Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High engine temp, then returned to normal

19 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Yes both risers were getting hot.  

Hoses have been the same for 5 years, issue started mid season this year.  

Impeller is fine.  I pulled the impeller out 3 weeks ago and swapped in another, thinking maybe the hub was spinning.  (Swapped in my used/back up impeller from this Spring's replacement.)

Is it possible you installed the impeller with the blades/fins in the wrong orientation where it isnt flowing as much water as it should? Just a thought. I would still check the circulation pump just in case.

9 minutes ago, Kmfish87 said:

Is it possible you installed the impeller with the blades/fins in the wrong orientation where it isnt flowing as much water as it should?

Doesn't matter, they flip themselves around the right way when that happens.

Check the hose clamps on your suction hose...the hose itself is about a $20 part.  I had an issue very similar to this and a new suction hose fixed it.

@blk93jeepzj:  There are a batch of circulation pumps that tend to fail, the plastic impeller cracks.  IIRC the era was mid 2000 so yours could be in that group.  You might also want to check for any corrosion buildup in the passages leading up to and including the exhaust manifolds.

Good news!  Found the issue.

Thanks @oldjeep and @minnmarker , turns out the circulation pump was the culprit.  I purchased an engine in early 2012 to replace the engine that was originally in the boat (bought the boat knowing that it had a cracked block d/t not winterizing).  Upon inspection this circulation pump was one of the pumps that fell into the recall that Indmar issued a Service Bulletin on (First five numbers under 12027, part number stamped on mine 11320P03U).  I purchased my engine from marineenginedepot.com , talked to them this am and they too were aware of the recall.  I am being shipped a replacement circulation pump and they just want the old one back once I receive the new one.  

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in on the issue.  Getting closer to the winterization date here and did not want to have to put her down for the long winter slumber without the issue being taken case of.       

Robert

IMG_3757.JPGIMG_3760.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally received the new circulation pump.  Replaced circulation pump, added a new J hose with the spring inside since it was off and a new supply hose to the raw water pump since the original was starting to feel soft.  Dropped the boat in over the weekend and finally was able to run without an overheating issue.  Should be good to go for next year now.  Thanks again to everyone for their help!

• Like 3