Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing walkthrough pads

Anyone know for sure how the padded panels on the side of the walkthrough are attached in a 2012 VTX?  I was crawling around under the dash and didn't see any fasteners from the backside.  Saw one tree clip towards outside of panel, wondering if it is just a bunch of tree clips holding them on.  Need to remove the drivers side to get at the windshield support screw(s) which have come loose.

If it helps at all on my 06 vlx the walk through vinyl is held in by only tree clips.  If you found one than I'm sure they are all tree clips on yours.  I had to take mine off for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

My '10 is through bolted in the corners. If I open up the observer side cubby I can see my bolts.

I'll look closer, but I was under the dash and couldn't find any screws or nuts that appeared to be holding the combing pad on.  I'm only concerned about the drivers side at the moment as that is the support bar that is loose.  If it isn't 90 in the garage tonight I'll try to take another look.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 2 weeks later...

Well for posterity - on my 2012 nothing but tree clips.  Apparently they had to drill the boat twice to get the holes in the right place ;)  Happily they all came out with no damage to them.  Next time I have to tighten those screws I think I'll see if I can get some screws with nuts on them instead of the wood screws.

WP_20160819_13_43_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20160819_13_44_00_Pro.jpg