Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Setup 07 LSV with delta wakeshaper

calilsv

Got some questions on my surf setup, I've searched plenty but cant seem to find matching info for my particular hull non listed.

Just getting in to surfing after buying the delta wakeshaper.  
07 LSV with Factory MLS setup full. wedge 2 clicks up
900's in the back compartments, 550 on the the floor in the walk through, and 550 in the bow.  
Wave seems really big with plenty of push but not that long.  I really haven't surfed that much but have no problem going ropeless, currently riding at 11.6mph.  What I'm trying to get is a longer wave, and I know everyone's going to say add more bow weight.  Problem with that is with the current setup just getting off the gas will pretty much dunk the nose and get a little water over the bow.  It's not that much so i'm not really worried about that.
Do I have too much too much weight in the back? wedge too much for this setup?  

Heading out to the lake this weekend and trying to dial it in a little more.  I got plenty of sacks to try and get this setup correct before I hard plumb anything, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure the 23' and longer boats like so much weight forward of the center point.  I just surfed my buddies 07lsv this weekend and we filled all stock and his 900lb piggy backs in the rears.  He has the Wakemakers GSA and we were easily riding 10-15' behind the swim platform.  If you're not getting that then I'd dump the 550's and see what you get.  Then maybe fill one in the walkthru and one of the rear seat slid over to the surf side.

Couple things you can try when your out this weekend. Try it with no wedge at all, we have found that the wedge makes it steeper and not as long when we slam it with that much weight. Try adjusting your speed up a little bit more, goofy side we ride about 12 mph and it's pretty long. We do load the playpen with extra ballast and also put a bag on surf side seat in the rear, then move people until the rub rail is on the water. Try a few of these things without a rider so you can make the adjustments with out having to stop. You'll get it,just tinker around with it. Yes I know mine has a different hull but the concept is the same and when the pocket gets longer surfing just gets better. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Idaorr are you listing you boat? There is no way my rub rail even comes close to the water even with all the extra weight in the rear.  The platform is barely under water since I have a good amount in the front.  

4 hours ago, calilsv said:

Thanks for the responses so far.

Idaorr are you listing you boat? There is no way my rub rail even comes close to the water even with all the extra weight in the rear.  The platform is barely under water since I have a good amount in the front.  

Not listing it. We fill all MLS (4), wakemakers 750 lbs in both rear compartment, older wakemakers bag maybe 550 to 750 lbs on the surf side rear seat (so kind of listed we roll it from side to side), usually 750 to 1100 lbs in the front(this will vary according to the amount of people on board), ghetto gate on non surf side and no wedge. We play with the speed and front ballast till we get the length and push we like. Oh yea and I surf with some big guys and I mean big, you put 2 of them on the back deck and the rub rail is touching water when we are moving, just setting still I would say the swim platform is ankle deep. How deep is the water your in? Shallow water can really effect your wave also. Hope that helps.

I agree a bit more speed should help.  03' 25 LSV we always surfed 10.7.  even11.2 felt to fast now with Delta 11.4 and the thing is a monster.  Seemed like 20.7 had a bit of bow bounce now at 11.4 it is smooth

We were in shallow water, but the lake is deep so I'll find out how it really looks this weekend. I'll play around with different weighting and figure it our.  Maybe I just suck and it's longer than I remember.  Thanks

5 minutes ago, calilsv said:

We were in shallow water, but the lake is deep so I'll find out how it really looks this weekend.

15 feet is our minimum. Less than 10 and wake is not good at all.

51 minutes ago, calilsv said:

I know the deeper the better but I mostly boat in the CA Delta and I'm lucky if I find 20ft, mostly in the 10ft range unfortunately.  

Yea 10 ft of water is really going to hurt your wave length and height. Like I said when you go out get the set up the way you think is best and don't put a rider out first, then play with your speed and with moving people to the front and rear of the boat to see were you might need more or less ballast or speed. It was actually pretty fun finally seeing the wave develop and then riding it. You'll get it, then you'll be out on it and it won't fill right and you point at one of your kids or buddies and tell them to move over and it just changes the wave that easy. Find some deeper water and go and have fun. Post some pics maybe it's not as bad as you think.

Just throwing this out there but try emptying the rear ballast some more. And listing a bit to the surf side... Worked wonders on my (shorter) V25 hull.

What a difference the depth made on the wave, was able to keep the wedge up since the the wave got taller with the water depth.  Still have 2 beginner boards, hyperlight broadcasts, and had to used the smaller one because the bigger one was too fast.   Didn't get a change to play around as much as I would like but putting people on the surfing side helped a good amount.  I think I may need to loose some weight in the back and that will lengthen the pocket more.  This time we only ran a 350 in the walkway and a 350 in the bow.  Thanks for all the replies

Edited by calilsv

Good to hear you had a good day and you're starting to figure out your wave. Dumping weight from the back should help with the length, or you need to add more to front. Did you mess around at all with the speed to see if that would lengthen it? Sounds like you're on your way and should only get better from here. Post up some pics let's see it.

Edited by Idaorr
  • 2 weeks later...

Just getting back to this.  for the previous question we upped the speed to 11.8 with the wedge up and that seems like it had good push and easy to go ropeless.  Getting back to a lake this weekend and will try a little different setup.  Not going to fill the rear bags full, but will fill the surf side more. add 700 to the front in 2 350 bags, no bags on the floor.  I'll keep you guys informed.  

What I'm trying to accomplish is get this setup dialed in and plumb in permanent hoses over the winter.  If I could I would like to just add a triangle bag in the bow and the 2 in the rear lockers, I hate having ballast all over the boat.

I use 750 on non surf side and 900 on other and it seems to be just enough list to help.  I would also like to just have bow bag but for some reason it likes it better in play pen.  I am going to do reversible pumps this winter and I think I will use a third pump with a y for bow sack and hose to reach anywhere else.  It just boggles my mind how different it is each time we go out so versatility with the pumps and such is what I am going to try to shoot for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2016 at 1:42 PM, calilsv said:

Just getting back to this.  for the previous question we upped the speed to 11.8 with the wedge up and that seems like it had good push and easy to go ropeless.  Getting back to a lake this weekend and will try a little different setup.  Not going to fill the rear bags full, but will fill the surf side more. add 700 to the front in 2 350 bags, no bags on the floor.  I'll keep you guys informed.  

What I'm trying to accomplish is get this setup dialed in and plumb in permanent hoses over the winter.  If I could I would like to just add a triangle bag in the bow and the 2 in the rear lockers, I hate having ballast all over the boat.

That setup works well my VLX. If you have a light load usually you can always toss some lead pop bags around too.