Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RONIX WAKESHAPER ON 99 Sunsetter LXI

ss1024

Hi 

I bought a ronix wakeshaper and put it on my 99 SS LXI.

I have to say the wake looks good, but i cant seem to surf on it.

I have 500lbs sac across the back, and a 500 lbs sac on the rear side i surf on.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make a better wake?

Just now, ss1024 said:

can you tell me your weight setup?

My hull is the V-drive configuration, so weighting it is different.  I run 900lbs in each rear locker.  300lbs under the port seat.  500 in the ski locker.  300 in the bow (all ballast is hidden).  I also have 300lbs of lead.  I put 100lbs in the front of the walkway in the bow under the filler cushion.  Depending on the rider, the other 200lbs are either evenly distributed under the rear seats or I move them over to the port side.  Also have a floating wedge...wedge is a must for this hull when surfing, otherwise it lacks push.

All of my sacs after after mkt sacs, so the boat gets a bit crowded.  The boat came with a pump into the middle storage are in front of the engine box, but no bladder.  I have a switch that can fill and empty it- anyone know what kind of bladder i could put in there?

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

My hull is the V-drive configuration, so weighting it is different.  I run 900lbs in each rear locker.  300lbs under the port seat.  500 in the ski locker.  300 in the bow (all ballast is hidden).  I also have 300lbs of lead.  I put 100lbs in the front of the walkway in the bow under the filler cushion.  Depending on the rider, the other 200lbs are either evenly distributed under the rear seats or I move them over to the port side.  Also have a floating wedge...wedge is a must for this hull when surfing, otherwise it lacks push.

The diamond hull or the wake hull requires a wedge? Or both? 

17 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:
16 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

The diamond hull or the wake hull requires a wedge? Or both? 

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html

This is one option, but you might able to find an OEM malibu one if you want.

OEM bag is junk.  The one you linked will work but you can fit bigger in there. This is a better fit: https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html

As for the wedge, I haven't played on the wake hull.  That said, the difference is so minimal in the hulls that I doubt there is much of a difference.  Surfing it is an absolute must; really lacks push without it.  Wakeboarding it is a preference...if you want a steeper/sharper lip you want the wedge.  If you like a rampier wake, you don't.

@Nitrousbird, i tried to send pm, but it says you can't receive messages? Sorry to further thread jack, but it goes along op's problem. You're saying I shouldn't waste my time trying to surf a 2001 wake hull without a wedge? I just built a suck gate and was about to buy some ballast, but I don't want to waste $ if it won't work. 

2 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

@Nitrousbird, i tried to send pm, but it says you can't receive messages? Sorry to further thread jack, but it goes along op's problem. You're saying I shouldn't waste my time trying to surf a 2001 wake hull without a wedge? I just built a suck gate and was about to buy some ballast, but I don't want to waste $ if it won't work. 

I noticed a huge difference using the wedge vs not using the wedge. Wasnt big enough with out it to go ropeless. 

I have 2002 VLX Wake Hull,  750lbs in each rear locker, 500 Mid, 600 Bow bag. Manual Wedge down. Creates a decent wave, hoping suckgate will take me all the way there. 

2 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Sorry, my inbox was full.

With enough weight, you can surf it without the wedge.  But I'd give 1000lbs of ballast up easily before I'd give up my wedge - it is that much of a difference.  The wake looks similar with and without it but the push is very different.  With lower amounts of ballast (a mistake I made when I started) it was unsurfable without the wedge.  With the 3200lbs I have now, it is surfable without the wedge engaged but much better with it engaged.  Read:  it is not a minor difference.  Major difference in push.  This isn't the case with all of the Malibu hulls...some don't benefit much from the wedge surfing.  With the SV23 it benefits greatly.

I have a 96 vlx with 850's in the back on each side and a 325 in ski locker. However none of my bags are completely full because of space restriction.  I have a homemade ronix shaper, a 1235 prop, no wedge, on the sv23 hull and my wave has plenty of push. I'd guess I'm running 1600 lbs of ballast. I'd say just add more weight and just slightly more on surf side. I just move people around to change the shape.   Your wave will be great once u dial it in.  Here's some shots of my wave we all suck but have lots of fun.7B47C0E2-A7BB-46CD-9A9D-91CE35A82A4C_zps

BCE75D11-BB63-4B56-9D67-21FE520B1AE7_zps

8A2244C2-17FC-4571-B9E7-A404DAA0AA55_zps

Edited by Shastasurf
  • Like 1