Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weird ticking in belt area and metal ring in bilge

On water today and this ticking starts in the belt area. throw the anchor down to take a look and find this metal coat hangar like ring in the bilge. No more ticking though. Anyone no what this is?????

3114CCDC-93F0-41A8-8C75-81A77DC16887.jpg

Edited by Marksa1458
Clarity

Is it possible that they used this type of clamp on the blower?

image.jpeg

the blower sits right above the belt assembly.  Neither side of the blower had any type of clamp  

Seems to be running fine. Oils all look good, temp right at 160, oil pressure between 40 and 60 psi and voltage at 14 volts. Did put it in and out of gear and the noise didn't change when it was happening.  We ran a solid 2 hours after and all seemed good  

Although when you think something maybe wrong you hear all kinds of little noises and think the worst - wonder if there is a name for that. 

Edited by Marksa1458
Spelling
  • Like 1

Coyote - can you explain a bit more?  The damper plate is in-between the transmission engine correct?  What am I looking for?  Do you know what that part could be?  Thx

17 minutes ago, coyote055 said:

Declare victory if you must, but I would get an inspection camera, pull your starter, and have a look at your damper plate.

Posts like this make people afraid of their own shadow :biggrin:   I get it, he has an 05 where the damper plates were issues, but what information in here leads you to suspect a damper plate failure?

Will definately pull the starter and take a look, that's easy enough to do.. If it was replaced before I bought the boat last year - is there a way to tell?

If it was changed last summer, it could be that whoever changed it, did a quickie job and left the wire in there. That's what happened in my case, and it jammed the starter the following summer. Hopefully that's what happened with yours and the wire found it's way out instead of into your starter bendix. In which case, I would do as Ndawg said and declare victory.

As far as being able to tell if it's new or not, I don't know. If it's only a year old, I would think that the paint should still look good, or if they replaced it with an upgraded plate, it may have enclosed springs. Good luck.

Pulled starter and found spring parts:

064EF852-960C-4005-98F5-277C75F308D6.jpg

off to the dealer - they are an hour away and 2 weeks back logged. Awesome. 

Thanks for the help, better found now before the thing detonated and did even more damage. 

4 hours ago, tvano said:

great catch coyote

Coyote gets 100 gold stars IMO - perfect example of why this forum is so fantastic!

Bet he could even catch a road runner!!

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Coyote gets 100 gold stars IMO - perfect example of why this forum is so fantastic!

Bet he could even catch a road runner!!

wearing his 'acme flack jacket' to protect from a detonating flex plate.

• Like 2

Glad you found it before it left you stuck on the water. There is still the off chance that it has been replaced and someone left the scrap metal in the bell housing. I hope that it works out that way.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, but I'm too old to chase road runners. Flack jacket or not.

I am very happy to find this issue before the damper plate grenaded, but a $1,000 repair bill on a part that should last forever on a boat I payed a premium for so I wouldn't have these issues is discouraging to say the least. 

Please don't take that statement the wrong way. The folks on this forum have been extremely awesome helping and with their knowledge. And coyote's advice probably saved me a ton lof money But......

i drove an hour and change yesterday to leave my boat at a dealership that at best will be able to fix it in two weeks, and I might get it back with a week or two left in our season. Just a little depressed my boat isn't in my driveway and me and the kids aren't on the lake doing some skiing. :(

Edited by Marksa1458

You might want to look at this, I believe Indmar had an issue with poorly machined bell housings around this time (2005).  A misaligned bell housing can causes damper plate failures.  I believe many damper plates have been replaced with a heavy duty version, when the real source of the failure was the bellhousing.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

To close the loop on this, I just got my boat back from the shop.  Haven't had it in the water yet, but they did a water test and gave it a clean bill of health.  All in all, this repair took just short of 4 weeks and the final bill was $1,800 - now I did have them replace the prop shaft packing and there was a tiny oil leak that they fixed as well.  They ended up removing the engine/transmission/vdrive to repair the flex damper plate.  The receipt is attached below.  

I took it to the only Malibu certified dealer in my area and the overall experience was mixed at best.  The customer service was absolutely non existent, no phone calls, emails or anything- I had to chase them down.  They finally sent me an email today with a bill, when I went up there last Friday because I was completely fed up, they said it would be done Saturday at the latest and they would give me a call.  So today I get a bill, no phone call and the bill is $300 higher than the quote they gave me on Friday.  I asked them if I could take the old flex plate with me when I brought the boat in and it was not there when I picked my boat up today.  The tech I spoke with today was excellent but the inside of the boat is filthy with bits of grime on the carpet.  The tech today wore slides and went in my boat with just socks on which really impressed me. Anyway it's done and I'm happy to be back on the water...

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%205.53.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%205.53.4