Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suck Gate Helper

MadMan

My suck gate works best mounted as low and far back as possible.  But there is a large amount of water flowing over the top.  I fabed this up in about 2 minutes out of some scrap 1x8 to disrupt that water flow.  It cleaned the wake up even more, made the surf area both longer and wider.  I would have taken some photos but the rain came.  With this thing on, I can surf anywhere from 10.5 to 12 mph.  I haven't tried any other positions or sizes yet.

I also made another one that was angled down and longer to replace the suck gate, but I don't think it was long enough, the results weren't good.

IMG_2519-46_zpsfs0jjns7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On August 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM, MadMan said:

My suck gate works best mounted as low and far back as possible.  But there is a large amount of water flowing over the top.  I fabed this up in about 2 minutes out of some scrap 1x8 to disrupt that water flow.  It cleaned the wake up even more, made the surf area both longer and wider.  I would have taken some photos but the rain came.  With this thing on, I can surf anywhere from 10.5 to 12 mph.  I haven't tried any other positions or sizes yet.

I also made another one that was angled down and longer to replace the suck gate, but I don't think it was long enough, the results weren't good.

Have you tried this in he water yet? If so can you share some pics.

This was at 11mph, 1100 sacs in rear lockers as full as possible. 600 in ski locker, 750 up front.  Wedge down.  13.5 x 16 prop. 2 people on board.  Using both the suck gate and this plank^^.

2000 LSV 23.

IMG_2570-57_zpsfwnimxnx.jpg

IMG_2564-57_zpsakuigkck.jpg

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This was at 11mph, 1100 sacs in rear lockers as full as possible. 600 in ski locker, 750 up front.  Wedge down.  13.5 x 16 prop. 2 people on board.  Using both the suck gate and this plank^^.

2000 LSV 23.

IMG_2570-57_zpsfwnimxnx.jpg

IMG_2564-57_zpsakuigkck.jpg

Did you see what happens with just the plank??

Just now, t a said:

Did you see what happens with just the plank??

Yes, with just this plank not much happened.  I also tried a larger plank angled down, it didn't work either but did throw a large continuous wave of water into the boat.

Just now, MadMan said:

Yes, with just this plank not much happened.  I also tried a larger plank angled down, it didn't work either but did throw a large continuous wave of water into the boat.

You got any pics of the wave with just the suck gate by chance for comparisons sake. 

9 hours ago, skylerchamblee said:

thanks. can you give me the link at where I can get the suction cups and the dimensions of yours? sorry to keep asking, but that is a huge difference.

It's 9.5" x 13" at 45 degrees.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html

The new one works as well as the one I made last year and is much more compact.

Edited by MadMan
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, skylerchamblee said:

And that's with 1100# in the locker? What board you on?

Yes, it was 1100 sacs in both rear lockers as full as possible. 600 in ski locker, 750 up front.  Wedge down.

The board is a Ronix Koal Powertail 4'5".

• 5 months later...
On 8/6/2016 at 6:28 PM, MadMan said:

used both suck gate and plank

This is just weird. Anyone want to go physics/hydrodynamics and explain this one? seems to be incorporating both the surfgate and NSS in a way. Any padding between wood and gel? seems like its not fastened perfect and could rub bunches. Im gonna post a thread asking about fine tuning suck gates and other ideas to boost surf waves. Like trying to imitate the gen2 surf system by MC. 

20 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

This is just weird. Anyone want to go physics/hydrodynamics and explain this one? seems to be incorporating both the surfgate and NSS in a way. Any padding between wood and gel? seems like its not fastened perfect and could rub bunches. Im gonna post a thread asking about fine tuning suck gates and other ideas to boost surf waves. Like trying to imitate the gen2 surf system by MC. 

Not sure this really explains it, but it's the same concept.

29 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

The reason I tried this was I noticed a significant amount of water going over my suck-gate (it's mounted very low).  I think anything you do to disturb the water flow on the non-surf side improves the wake.

3 minutes ago, MadMan said:

The reason I tried this was I noticed a significant amount of water going over my suck-gate (it's mounted very low).  I think anything you do to disturb the water flow on the non-surf side improves the wake.

ahh I see.  adding to the thought of disturbing as much water as possible... Would extending the suck gate so that the wood reaches deeper displace more water? my dimensions are similar to yours.. but what happens if its 13" long and 20"deep?

1 hour ago, AJwakedevil said:

ahh I see.  adding to the thought of disturbing as much water as possible... Would extending the suck gate so that the wood reaches deeper displace more water? my dimensions are similar to yours.. but what happens if its 13" long and 20"deep?

I made a 2nd suck-gate that was 3 or 4 inches longer, it didn't function any better than the shorter one.