep that's exactly the problem on my boat. When I redo the seats I will not be using it again. It's so bad I kind of feel like Malibu should cover it. 

7 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

Dont buy the vinyl glue. I tried the stuff and after a month it turned yellow and looked awful. Ended up replacing.

I have had some success with stitching it (seen people use fishing line for strength, good thread be ok IMO) if the vinyl is still pliable. Not the prettiest but it will stop it from getting worse. 

I thought about stitching but it seems so brittle! So far I just tried to leave it alone but its definitely getting worse now!

22 hours ago, bjgreenbucknell said:

Yep that's exactly the problem on my boat. When I redo the seats I will not be using it again. It's so bad I kind of feel like Malibu should cover it. 

I agree but it will never happen.  You can just feel it and know that's such an inferior material compared to the rest.  And the durability of a cushion is only as good as it's weakest link.

• Like 1

I was told that Super Glue works great on vinyl by Gabriel Garcia to help with tears  highly recommend him if your looking for someone to redo your skins at end of season 

5 hours ago, h2oratJR said:

I was told that Super Glue works great on vinyl by Gabriel Garcia to help with tears  highly recommend him if your looking for someone to redo your skins at end of season 

Mine are glued now. 2012 VLX. Glue will definitely bond vinyl. It may tear next to the bond but not where glued. I put it next to the Bead where the perforations are starting to tear. Slightly roll the bead over and glue it to the seat vinyl. Don't over apply the glue so it doesn't seep out and show.

• Like 1